Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those in the market for a reasonably priced Freeride frame (or any frame for that matter), steer clear of any frame/bike made by KHS or you will be screwed.

After looking around for a cheap XC/FR ride I decided to get a KHS FR2000. I have a friedn that rides for KHS who had an 03 frame from last year that was sitting arround so I bought. When I get it home I discover that the shock mounting hardware is jacked and I will need to get new hardware. So I call KHS and was told to contact the shock mfg. So I call FOX and Romic, both tell me that the hardware is supplied by the bike mfg. So I call KHS again and this time ask for Customer Service Mgr, she informs me that I
"Cannot order direct from KHS and have to use my LBS."
Sure I say, can I get the part #?
"We don't have that info."
What do you mean, how do I order the part then?
"Just take it to them and they'll find something to fit"
(me starting to get aggrivated) I tell the lady that will not work, I would like the actual bolt not some makeshift part. The bike is still in mfg and parts should be available.
"Just take it to the LBS that is all the help I can offer".
Frustrated I hang up. Still 5 days now without shock hardware and no resolution in site.

People please, I beg you, do not do business with these [email protected] Save your money and spend it elsewhere wisely.

if anyone has a suggestion on where to find parts please let me know. I spent 3 hours last evening at 2 different HW stores trying to find something that would work with no luck. Thanks, just wanted to vent and hopefully save someone else this frustration.

·
Registered
192 Posts
...can you post some pics ?...

...can you post some pics, Red ? You offered me some tires (it was you, right ?) so I'll try to help you out...I'll check my shock mounting junk at home. If you just need the bolts, are they metric, like 8mm ?

Post some pics of the mounting system, like I said, I'll help you as much as I can...if I can...

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pufdup said:
Where did you buy the bike? Was it still in the box when you got it home? Why didn't you look at the bike before you bought it?
Bike was purchased from one of the KHS Semi-Pro MTX/DS riders. I didn't honestly think I need to check it, since the gentleman I bought it from is my bud. After speaking with him about this later, he told me that the original bolt got broke and he just replaced it with what he had since he needed the bike. He never thought to replace it stock, since he was going to sell it. I though no big deal I'll call KHS, I was wrong!!

It's looking like he's getting the bike back, since I cannot get parts for it this is not good.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LT1 said:
...can you post some pics, Red ? You offered me some tires (it was you, right ?) so I'll try to help you out...I'll check my shock mounting junk at home. If you just need the bolts, are they metric, like 8mm ?

Post some pics of the mounting system, like I said, I'll help you as much as I can...if I can...
LT1, honestly I'm not sure if it was you or not. But I do offer people help with tires from time to time so either way your help would be appreciated. However I will tell you this is not normal mounting hardware, at least not from what I've seen on most bikes. I will try to post pics later. Thanks

·
Removed at birth
595 Posts
Red, I noticed that you removed KHS from your "friends" list. Nice move. How does Evil feel about this situation? Can't he do anything to hook you up? Ride tomorrow at the Oaks?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pufdup said:
Have you tried any of the mail order shops that sell KHS?
Yes several online shops and local dealers and they all get the same response " call the shock mfg". Their just full of BS. I called the BBB and filed a complaint, even though it will do no good in the end.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weyvoless said:
Red, I noticed that you removed KHS from your "friends" list. Nice move. How does Evil feel about this situation? Can't he do anything to hook you up? Ride tomorrow at the Oaks?
Yeah, I don't hold allot of regard for them. Their team riders are cool, but as a company they s*ck!!! Sadly, Evil is racing in Idaho and then Colorado for the next few weeks so I cannot bother him. Unfortunately, I doubt there is anything he can do since the team riders I guess couldn't get them either. At least that was the feeling I got from Evil. Nice company!!! What time at Oaks?? Shuttle??

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
red5 said:
Yes several online shops and local dealers and they all get the same response " call the shock mfg". Their just full of BS. I called the BBB and filed a complaint, even though it will do no good in the end.
to the best of my knowledge it is the shock manufacturer who provides the hardware.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dante said:
to the best of my knowledge it is the shock manufacturer who provides the hardware.
Only the bushings and reducers, not the bolts, at least according to Fox and Romic. And I'm more inclined to beleive them since KHS didn't even want or care to help me.

·
Broken and dizzy
694 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
another reason to buy a FOES ........
Amen brother! Foes rocks!

Red, I feel your pain man. Personally, I'd call Fox or Romic back and explian to them what's going on. Don't be aggressive, just be truthful and sob it up a little. Hopefully, things will get straightened out. Good luck.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Surfinguru said:
Amen brother! Foes rocks!

Red, I feel your pain man. Personally, I'd call Fox or Romic back and explian to them what's going on. Don't be aggressive, just be truthful and sob it up a little. Hopefully, things will get straightened out. Good luck.
I'd tried all that with Fox and Romic. Beleive me I was being very humble with Fox, Romic and even KHS (in the beginning). But when KHS started telling me that basically they cannot help and weren't even willing to try, I pretty much started to develop an attitude with them.

Romic did offer up a nut/bolt supplier in my area that might ba able to help, so tomorrow I'm taking my frame and shock over to them and keeping my fingers crossed. I hope this works out, I really like the frame and don't expect any further problems after this so once this gets sorted I should be good. Thanks for the tip.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
There are stores around the specialize in weird bolts... that is, if you can't find something at the hardware store....

Anyways, check the yellow pages for "bolts". Most towns of decent size will have such a place, it's usually right next to the bearing store and three doors down from the guy who does powdercoating.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
singletrack said:
There are stores around the specialize in weird bolts... that is, if you can't find something at the hardware store....

Anyways, check the yellow pages for "bolts". Most towns of decent size will have such a place, it's usually right next to the bearing store and three doors down from the guy who does powdercoating.
Yeah I tried the LHS, nothing. Anyhow, I wouldn't be so upset except the fact is that this is not an average run of the mill fastner. It's really trick check my f*d up pic..

Attachments

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
red5 said:
Yeah I tried the LHS, nothing. Anyhow, I wouldn't be so upset except the fact is that this is not an average run of the mill fastner. It's really trick check my f*d up pic..
Nice illustration....

Hey my buddies KHS 504 broke and we cut out the bb to send back... but the shock hardware is still laying around somewhwere. Possibly the same... they look similar to your drawing, probably the same length/diameter. You got a caliper or something you can get a real measurment with? If they're the same you're welcome to the hardware. PM if you want.

I gotta go to work now, wont be back for a while...

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
singletrack said:
Nice illustration....

Hey my buddies KHS 504 broke and we cut out the bb to send back... but the shock hardware is still laying around somewhwere. Possibly the same... they look similar to your drawing, probably the same length/diameter. You got a caliper or something you can get a real measurment with? If they're the same you're welcome to the hardware. PM if you want.

I gotta go to work now, wont be back for a while...
PM sent. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.