Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MTB Withdrawal
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a couple months since I've hit the trails (college and all that), but one thing I will never forget is a bike that in all honesty, should not have existed.

A Wal-Mart bike, with RaceFace cranks and Mavic Crossrides.

LOLWUT???

Scary part is, the guy was climbing pretty decently.:eek:

·
uhhhhhyea
335 Posts
So... what about it made it a walmart bike? Seems kinda bizarre someone who would know enough to find those parts would put them on a piece of shizer from wally world.

You weren't the least bit curious to stop and talk to them? maybe they were just rocking the NEXT and Great Value stickers on a nice bike to seem ironic?

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Maybe he broke his frame and had a shitty wal-mart lying around? I've got a crappy caloi frame in the garage and if I break my unit I'd probably throw everything on there till I could save up for a Ti frame.

·
old part timer
137 Posts
We had a customer bring a older schwinn bike into our local shop. I was helping out due the owner being on a honeymoon. The bike had an XTR deraileur, wheels off of a intro level bikewith a seven cog cassette, and shifters for 8 from who knows where. Trying to explain to the owner of the bike that it would be a very expensive fix to make it perfect was tough. When I asked him where the mismatched parts came from he said his son bought them.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Ha-ha my first Giant Boulder SE doesn't have a stock part on it.

X9 shifters, Carbon bar, Minute fork, Mavic rims, Truvativ cranks, Thompson post...not one stock component.

...and its my winter bike!:p

Does this qualify? It was a $500 bike?

·
Registered
428 Posts
lpranal said:
So... what about it made it a walmart bike? Seems kinda bizarre someone who would know enough to find those parts would put them on a piece of shizer from wally world.

You weren't the least bit curious to stop and talk to them? maybe they were just rocking the NEXT and Great Value stickers on a nice bike to seem ironic?
I really wanted to do that with my bike...get my hands on some NEXT/Huffy/Magna stickers along with the requisite "21 speeds" and Shimano crap to go on the stays. Oh...and something to cover up the Reba Team badges. I think that would rock to go riding with people you don't know and just totally own on this cheap azz bike. Not to mention it would be a lot less of a theft target.

Of course...anyone who knows bikes would spot it in an instant.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Tweezak said:
I really wanted to do that with my bike...get my hands on some NEXT/Huffy/Magna stickers along with the requisite "21 speeds" and Shimano crap to go on the stays. Oh...and something to cover up the Reba Team badges. Not to mention it would be a lot less of a theft target.
When I built my bike, I bead blasted all the paint off, leaving no labels on it, and you know how plain and, maybe even, cheap, bare aluminum can look, especially after it oxidizes nicely and gets that dull look. Of course, I did the same thing to my SID lowers. I got a lot of looks and, "what kind of bike is that :???: ???" comments. If only I'd thought of getting a Huffy sticker, I would have been all set... 20lb "Huffy" with Rolf wheels may have caused a few elitist heads to explode.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
My unit SS is stealth too. Stripped and powder coated blue. Maybe a rattlecan camo paint job and some PBR stickers to make it completely white trash. Wouldn't get a 2nd look in a crowded bike rack in front of a building. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
a mate rides a 1995 mongoose hilltopper with XT/717 wheels, rebas, juicy ultimates (only on the front cos the frame has no rear disc mounts), rf deus xc controls, sdg fx saddle, x9 drivetrain - everything is '08 gear... i lol everytime i see it. he swears he's going to upgrade the frame one day...

·
Registered
49 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Wonder which they spent more on, that, or their Dodge Neon, with all the requisite trunk mounted shopping cart handles, lowering apparati, fart pipe, and thump system :rolleyes: :D
This guy is more likely to roll in either a '64 impala with 100 spoke 13" gold daytons, a candy paintjob with lots of gold flake, a trunk full of hydro's and speakers, and a chain steering wheel. Or a late model caprice with 26" wheels, a garish paint job, and lifted higher than a 4wd pickup.

·
Registered
555 Posts
for my first attempt at MTBing

I had bought a mid level Schwinn that had been run over by a car, at a yardsale. I transferred all the parts to a Columbia frame. and rode that for one season. This is talking early ninteys. Complete LX Walgoose. Enjoyed that bike nontheless. Look where it led. Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.