Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I’d give some insights into a topic I’m becoming somewhat knowledgeable on.

I replaced the WTB volt on my Heckler MX with two Selles: The Selle Royal Respire and the Selle Royal Float. Both Selles are considerably more comfortable and make a few hours in the saddle quite enjoyable.

I have a Tioga Undercover Stratum saddle on order and should get it soon. I’m hoping more cradling and less padding will be equally if not more comfortable. The carbon fiber buckets in my car have minimal padding and don’t recline yet I find them incredibly comfortable because they cradle me perfectly

Anyone else want to share their saddle Odyssey. It would be good to have some insights that folks find comfortable.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,423 Posts
every body is different, so everybody is going to have a different answer.

YOU have to figure out what is comfortable for YOUR BODY. part of it is the size/width of the saddle, part is the shape of the saddle, and part of it is going to be the construction of that saddle (the kind of padding it has, how the padding is applied, etc). There are plenty of these threads out there and there's really nothing beyond that that you can really impart to others.

I am a fan of the WTB Volt saddle. But guess what? It hasn't been comfortable for me on all bikes. Imagine that.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
I loved my WTB SST saddles.
Hated every WTB saddle I’ve ridden since that one, including the Volt. I put that miserable Volt saddle on a bike I recently sold just to get it out of my parts bin where it took up too much room. I never wanted to see it again.
I find maximum comfort while riding my Fabric Scoop — have this saddle on 4 bikes. That is to say, ALL 4 of my bikes.
But as @Harold accurately pointed out above, saddle preference is an individual thing. One person’s comfortable saddle is another person’s ass hatchet.
=sParty

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,711 Posts
After a while, you can sort of tell if a saddle will be comfortable by shape. Even then, I've had one that surprised me with a lovely saddle sore.

Find someone who has a stash, and try them. Or, check with your LBS to see if they have a stash of trials.

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
I no longer like padded seats, they seem to make my old butt numb, so I moved back to a flexible "shell", tried Selle Anatomica and it sagged too much, now riding a Cambium on both my bikes and it's a great seat.

Harold, you seem kinda grumpy today, not enough coffee, not enough riding, not enough ??

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seems a good place to start is with a saddle that works for near-as-dammit everyone to some degree, like a WTB Speed, and work outward from there. That's about as inoffensive and middle-of-the-road as you can get, and WTBs in their basic forms are pretty cheap to try.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,423 Posts
Harold, you seem kinda grumpy today, not enough coffee, not enough riding, not enough ??
No. This kind of thread comes up often enough and people don't seem to get it. The answer always is that you have to figure out for yourself. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else likes.

Seems a good place to start is with a saddle that works for near-as-dammit everyone to some degree, like a WTB Speed, and work outward from there. That's about as inoffensive and middle-of-the-road as you can get, and WTBs in their basic forms are pretty cheap to try.
And going to the point I just made, I've never liked those saddles. Ever. But I wouldn't know that if I hadn't tried them at some point. The only way you're going to truly know if something works for you or not is to try it. So honestly it doesn't matter what you try. Just that you try it. If it doesn't work, take a few minutes to figure out what about it doesn't work for you. Next, try something that's different in that particular way. Rinse and repeat until you find something that works. At this point, you've identified some aspects of saddles that are important for you and will help you choose a saddle the next time you need to.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,980 Posts
now riding a Cambium on both my bikes and it's a great seat.
I prodealed a Cambium a few years back while working at REI and found the shape very good. In fact I loved that saddle until I realized that I was suddenly suffering saddle sores rather frequently. Since none of my other seating variables had changed, I attributed the cause to be the Brooks Cambium. Mentioned my situation to one of my REI co-workers (one of the bike shop guys) who said he'd come to the same conclusion. Too bad. Shape-wise, I loved that saddle.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I loved my WTB SST saddles.
Hated every WTB saddle I’ve ridden since that one, including the Volt. I put that miserable Volt saddle on a bike I recently sold just to get it out of my parts bin where it took up too much room. I never wanted to see it again.
I find maximum comfort while riding my Fabric Scoop — have this saddle on 4 bikes. That is to say, ALL 4 of my bikes.
But as @Harold accurately pointed out above, saddle preference is an individual thing. One person’s comfortable saddle is another person’s ass hatchet.
=sParty
I too have a Fabric Scoop on all of my bikes and I never worry anymore where the road (or singletrack) will take me or for how long.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,304 Posts
I prodealed a Cambium a few years back while working at REI and found the shape very good. In fact I loved that saddle until I realized that I was suddenly suffering saddle sores rather frequently. Since none of my other seating variables had changed, I attributed the cause to be the Brooks Cambium. Mentioned my situation to one of my REI co-workers (one of the bike shop guys) who said he'd come to the same conclusion. Too bad. Shape-wise, I loved that saddle.
=sParty
You must have gotten Picard's return item. Those weren't saddle sores.

Side note: I want to try a Scoop, but already like the WTB Silverado so I can't find a reason to buy one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before you buy an another saddle, try to lower your seat by 0.5cm. I find most of the people who are having saddle issues have it way too high.

·
Premium Member
9,298 Posts
No. This kind of thread comes up often enough and people don't seem to get it. The answer always is that you have to figure out for yourself. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else likes.

I realize that, but it's only old to you, for the person asking the question it's new.

If you're gonna be the guy that posts the most, you kinda need to be the guy who is most understanding ;)

If it's getting old ...

·
furker
424 Posts
The other issue is that even the best brand or model of saddle in the world isn't going to work right if it is the wrong width for your backside.

Some bike shops can measure the width between your "sit bones" in your backside and tell you what width to start with when you try out a saddle. But even that is just a starting point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found the Serfas saddles to be the most comfortable. I've been using them for 20yrs and every friend that's sat on mine goes out and buys one (y) They're not for the weight weenies, though the Serfas RX-RR model I've been using for the last few months is only 343g. It's not just the materials, it's the design with the two halves of the seat that can flex and rotate on the rails so there are no hot spots. The wife and I both tried some Ergon SMC Sport Gel seats after reading/watching so many rave reviews. I couldn't sit on it for more than 60 seconds :eek: and she didn't like hers either.

·
Cycologist
8,691 Posts
I bought a bike with a Volt and didn't like it much. It died when I bent the rails. That bike now has a saddle I bought used over a decade ago (actually the guy gave it to me free when I was buying something else). I have no idea what it is but it is branded as Cannondale. My two Konas have whatever the WTB saddle is Units come with, possibly Volts? They're fine. The Cannondale is a lot different design than the WTBs but I find them all comfortable.

Reactions: underblu

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
Just FYI, REI Outlet has some Fabric saddles on clearance.
Love my Fabric Scoop Radius Elite it’s very comfortable. But, everybody’s ass is different as stated. Never tried this brand having SDG and WTB saddles in the past. Never found any of those to be super comfortable. This Fabric Scoop brand came on my recent high end Intense purchase. Love this saddle and it appears many others do as well from the reviews.

Reactions: underblu
1 - 20 of 39 Posts