Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the mtb paradise thread. Those places are beautiful and its cool that entire mtb communities of riders have developed there. Never take that great riding or having friends to ride with there for granted.

But it got me thinking that I'd really like to hear from those who are creative and/or persistent enough in finding ways to enjoy the sport living in places where riding is limited, few people understand or care about your enthusiasm for mtb, and/or there's few or no decent LBS's to support your interest.

So where are these places? What are the biggest challenges of riding there? How have you overcome them?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking for riding might be challenging:

Somalia. Those pirates would be all over you trying to steal your bike, helmet, gloves, etc. Hopefully they'd let you keep your clothes.

Taliban strongholds of Afganistan would probably suck. Those f*ckers all ride horses and probably don't allow any fair bike access to the state parks.

Haiti - good luck finding a good bike shop with an expresso machine.

Boston - a bunch of unfriendly drunken Ma$$holes who find it sporting to run bikers off the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Scott O said:

Somalia. Those pirates would be all over you trying to steal your bike, helmet, gloves, etc. Hopefully they'd let you keep your clothes.

Taliban strongholds of Afganistan would probably suck. Those f*ckers all ride horses and probably don't allow any fair bike access to the state parks.

Boston - a bunch of unfriendly drunken Ma$$holes who find it sporting to run bikers off the road.
HEY IM FROM BOSTON YOU'Z IDIOT

·
On wuss patrol
5,139 Posts
PDX...agro-enviros...Forest Park...no more needs to be said.

·
commie
245 Posts
Mikecito said:
Marin County/Bay Area should be up there on the list.
What is your personal experience with living/riding in the Marin County/Bay Area?

What makes you think that the riding in the Bay Area "is limited, few people understand or care about your enthusiasm for mtb, and/or there's few or no decent LBS's to support your interest"?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mikecito said:
Marin County/Bay Area should be up there on the list.
Thats got to be a joke.

Marin is the one of best places to ride in the bay. The only issue with bay area riding has to be the state parks making single track only hiker/horse friendly. Which is way more prevalent in the East Bay than the North Bay.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Chicagoloand pretty much sucks for mountain biking and cycling. On the roads motorists are complete $$holes and extremely dangerous. They yell and throw sh*t at you. Mountain biking wise there simply aren't good trails. If you find a trail you'll have to ride through swarms of mosquitoes and the weather will probably suck. Brutally cold winters, ridiculously humid summers. The people generally don't like to exercise and don't understand the attraction to bicycles. As a cyclist and mountain biker when I moved to Colorado my quality of life went up astronomically.

2wheels

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Scott O said:
We're talking about Mountain Biking right? Right. Then Boston is one of the best large cities in the US for riding, and the best in the northeast. There are tons of trails tucked in everywhere, and some of the most technical and cared for AM riding you'll find anywhere. However, i could never live there because i'm not a huge fan of the people there either. That's just a personal preference though. It also cost as much as NYC to live around there, and it isn't NYC. The Boston MTB community is unfortunately littered with jerks that give all decent moraled riders a bad name. Openly drinking in the lot, changing openly in the lot, with no regard for people outside of the community or the impact it has on others in the community.

One of the worst places for MTB that i'm aware of is the Adirondack State Park in upstate NY. The Adirondacks are huge, and beautiful. However Mountain biking is not allowed in the majority of the park. So it gets my vote because there is so much potential there that isn't allowed to be tapped. The Dax could be a Mountain bike destination and the area could really benefit from the money. Instead the center of the Dax is littered with struggling towns.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
idbrian said:
We're talking about Mountain Biking right? Right. . Openly drinking in the lot, changing openly in the lot, with no regard for people outside of the community or the impact it has on others in the community. .
Yes, talking about mtb in Boston. In addition to what you point out above, there are also naked dudes jogging through the woods all year long and the cops do nothing about it.

I think that was me openly drinking and changing in the lot. Sorry.:eekster:

·
CEO Product Failure
1,697 Posts
Gotta go with S. F L O R I D A for this list. There are two, maybe three good trails (Oleta, Markham, Amelia) but after that, not so much. The guys who build and maintain Markham especially should be recognized in creating such a beautiful Oasis amidst the sweltering heat and humidity. To ride Markham (or any trail) requires 1.5-to-2 times the amount of frustrating windshield time. Yeah you could ride to the trail and arrive sooner but you would never arrive alive. Road rides? Make sure your life insurance is current. It's not so much the climate/geography as it is the transient S. FL society. Their ideals and lifestyle do not value (1) other's, (2) other people in general, or (3)physical activity.

Apologies in advance to any S. Florida residents. I sympathize with your demise.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Scott O said:
I think that was me openly drinking and changing in the lot. Sorry.:eekster:
It's a problem. It ticks me off because i would love to booze it up in the lot but i'm plagued by my consideration for others.

I've seen plenty of Mass plates drinking in the lots at Mt A in Maine. The lot is only a pull off of the side of the main road.

·
Vermonter to the Core
435 Posts
Scott O said:

I have to agree about Boston.. the riding may be good but in general the people are a bunch of jacka$$es....

For my vote, the worst place to ride is where they do not allow riding!!
JEM

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Eastbay stinks. The legal single track is measued in yards instead of miles.There are way too many loose dogs and hikers.I hear rangers give speeding tickets also.

·
Registered
796 Posts
idbrian said:
One of the worst places for MTB that i'm aware of is the Adirondack State Park in upstate NY. The Adirondacks are huge, and beautiful. However Mountain biking is not allowed in the majority of the park. So it gets my vote because there is so much potential there that isn't allowed to be tapped. The Dax could be a Mountain bike destination and the area could really benefit from the money. Instead the center of the Dax is littered with struggling towns.
This is changing. There are several groups working on opening mtb access and building trails across the area. Granted, the area has been slow to embrace mtb's but ADK and NY/NJ Trail Conference have warmed up to mtb's in the past few years, which helps. Plus local govt's are starting to get clued into the potential $$$ that mtb destinations can bring in. Progress... at the speed of government, but at least things are moving in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts