Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tires you'd like to buy, if they existed

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vote! Tires we'd buy instantly, if they would just make them already.

We can only put 10 tires in the poll, so I'll have to make a selection from the nominees, and list those that seem to contribute mst to our current selection, and thus the best investment for tire manufacturers to put on the market.

Please vote your THREE (3) favorites. No more, no less!!

Road/XC Race (my wildcard)
-Schwalbe SuperMOTO 29x2.35"(fastest rolling tire on earth, period?. Superb on sand)

XC Race.
-Nokian NBX Lite 2.2" (dry allround)
-Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" (dry hardpack and sand, huge volume)
-Continental Twister Pro 1.9" (do-all race tire for many, XC and cross)

XC/Trail
-Hutchinson Python 2.0 (dry)
-Panaracer TrailRaker 2.1 (mud)
-Hutchinson Spider 2.3 (all conditions good grip)

Trail/FR
-Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 (I herd a rumor they're a-coming, good tires apparently in 26")
-Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4" (big and alround util it gets too loose)
-Bontrager Big Earl 2.5" (good dry&wet)

Again, please vote your THREE (3) favorites. No more, no less to keep it straight!!

Votes will be public to ensure fair voting :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably another typo, but I had to write the polls blind for very boring technical reasons. Supermods please help out here?

G

·
WTB Weirwolf, no question. This is one of two tires I ran when I rode 26" wheels (Panaracer Fire Pro's were the other)

G

·
So, you're saying I should vote for three tires, even though I may not have any experience with any of them but one (Kenda Blue Groove). Should I pick the other two based on their cool sounding names? or should I pick them based on some magazine review I may have read that was tested in conditions probably totally different than where I ride? :confused:

I wouldn't "instantly" buy any tire just because it's now a 29er that I didn't already have some ride time on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
nbx, cold chillin in effect:)

Cloxxki said:
We can only put 10 tires in the poll, so I'll have to make a selection from the nominees, and list those that seem to contribute mst to our current selection, and thus the best investment for tire manufacturers to put on the market.

Please vote your THREE (3) favorites. No more, no less!!

Road/XC Race (my wildcard)
-Schwalbe SuperMOTO 29x2.35"(fastest rolling tire on earth, period?. Superb on sand)

XC Race.
-Nokian NBX Lite 2.2" (dry allround)
-Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" (dry hardpack and sand, huge volume)
-Continental Twister Pro 1.9" (do-all race tire for many, XC and cross)

XC/Trail
-Hutchinson Python 2.0 (dry)
-Panaracer TrailRaker 2.1 (mud)
-Hutchinson Spider 2.3 (all conditions good grip)

Trail/FR
-Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 (I herd a rumor they're a-coming, good tires apparently in 26")
-Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4" (big and alround util it gets too loose)
-Bontrager Big Earl 2.5" (good dry&wet)

Again, please vote your THREE (3) favorites. No more, no less to keep it straight!!

Votes will be public to ensure fair voting :)
xc race
For me the nokian nbx is the best tire I have ever ridden.sand,mud,rock it has it all and is fairly light also.since I have already picked I feel I can no throw another name of recomended tires out there,the huchison mosquito.I've ridden this tire everwhere also and it has never let me down.The one thing the nbx has over it is slightly better grip on very steep climbs.
xc trail
This is where I start to have less input.I have riddden alot of tires over the years but i guess I never pick the popular ones so all I can say about these nominees is that I rode the python only and it sucked.Sorry if I offend anyone but with my riding style and type of terrain in manitoba I found it very slow and very chincy on the traction.I think if I had to pick one to purchase in the store I'd give the spider a go.
trail/free ride
the blue groove has the tread I like.I have only rode this tire once at a very technical trail and it had way more traction than I expected.

I was also wondering if everyone could post there most disappointing tires and where they were ridden so it that info can be used for future purchases.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in western Europe.

I picked the SuperMoto, for pissing off the roadies and just have a fast but comfortable commute. To sav some really precious trails, I'd use it as a rear where I might skid the rear a bit bit really don't need the traction. Faster than anyway.
The racing Ralph because it combines outright speed with mad grip on dry trails.
The Conti Twister becuase it really would offer a great race choice for any condition, even really clayey. Does clog up at all, nothing to clog up. Light too.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I'm not really sure what to think of this. I voted, but for tires I've not really even seen, much less ridden. Cloxxki, I think you kinda jumped the gun here a bit by closing the other thread.

The schwalbe's get great reviews from folks the have ridden them, so the RR got on my list. I'd buy one if they weren't so freakin' expensive. Also voted for the Hutchinson Spider. I like bigger tires that roll well, and the Pythons were nice and volumnus, but tread weak. The spider should make that up. Haven't ridden this either. The panaracer 2.1 I also voted for, I rode the 26" version and liked it well enough. I think they'd do better by making the 2.25 Cinder actually.

And the one tire that got missed that I WOULD buy instantly is the Conti Vertical Pro 2.3. I LOVED this tire in the 26" version. If Conti made one, I'd be all over it, as would many other folks. I think Cloxxki needs to add this to the list above there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.