Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like running low pressure, and want to reduce/eliminate pinch-flats. I'm looking for the simplest tubeless setup, and am considering the following:
  • UST-compatible rims/wheels with UST tires
  • DT Swiss rims/wheels with tubeless kit and UST tires
Ideally I want a plug-and-play setup, not a conversion (i.e., no dorking with weather stripping, various tapes/strips, etc).

Are the two systems I've listed pretty much equivalent, or is there a clear winner? I'm 215#, ride full-sus (XC in semi-rocky areas), and would be running 2.1"-2.3" tires.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well the DT Swiss system uses a standard rim with tape and a strip but I think it works fine. The easiest system to me is UST rim and tires. I've used both and think they are equally good. For a good UST rim check out Mavic 819s.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went with the UST rims/UST tires for exactly the same reasons. I don't have to muck around with liquid goo, rim strips, and worrying about whether my rim/tire combo will work OK tubelss. I just mounted the tires on the rim, aired them up, and off I went.

They do need air added after a few days to a week, but to me that's less of a hassle than adding stans or slime to my tires.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
UST Rims and tires.

Mavic 819 or 823 laced to your fav hub and you are rolling with your UST tire of choice. You are talking $$$$$$$.

I run Spec tubeless ready (2Bliss). I like it, but you do have to use Stans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.