Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after buying a Enduro Comp 29, I decided I didnt really like the way the bike rode and decided to sell it.. But I also put some time on a friends custom built SS 29er and loved it.

I am opting for a 27.5 trail bike and I want to build a Singlespeed Hardtail 29er. I want this bike to be not so much racer boy bike, but something slacker, with shorter chainstays, will run a longer travel fork and will take a beating. I will be running carbon wheels, dropper post, 800mm Carbon bar, and singlespeed as mentioned so there has to be some way to tension, preferably via adjuable dropouts and not eccentric BB, but not totally against BB.. Basicically looking for a rowdy bike to run single speed..

Before anyone says anything... I work in a shop and the other shop in town is a transition and Kona dealer.. So no TransAMs, or Honzos.. I am willing to try any other companies that aren't major competitor brands to what we sell (GT, Specialized, Yeti) .. ..:thumbsup:

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Ros9

Sounds like the OP read the marketing page for the Niner ROS9. "Rowdy" and all. ROS frame is solid, well thought out and fun.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to suggest that this list is "complete" by any means, but I put a spreadsheet together with some SS frames and specs when looking for my next frame. My only requirement was that the frame be steel and have the aforementioned chain tensioning ability. I don't think it will take you any further than the Canfield though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap1cf1i9qubPdHdvemhYUU85UXRqX05acmc0Mm5GeHc&usp=sharing
Thanks for that! That is an awesome spreadsheet you have there!

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
I urge you to research, but I doubt you'll stray far from the N9 based on your requirements.

·
oh crap...
551 Posts
Not as aggressive as the Canfield but a REEB might interest you. Many guys around here are running a 140 up front. Belt drive, dropper...

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So upon searching, I seriously think that the Canfield N9 best checks all my boxes of what I would like.

-Short CS (But still Adjustable)
-Relatively slack HT
-SS ready
-142 Rear end to use my existing wheels
-Low standover an added bonus
-Room for a big 2.4 tire

The only downfall is the 2014s come with a 27.2 seatpost.. I would have much rather preferred a 30.9 since I have 3 droppers in that size currently.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The only downfall is the 2014s come with a 27.2 seatpost.. I would have much rather preferred a 30.9 since I have 3 droppers in that size currently.
2013 N9 + 2014 12x142 dropouts = problem solved

I already preordered my 2014 dropouts.

I'm sure they've still got some 2013's in the warehouse, and they will probably give you a deal on the 2013 + 14 dropout package. Give them a call.

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
On the cheaper side, Charge have some SS Hardtail option, but you'll be building that up yourself if you're at all picky on parts.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the cheaper side, Charge have some SS Hardtail option, but you'll be building that up yourself if you're at all picky on parts.
Already building up on my own with Carbon wheels, Pike, dropper post and wide cockpit. Looking for frame only.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2013 N9 + 2014 12x142 dropouts = problem solved

I already preordered my 2014 dropouts.

I'm sure they've still got some 2013's in the warehouse, and they will probably give you a deal on the 2013 + 14 dropout package. Give them a call.
I will give them a call and see. That would be perfect. You know What changes between model years? I'll ask over in the Canfield forum if you arnt sure off the top of your head.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I will give them a call and see. That would be perfect. You know What changes between model years? I'll ask over in the Canfield forum if you arnt sure off the top of your head.
Between 2013 and 2014, the 12x142 dropouts, the seat post size, and the rear brake routing moved from the chain stay to the seat stay. Other than that I think its pretty much the same. I'm not familiar with the Gen1 specs, but I think they had more XC like geometry. But again give them a call and they can fill you in on all the details. Thats one great thing about Canfield, every time I've called during business hours, A real person answers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Carver ti420! Love mine.
  • Titanium
  • Short chainstays
  • Slack Headtube
  • 120-140 mm fork
  • Any rear dropout configuration you can think of
  • 31.6 seatpost

Sold my 2nd gen nimble 9 and got this. No regrets.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts