Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most Erect ( straight spine) 29 XC / AM race bike after cervical and Lumbar surgery??

Had L4-S1 work done (removal of rear 1/3rd of disc and tunnels made bigger for nerves) and an artificial disc place between C5-C6…

Want to still rip it up (Sea Otter etc, former 4:22 mile runner)

what is th most erect posture race bike out there in a 29er format
1) Specialized Enduro 29er?
2) Santa Cruz Tall Boy?
3) Ibis Ripley?
4) Scott Spark 29er?
5) Specialized Stumpjumper 29er?
6) Rocky Mountain???
7) BMC

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'd think you'd want to look at geometry:
1) steep seat tube angle so your butt is not far behind the bottom bracket
2) relatively short top tube/reach
3) seat tube long enough where you don't have a lot of seatpost showing where your saddle will be significantly higher than your handlebars/grips

You can always change stem lengths, add more headset spacers below stem, get a bar with more rise, adjust saddle fore and aft on rails, etc. but get the right frame to start with.

I'd start there, then get out and demo. Make sure you can demo on some climbs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
As much as I love my Jones, no way I would recommend a rigid bike to a guy that just had neck/back surgery.

I would think something like the Tall Boy LT would be good. One I test rode was pretty upright position, maybe even more so than my Jones. You could get the shop to set you up with a slightly shorter stem and a riser bar to get it up higher, if needed.

·
Your Best Friend
5,305 Posts
Go to your LBS and have a very serious conversation with a reputable bike fitter. Go over your needs and listen closely to their recommendations.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Most erect (straight spine) 29 XC / AM race bike after neck & low back surgery?

Why not just go for a size smaller frame, and some extra spacers under handlebars. And reverse setback post.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Heresy experience. was having lower back issues - nothing that sounds nearly as severe as what have/had, however. I got a 2011 TB and they went away overnight. My previous bike was too small (I knew that) but I love my tall boy largely for how it fits. Everyone is different, etc, and I agree to go see a fitter, but TB worked for me

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Most Erect ( straight spine) 29 XC / AM race bike after cervical and Lumbar surgery??

Had L4-S1 work done (removal of rear 1/3rd of disc and tunnels made bigger for nerves) and an artificial disc place between C5-C6…

Want to still rip it up (Sea Otter etc, former 4:22 mile runner)

what is th most erect posture race bike out there in a 29er format
2) Santa Cruz Tall Boy?
3) Ibis Ripley?
4) Scott Spark 29er?
6) Rocky Mountain???
7) BMC
You're going to want to get a frame with a long headtube to help get the bars up so the fit is more "French Fit" with the bars level or slightly below saddle. That is certainly easier if running a 120mm fork. Niner bikes have tall headtubes, so something like a JET 9 - alloy or carbon, or JET 9 RDO can handle the 120mm fork and would get things "up" for the posture you are seeking. The Niner JET is a proven race bike and the latest models have plenty of squish to handle what you are after.

I'd get the largest frame you could handle to get the longest head tube and most stable ride for your condition, pop on a 120mm fork, run a stem/bar combo that sets you up on the pedestal like you want and have at at...

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
The terms "XC", "AM", and "race bike" all balled into one has some conflicts, especially when seeking a more upright riding position.

XC race bikes will have a more stretched out/lower riding position. That is one of the things that makes them more suitable for racing. Bike companies don't generally make their best racing frames with a more upright riding position in mind. The taller head tube mentioned by Bruce is something that some larger performance oriented frames will have, but if you're going to push the performance envelope riding a frame with a shorter than normal (for your size) top tube, there will be compromises when riding at race speeds when you have to get your butt up off of the saddle.

As soon as you get up off of the saddle, you're either going to up over the front which makes braking hard a less than fun experience, or you're going to have your weight so far back that you'll be using a lot of arm strength and energy to hang onto the bike as your foot position will be more like a fulcrum than a position of support.

If you're just cruising along and can stay on the saddle at the speeds you're going, then it's less of an issue. But if you're racing or riding in a 'spirited' manner, it gets dicey in a hurry.

Now, when you throw in the "AM" component of the proposed equation, that is where I am really thrown for a loop. The qualities that separate an AM bike from an XC race bike are what make one less than optimal for use as the other.

The bikes you have listed are all over the map as far as design intent:

2) Santa Cruz Tall Boy?
3) Ibis Ripley?
4) Scott Spark 29er?
6) Rocky Mountain???
7) BMC

It sux to say it, but any bike that makes concessions to feature a more upright riding position that accommodates your situation, will make concessions to it's ability to truly "rip it up". Pretty much every aspect of bike fit has to make concessions to other aspects to get the best combination of compromises that all work together. In other words, they are all interconnected, and when you mess with (change) one thing, it messes with (impacts) at least one other thing. That said, I would probably look for steeper seat tube angles, and taller head tubes, and then saddle position, stem length, handlebar shape and size, and likely some other things can be somewhat adjusted (and will come with tradeoffs in performance). And you're likely to have to do a LOT of test riding to find your best combination of compromises to suit your situation.

Good luck and I hope you can find something that suits your purpose(s).

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
jeffj, what categories would you put the seven bikes in? Thanks.

All Mountain, and even high speed, but less technical DH

2) Santa Cruz Tall Boy?

XC/light weight Trail

3) Ibis Ripley?

Trail bike (XC on steroids, or HD trail depending on build)

4) Scott Spark 29er?

XC/light weight Trail

HD-ish Trail/light AM

6) Rocky Mountain???

no model specified

7) BMC

no model specified

The Enduro and the Scott Spark are quite different in design intent. Many could lean a little one way or another depending on how they are built, and these are just my generalizations and MHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts