Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a switchblade with the older low clearance chainstays. Whats the biggest, most aggresive rear tire that will fit in my tight chainstays? I ride muddy, rocky, technical Pisgah trails. Last requirement must be a UST tire.

TIA

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Maida7 said:
I have a switchblade with the older low clearance chainstays. Whats the biggest, most aggresive rear tire that will fit in my tight chainstays? I ride muddy, rocky, technical Pisgah trails. Last requirement must be a UST tire.

TIA
Here's my list of "tight clearance" tyres for Narrow style SB's:

- Kenda 2.1" (Blue Groove fits tight, but still relatively nice mud clearance)
- Any "old skool" Maxxis 2.35" like High Rollers, Swampthings, etc. New versions with high volume casings like the Advantage will not fit in 2.35", but will do on 2.1"
- I'm positive (but never tried, actually) that a Nokian NBX 2.3" can fit... but you'll need a VERY stiff rear wheel or it will rub.
- Tioga 2.1's, especially the Factory DH's are an extremely tight fit too.
- A Motoraptor 2.4" will clear... barely and with mud, you can just forget the idea.

A good candidate are the "old" (pre-07) Spesh tyres as they're narrow in tread, but tall and cushy. You can find them as UST's too. The Roll-X is nice, but I have yet to try it out on mud. The Adrenaline is very good as long as the mud is loose. If the mud is sticky, you're SOL.

I'll let you know how tight is the clearance with Nobby Nics in 2.25" ;) ... as soon as the dang customs release my bling. :incazzato:

Rzozaya1969 has tried the Panaracer Cinder 2.25" and it did fit... however it rubbed his chainstays on his '05 ML (same narrow stays). He's a Clyde and his wheelset was not the stiffest around back then... I think I could have got away with it weighing a miserable 145lbs and running a 36 spokes wheel.

The Geax Sturdy in 2.1" could fit too... like the Adrenaline, is taller than wider and it has heavy duty carcass and triple compound tread. I guess FM has ran this tire in wet BC and liked it (but in 2.3, I guess)

In you shoes, I'd give the Kenda BG 2.1",Nevegal 2.1", Geax Sturdy 2.1" and Spesh Adrenaline 2.0" a try. Bigger than that and you'll be asking for trouble.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Sturdy 2.1" based on the comments of this board (basically, no comaplains at all) but the vendor - domestic here in Mexico - had not an online mthod for payment and lost an easy sale.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I second the suggestion of the Sturdy. (I seem to have a fetish for this tire) As stated it is a tall tire. But it should fit no problem and provide the traction that you need.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Warp said:
I'll let you know how tight is the clearance with Nobby Nics in 2.25" ;) ... as soon as the dang customs release my bling. :incazzato:
The NNs will very likely fit and they are awesome tires....

Here's a previous post I made on a thread on the NN casing size (might give you an idea of its size on your rims/pressure)

crisillo said:
I just got the 2.25 NNs and after an hour on a Mavic XM 317 @ 40 psi, the casing measures 50.17mm and the tread 51.07mm. I am pretty sure it will strech in the next couple of days, so I might update this size. By the way, my 2.25 NN weighs 569 grams.

Cheers,
Cris

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
crisillo said:
The NNs will very likely fit and they are awesome tires....

Here's a previous post I made on a thread on the NN casing size (might give you an idea of its size on your rims/pressure)
Thanks, Cris!!!

Actually, that thread of yours is what sold me on the 2.25's... :thumbsup:

The 2.1's are said to be XC-Racer boy stuff and prime Weight Weenie material for everyday use. A good tyre at just mid 400's... If you'd want to go lighter, you'd have to look at seriously underpeforming tyres.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Warp said:
Thanks, Cris!!!

Actually, that thread of yours is what sold me on the 2.25's... :thumbsup:

The 2.1's are said to be XC-Racer boy stuff and prime Weight Weenie material for everyday use. A good tyre at just mid 400's... If you'd want to go lighter, you'd have to look at seriously underpeforming tyres.
Yeah the 2.1s are tiny.... the traction/rolling resistance ratio on these guys is amazing... they spin easily, but seem to find traction on anything.... I haven't tried them on sticky mud though... on "mushy-non-sticky" mud they don't pack up much :thumbsup:

EDIT: I will probably try the 2.4s next... I also have some 2.4 Racing Ralphs and they have great volume, so I expect the 2.4NNs to be similar :D

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Nobbi Nics are awesome.........unfortunately due to budget constraints I had to cancel my order for them...........Oh well, guess I'll have to wait till spring........Racer-X and Eleven are equipped, was gonna rubber up the motolite with them as well, but new pedals took precedent.....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
crisillo said:
Yeah the 2.1s are tiny.... the traction/rolling resistance ratio on these guys is amazing... they spin easily, but seem to find traction on anything.... I haven't tried them on sticky mud though... on "mushy-non-sticky" mud they don't pack up much :thumbsup:

EDIT: I will probably try the 2.4s next... I also have some 2.4 Racing Ralphs and they have great volume, so I expect the 2.4NNs to be similar :D
They share casings... so, they'll prolly be the same.

I'm getting 2.25 for the rear and 2.4 for the front... Chad had them and I just couldn't say "no".

I was about to get the Sturdy. The Mexican dealer I found them, had them - shipping included - at close to 45 bucks... but they required to make some bank deposit, and they did not have an on-line payment method. Lame-O. They lost that sale... I would have paid on-line with no second thought.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Warp said:
- A Motoraptor 2.4" will clear... barely and with mud, you can just forget the idea.
A Motoraptor 2.24 is a better choice for a rear tire on the narrow chainstay, and still very big--it's the same size as a 2.4 Mutano Race. I used it for years, and preferred it over the 2.4 version, because the 2.4 WILL rub when cornering hard even with burly wheels.

Nevegal 2.1 DTC fits as well, and is an awesome tire, huge for a claimed 2.1. Pair it with a 2.1 Blue Groove Stick-e front. They will wear at about the same rate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.