41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
unfortunately if they are determined they will get it. what irritates me is the fact people see it happen and do nothing. I tested this. I was at a busy shopping center after work and had my bike. I went in and came out a different entrance. I ran up to my truck fought with the bike, took it off the rack and rode off. people were watching but no one did anything.

What I find funny is a thief could spend time trying to get my bike off the rack but it would be faster to steal the whole truck. it starts without a key.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
unfortunately if they are determined they will get it. what irritates me is the fact people see it happen and do nothing. I tested this. I was at a busy shopping center after work and had my bike. I went in and came out a different entrance. I ran up to my truck fought with the bike, took it off the rack and rode off. people were watching but no one did anything.

What I find funny is a thief could spend time trying to get my bike off the rack but it would be faster to steal the whole truck. it starts without a key.
If you're of a certain demographic then bystanders might even help the thief steal your bike.

https://youtu.be/8ABRlWybBqM

So if you're going to steal a bike, dress like a young, pretty, white girl.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I found the most secure, foolproof, bombproof, thief proof way to to prevent my bike from being stolen. Testing it out right now. Wait, hang on, never mind, somebody just stole it J/K.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Amazing, I’d hate to be in Reggies shoes. Lol
no kidding.

I have been accused at a trail head parking lot that I had stolen my bike. I was in tempe going for a ride. I was still in my work clothes, high viz orange covered in mud and dirt and had my backpack with my riding gear heading to the bathroom to change. Two guys on mtn bikes approached me saying my bike looks like their friend's bike and his was stolen. They then accused me of stealing the bike because there was no way I could afford a bike like that. Took my bike in the bathroom with me, changed and left. They were still outside. I told them to F off and went for a ride.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
no kidding.

I have been accused at a trail head parking lot that I had stolen my bike. I was in tempe going for a ride. I was still in my work clothes, high viz orange covered in mud and dirt and had my backpack with my riding gear heading to the bathroom to change. Two guys on mtn bikes approached me saying my bike looks like their friend's bike and his was stolen. They then accused me of stealing the bike because there was no way I could afford a bike like that. Took my bike in the bathroom with me, changed and left. They were still outside. I told them to F off and went for a ride.
I remember you telling that before. People are flucking nuts.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
no kidding.

That's messed up.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,396 Posts
no kidding.

To be fair, if I knew what a buddies bike looked like and it was recently stolen and I saw a dude with the same exact bike I might question them.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
To be fair, if I knew what a buddies bike looked like and it was recently stolen and I saw a dude with the same exact bike I might question them.
And accuse a dude of theft because based on his appearance determine there's no way he could afford a bike like that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah I've just had a bike stolen myself. Went hiking on my local trail and every bike I saw that looked similar to mine, I definitely took a second look. Couldn't help it.

I've run the scenario through my head of course, if I really did see my bike on the trail. It has specific customizations on it, so I'm confident I could identify it, but it could be a coincidence as well.

A likely scenario actually would be someone buying it used, and not knowing it was stolen. At that point, I'd probably involve the law. It's generally not wise to beat people up and take their bikes out on the trail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Tonneau cover on my truck so I can take my bike to work and keep it covered. I just take off the front tire and lay it down in the bed on a moving blanket. It’s a pretty snug fit so it doesn’t move around at all. Nobody at work even knows it’s in my truck.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have a Tonneau cover on my truck so I can take my bike to work and keep it covered. I just take off the front tire and lay it down in the bed on a moving blanket. It’s a pretty snug fit so it doesn’t move around at all. Nobody at work even knows it’s in my truck.
friend of mine had his bike stolen from the trunk of his infiniti. He still puts his new bike in the trunk but he ran some eye bolts through the bottom of the car and in the trunk so he can lock his bike in the trunk with a heavy duty lock, not that it will stop a determined thief.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts