Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting some brake really soon for the RFX and thinking about the 7's or the Carbons. Seems a lot of you run these in spite of the pulsing issues, or noise I have heard about. Are you mostly pretty happy with these? Do you think the ones being sold now are having the same issues?
Thanks

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I have the 04 juicy 7 and mine have worked well. They came with the round (not wavy) 203mm rotors. I have been very happy with them.

One note - buy the bleed kit when you order the brakes. One of mine came low on fluid and you have to have the Avid kit to bleed them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Love my Juicy Sevens. Worlds better than my Hayes HFX-9's in terms of noise, modulation, power, and adjustability. I went with the Sevens over the Carbons because the 25 grams in weight savings wasn't worth the extra $50 to me.

I do remember reading about some people having some noise issues with the Juicy's, but I believed these were fixed by switching to better pads.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
scepticshock said:
I am going to be getting some brake really soon for the RFX and thinking about the 7's or the Carbons. Seems a lot of you run these in spite of the pulsing issues, or noise I have heard about. Are you mostly pretty happy with these? Do you think the ones being sold now are having the same issues?
Thanks
I'm happy with mine on my Burner and have a set ordered to go with the soon to be RFX. Mine pulsate occasionally up front and the rear can squeal pretty bad in wet or dusty conditions, I put on a set of Galfer pads up front and that has quieted the front, will replace the rear with a pair also. Larry posted about the '07 Juicys being cheaper also and going back to the round rotors I believe which might help with the pulsing and squealing.

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
scepticshock said:
Thanks
I've been running the Juicys on my Pack for about a year. I've never been really happy with them. I tried the Galfer pads and rotors, which helped the pulsing problem somewhat. I've had other niggling problems that I have not experienced on other brakes I've used. I'm really happy with the Shimano Saint brakes. I find the modulation and feel to be better than the Juicys. I'll be swiching the Pack over to Shimano brakes later this year.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I've been running the Juicys on my Pack for about a year. I've never been really happy with them. I tried the Galfer pads and rotors, which helped the pulsing problem somewhat. I've had other niggling problems that I have not experienced on other brakes I've used. I'm really happy with the Shimano Saint brakes. I find the modulation and feel to be better than the Juicys. I'll be swiching the Pack over to Shimano brakes later this year.
...SK, do you find the Saints to have a superhuman amount of power? I have run shimano XT's & Hope Minis [mono] for years & the Saint I am using up front on the RFX just seems way to powerful even with the 160 rotor I have resorted to. The brake also seems to engage with the lever too far from the bar as well. I am using the XT levers from about 4-5 years ago....dunno if there is a major difference from the current levers or not. I like the dependability of the Shimano Saints....just wish there was more modulation & less violent OTB inducing power...personally.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Other than Shimano and Formula, I think I've ridden a sampling or two from each manufacturer the past two years at the Interbike Dirt Demo, and I've always left prefering the Juicys. Adjustability, ergonomics, modulation are all better with the Juicys. The only downside is that it can be tough to eliminate the studdering and squealing in dry conditions and impossible in wet conditions.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
love the juicy

The Juicy 7 has been my favorite brake so far. I've run XT, XTR, Magura Marta, Juicy 7s and Hayes HFX all in the last few years. The modulation of the Juicy 7 is great. Where I could tell the biggest difference was in the last 5% of braking power before locking up the wheel. The Juicy's kept modulating where other brakes started to feel on/off. The Avid's are super easy to set up, too.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I love the juicy too, tried all sorts Hopes, probably all of them, XTR, XT, Deore, Magura and I am definitely sold on Avid Juicy's, currently running sme carbons at the moment.

I had some 165mm on one bike (Uzzi VPX) and they did suffer slightly from pulsing although this was never a problem, I have 185mm on my current bike and they don't have the problem at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All brakes have issues!

Ok, here we go!

Shimano Deore M555:
My 1st set of disks. No problems, very reliable, just not super powerful. Great brakes!

Magura Marta SL:
After a bit of brake-in, they have the best feel and modulation. Bad lever design will stick in wet weather and needs to be lubed and they will fade on technical desents. No return spring in the caliper makes them sensitive to muck. Super happy with mine though!

Juicy 7s:
These really sucked when I first got them! Read and followed all of the set-up procedures and cautions and they still squeaked, pulsed, and ground all day long - good power though! Got a new set of rotors at Sea Otter, still the wavy ones but with more contact area. These made no difference at all. Took the pads out and the leading edges ( the rear edge of the pad) were chipped away. I beveled all the edges of the pads and put on a set of the Deore M555 rotors. Now they work almost as good as my Marta's and I have not had any fading issues. I think the brakes are good if you get the right rotor and pad combination.

Just my 2 cents! :)

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
I love my Hope Mono M4's with Goodridge brake lines and dangerboy levers. The modulation is amazing with these. They take a lilttle time to get set up, but once you do they are golden. Bleeding is easy, and replacing the caliper inserts with colors always raises the bling factor.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Formula K24's are very sweet!!

I thought about Juicy's, but when I read about Tcheezy loving the power and modulation, but not being able to stand the squeak I decided on the Formula's. I using a K24
F180 mm/R160 mm setup.

I know that Formula manufactured the Juicy Seven's (pre-squeak) until the manufacturing was moved to Asia. I prefer Italian shoes and brakes.

The pad contact adjustment lever on the K24 and the Oro Puro brakes works really easily while your riding with 160 degrees of movement and it is in a protected place under the lever. Once you get it set you don't have to mess with it until you change the pads. The stock pads and rotors work beautifully. Who wants to spend a lot of money on brakes and than have to go out and buy different pads and rotors!!

Frankly, if Avid's are so good, how come some of them are so bad (at least according to all the hundreds of 'squeaky' reviews). My friends who are shop guys tell me that the red dials get knocked off. I thought the red dial on the Seven's was vulnerable and weird because you need to rotate it so many times to affect the change.

My preference is for a brake that I can install ride and not have to mess with the darn things all the time.

Just a thought.

Kane

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...SK, do you find the Saints to have a superhuman amount of power? I have run shimano XT's & Hope Minis [mono] for years & the Saint I am using up front on the RFX just seems way to powerful even with the 160 rotor I have resorted to. The brake also seems to engage with the lever too far from the bar as well. I am using the XT levers from about 4-5 years ago....dunno if there is a major difference from the current levers or not. I like the dependability of the Shimano Saints....just wish there was more modulation & less violent OTB inducing power...personally.
I haven't found the Saints to be significantly more powerful than the Juicys. I'm running Saint levers, Goodridge lines, and 203mm rotors. The engagment point feels good to me.

Which pads are you using? I first tried the organics, which were nice, but faded on longer DH runs. I'm now running one metallic and one organic, and it's much better.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I haven't found the Saints to be significantly more powerful than the Juicys. I'm running Saint levers, Goodridge lines, and 203mm rotors. The engagment point feels good to me.

Which pads are you using? I first tried the organics, which were nice, but faded on longer DH runs. I'm now running one metallic and one organic, and it's much better.
...well, maybe it's the levers then...dunno. I started with the metallic/ organic combo (203mm rotor), but that was waaaay too much power. Switched to the all organics...better, but still way too much power. Finally I swapped out the rotor for a 160mm XT I had & that was better still, but I prefer less grabby feeling brakes. The Hopes have definitely spoiled me on modulation. With the XT lever throw all the way in, it is still further from the bar than the hopes almost all the way out.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

It was what I was worried about. People seem to love em or hate em, and it seems to depend a lot on luck of the draw. The question is do I feel lucky......:confused:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.