Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to keep the VRC microverse in balance, a sister to ckevlar's thread.............

Jamis Dragon - been in production almost continuously since early 1990s (still steel AFAIK) - reviews well - got a certain under-the-radar cool - never see them mentioned on here.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Most under rated, probably mostly due to the fact I've never seen another, (and sticking with your theme!) 1987 Jamis Dakota LTD. All black, braze ons for the shoulder pad/bag (you know you wanted one), fender, rack and three bottles. Suntour PowerCams with cool Jamis cordura covers to keep the crap out, a Tange double butted frame. Managed to finagle a "last years" Deore drivetrain (from the head wrenches bike, who had just gotten the "new" XT, ooooo....) onto it, and then the story begins.....

My first mtb, from the first shop I worked at, and probably a big part of why I'm still in love with bikes.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Great thread idea...

I think the '87 Paramountain might qualify here. It doesn't get too much attention here, although I'm not sure if that's because there aren't that many, or because of limited interest. Regardless, it's a limited-production, lugged Prestige frame tied to Ned Overend's 1986 NORBA nationals victory. I'm a big fan of the way mine rides - quick, but not twitchy, and it's nice and light.

I suppose the 1988 Schwinn KOM might fit into the same category - I believe it's a very similar frame. I've never ridden that one, though.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
colker1 said:
Brew, Cherry bicycles, Smorgasbord..
Brew, not so much. I wanted one so bad when I was working in a shop, but just couldn't swing one at the time. I recall Steve's bikes being refered to as single season race bikes, and when I finally scored one for my wire a couple years ago I found out why. Way underbuild and potentially a lack of technical expertice in building with lightweight tubing (Tange Prestige).

The 180 Proof I picked up had a small crack under the seat collar. I had Rody repair it for me. After he stripped the paint off he found that somebody had repaired the crack once before with some silver. Well, the bike had original paint, so it had cracked in the process of being built and was repaired prior to paint.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Curtlo is a good one, but maybe too small-scale to be underrated?

I would also concur with Jamis. Nice spec. Higher end ones made at Serotta, no?

I'd also say Bridgestone counts as underrated. Perhaps they were too understated for the early 90s mtb scene. Stodgy sounding name (well, to my ears anyway), but nice riding bikes with good aesthetics.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
yo-Nate-y said:
Curtlo is a good one, but maybe too small-scale to be underrated?

I'd also say Bridgestone counts as underrated. Perhaps they were too understated for the early 90s mtb scene. Stodgy sounding name (well, to my ears anyway), but nice riding bikes with good aesthetics.
Otis Guy, but I think they fall into the same too small scale as well.

I've liked the Bridgestones I've tried, so I agree with you there.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
I'm not judging, just asking, didn't we just have this thread around Thanksgiving?

Underrated bikes I've personally owned and and almost never see posts on Miele and Yakota for starters. There are a ton of underrated small builders so I won't count them. I would also have to say the late-80s Rockhoppers in particular as the Stumpjumpers have a weird following and lots of knee-jerk detractors, but the Rockhoppers get almost no love at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Boulder Bikes – they got it right the first time with their single pivot design.

Barracuda – specifically the A2X.

GT Zaskar X – best looking and strongest of all the Zaskars.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have to agree with Cegrover about the early Paramountions and KOM's but I'd also include the early 90's Paramount PDG Series 90's, I've had one and I wish I didnt sell it. Handled great/excellent sterring/lite, it was a fun rider and was the lightest steering bike I've ever owned. Wanted 17" frame/fork :D

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
S Works steel, Series 80/90 Paramount's, Monster Fats, tigged Salsa's, Privateer's, Ultra's.

·
rigid bruce
179 Posts
I think Bridgestones are overrated. They get a lot of attention for a quirky but otherwise average mass produced bike. I've owned a zip, Mb-1 and a XO-1 and for the rocky, steep trails in the northeast the Fats I've owned/own were all much better. Other than build quality this is all personal taste.
bruce b.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.