Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, what is the most secure clipless MTB pedal?

Secure as in being locked in like a road sprinter would.

I have been on Time pedals for years. I have 4 sets, but 3/4 are worn(retention bars, retention bar axle, and body) and need some work to regain that secure connection.

So I have been considering making a total switch to Shimano. Would the connection to the pedal be more secure than a Time? Especially with the "one direction cleat" and the tension torqued down all the way.

If not Shimano, what other brands should I consider?

Thanks!
Sheepo

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
As the title suggests, what is the most secure clipless MTB pedal?

Secure as in being locked in like a road sprinter would.

So I have been considering making a total switch to Shimano. Would the connection to the pedal be more secure than a Time? Especially with the "one direction cleat" and the tension torqued down all the way.

If not Shimano, what other brands should I consider?

Thanks!
Sheepo
I only know shimano....I have a pair of XTRs no really wear on the pedal itself...but the cleats do wear out and cause releases...

So with a new cleat (every year???) they are pretty hard to pull out of....

I ride with the spring tension set at minimum....I have pulled out on an out of the saddle climb....with old cleats.

·
No. Just No.
5,285 Posts
To eliminate one entire brand from contention, it's certain the answer isn't any flavour of Eggbeater or other CB pedal. That's all I use and I lov'em, but it sure isn't because of any remotely solid retention feel.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Do any of your time pedals have adjustable tension? Might try increasing tension a little. Tried new cleats? Replacing four sets of pedals is a bummer. Must be logging some serious miles for all four to wear out at once.

Never have cared for the feel of Shimano pedals. Much prefer time. Might purchase one set of pedals for a test?

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I am currently using Shimano M530s and have no issues with them staying in tight. They are the cheaper version of the XT785/XTR985s. I have the multi release cleats in with the tension cranked as high as it will go. When I use the single release cleats I have to turn the tension down because they hold my shoe in too well. My buddy, who uses the single release cleats, tried my new bike out the other day and said "you like these to hold your foot in like someone super glued them?" I told him it's the cleats and that I forgot to tell him with single release they would be crazy tight.

So in short, I think Shimano SPDs will be plenty secure since my lower end work just fine.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,085 Posts
Do any of your time pedals have adjustable tension? Might try increasing tension a little. Tried new cleats? Replacing four sets of pedals is a bummer. Must be logging some serious miles for all four to wear out at once.

Never have cared for the feel of Shimano pedals. Much prefer time. Might purchase one set of pedals for a test?
My thoughts exactly. When my Times get that lose feeling I just replace the cleats and they tighten right back up. I have the the adjustable tension screws but I set them 6 years ago and have never touched them again. But that's another option to tighten thing's up.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only know shimano....I have a pair of XTRs no really wear on the pedal itself...but the cleats do wear out and cause releases...

So with a new cleat (every year???) they are pretty hard to pull out of....

I ride with the spring tension set at minimum....I have pulled out on an out of the saddle climb....with old cleats.
It is enticing that the pedal/retention system doesnt wear out with shimano(besides cleats)
Do you ever find that the shimano pedal digs into the bottom of your shoe, deforming your sole? This is a big issue with Time and Crank Bros...

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I keep my tension cranked down all the way on my adjustable sets of times.
New cleats would help a little, but 2 of my 4 sets have developed play in the retention bars due to worn retention bar axles (among other things)

I log a lot of miles, ride fairly aggressively, and dont take it too easy on equipment for a 165lb dude.

Im thinking a cheap pair of SPDs might be the ticket to test the waters!

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses everyone!! Looking like I am going to try out some cheapo shimanos, and if I like them Ill buy a couple nice sets for the 2 mtn bikes and cross bike!

Sheepo

·
Banned
266 Posts
Are you by chance using the newer retention bar times that are made of aluminum, flat and bend easely? They also can disengage with a pedal strike from the bottum. The springs are joined and work together. Similar to egg betters.

The older design steel retention bars that are round are a little more solid. The top and bottum springs are also independent of one another. So if you do strike a rock, they won't release. You pay a slight weight penalty, but it's worth it if you ride rocky areas. I much prefer the independant releases for both sides.

Take a look at Time Roc 2. It's last year's model. Picked up a pair this winter for $60 bucks shipped. The same model this year was renamed xc 4. It's selling for $120.

After riding time for 15 years. I couldn't imagine going back to Shimano design.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know you can reverse the cleats on the TIME for more retention, right? Switch the cleats between your 2 shoes (put left on right and right on left) And I guarantee you will NEVER pull out of them.

Spokewrench Cycles: Time ATAC XS Pedals Reviewed

Read paragraph 2.
Funny you mention that. I gave the 17 degree a try when I last replaced my cleats.
Ill start by saying I am VERY flexible. Especially the way my knees rotate.

I found that when I corner really hard (raised inside pedal, rotated hips in direction of corner, etc) my outside foot would pop out of the pedal (With my heel rotating toward the bike).
It also would happen occasionally when I jump the bike... My knee joints have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
My Time ATAC pedals have been perfect for several years.

I just started riding Speedplay on my road bike and I agree...you're feet aren't coming loose by accident.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts