Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a job offer in Rancho Santa Margarita. i don't think i'll move anytime soon but maybe next year or something. so just asking where the most affordable place to live at about 10-15 miles from RSM?

i have another offer in torrance that actually pays a little more but theres btter mt biking in OC.

argh tough decisions!

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
jr711 said:
i have a job offer in Rancho Santa Margarita. i don't think i'll move anytime soon but maybe next year or something. so just asking where the most affordable place to live at about 10-15 miles from RSM?

i have another offer in torrance that actually pays a little more but theres btter mt biking in OC.

argh tough decisions!

thanks
parts of Lake Forest, Tustin and Orange are a little less than other So OC places. The later two using the toll road to get to RSM in 10-15 miles. If you can afford a home and handle a little less cash So OC can be nice for riding and living.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i finally finished with school in august. so no money to buy a home yet. my plan is to live at home for a year or two to save some money for a down payment for something small. and hopefully the theory a real-estate friend has holds up about some kind of housing bubble in cali(i can dream). any little bit would help. but i may just end up renting like most. we'll see
 

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
Joined
·
429 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting for a RE bubble to pop!

jr711 said:
i finally finished with school in august. so no money to buy a home yet. my plan is to live at home for a year or two to save some money for a down payment for something small. and hopefully the theory a real-estate friend has holds up about some kind of housing bubble in cali(i can dream). any little bit would help. but i may just end up renting like most. we'll see
Hate to break it to you but there is no bubble in SoCal real estate in the next 5 years. Too much demand and too many people with money, low interest rates and plenty of jobs. The OC economiy will keep perking along for years to come. The prices may flatten and retreat slightly as real estate is cyclical but in most cases you can't save fast enough to overcome the appreciation. Last year we had 24.7% appreciation... most of the economists said that we would suffer a 7% decline in prices. We at about about 18% this year... the economists had predicted a 10-12% decline in prices. The National Board of Realtors is predicing about a 15% appreciation for 2006... most economists are saying that although they've been wrong for the last 5 years now and have no credibility, they are predicting a 12% decrease in home prices... who are you going to believe???
I would suggest you get together with a couple of friends and buy something... anything, then hold on for a year or two and start leveraging up. That's how people are now living in million dollar houses.

My 2 cents....

Old Man Riding... also a Realtor in South OC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
Decent home

In OC would be over 600k with a down of say 20% you're looking at 120K , if you can save that in a year or two, you can afford OC. We thought about moving back there,but after experiencing the traffic and all the other congestion we just didn't figure the quality of life there was worth it. I'll stay out in the less congested areas of North Fonatana and Rancho Cucamonga..Reminds me of what OC used to be,before it was over built. Good luck, you're not alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Anywhere

If you're going to rent, I would live close to work and riding. Rents are not that different in OC. Tons of condos and apartments in So OC.

My wife if is a realtor and I have to echo what mtber3737 says about real estate prices. If your credit is good there's all kinds of financing options to get you into a house when you're ready.

Torrance ? My wife lived in that area before we were married. Trust me - You would like South OC much better.

See ya on the freeway.

C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Just couldn't resist responding to this

mtber3737 said:
Hate to break it to you but there is no bubble in SoCal real estate in the next 5 years. Too much demand and too many people with money, low interest rates and plenty of jobs. The OC economiy will keep perking along for years to come. The prices may flatten and retreat slightly as real estate is cyclical but in most cases you can't save fast enough to overcome the appreciation. Last year we had 24.7% appreciation... most of the economists said that we would suffer a 7% decline in prices. We at about about 18% this year... the economists had predicted a 10-12% decline in prices. The National Board of Realtors is predicing about a 15% appreciation for 2006... most economists are saying that although they've been wrong for the last 5 years now and have no credibility, they are predicting a 12% decrease in home prices... who are you going to believe???
I would suggest you get together with a couple of friends and buy something... anything, then hold on for a year or two and start leveraging up. That's how people are now living in million dollar houses.

My 2 cents....

Old Man Riding... also a Realtor in South OC
I live in Boise, with my Girlfriend; we will probably get married.
She is completing a degree. We both REALLY WANT to live in OC
The reality is we may/most likely will have to rent.
We both have excellent credit, very high scores at least.......

We are hoping to find a condo.

Also, in case any Boise lurkers on here who want to knock me down -
not knocking this place - it is very cool, but I grew up in OC and have many other friends there, family....
 

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
I moved to RSM from the midwest. I have never been an ocean guy, so living in the foothills is great. I can leave my house and hit O'neal park in 2 minutes. My wife and I have really enjoyed RSM, traffic is not as bad as other areas. If your looking for any night life, this is not the place to live. If your looking for a great place to live and hit the trails without having to put your bike on your car, this is the right place. Your right at the foothills to the Santa Anas, Holy Jim, Trabuco, Santiago, etc..
 

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
Joined
·
429 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I live in Boise, with my Girlfriend; we will probably get married.
She is completing a degree. We both REALLY WANT to live in OC
The reality is we may/most likely will have to rent.
We both have excellent credit, very high scores at least.......

We are hoping to find a condo.

Also, in case any Boise lurkers on here who want to knock me down -
not knocking this place - it is very cool, but I grew up in OC and have many other friends there, family....
There are still places out here (south OC) where your money goes a little farther... Rancho Santa Margarita is one and sometimes you can still find a smaller place, buy it, live in it for a while, build your own appreciation then move up as you acquire equity. Hey, there's always a way....

I lived in Boise as a kid... I remember a lot of snow!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
I also believe O.C. real estate is not a bubble

jr711 said:
yeah i figured :(

thanks :D
To bad, we'd like move up from our condo to a house but the tax difference alone would be a huge difference.
Oh well, South O.C. is a great place to live work and ride, I guess that's the reason a nice 2 bedroom condo goes for half a million, though I have seen older, small 2 bedroom condos with carports for the mid 300 thousand range.

At any rate, if I were not already vested in the glorified apartment (condo) game I'd still live/rent and work here and try sock away as much cash and 401k as possible.
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
There isn't

I had to leave OC and move to Colorado in 2003 to be able to afford a home and let my wife stay home with the kids. Plus, it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years :p

The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
 

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
Joined
·
429 Posts
2farfwd said:
it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years :p

The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
Yeah, the Path is a good shop... but we other good things here as well... there are really good people here, the weather, there are great places to ride, a beautiful ocean, mountains and desert to enjoy... and yeah, there's traffic, polution, population, etc, etc; but, everyplace has it's problems... just glad you found a place you're happy at.

Regards from SoCal....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Phishin Paul said:
I moved to RSM from the midwest. I have never been an ocean guy, so living in the foothills is great. I can leave my house and hit O'neal park in 2 minutes. My wife and I have really enjoyed RSM, traffic is not as bad as other areas. If your looking for any night life, this is not the place to live. If your looking for a great place to live and hit the trails without having to put your bike on your car, this is the right place. Your right at the foothills to the Santa Anas, Holy Jim, Trabuco, Santiago, etc..
yeah thats why i'm choosing RSM over Torrance. both jobs are very similar and both have a great atmosphere. a big plus for RSM is i like the area. i currently do a lot of mt biking in OC in the weekends. i mean mt biking isn't the priority but since both jobs are very similar, or at the moment seem similar. i might as well work where i may consider moving to one day.

i'm single with no kids so i don't have those to worry about at the moment. i recently graduated, at this point i just want to gain valuable experience and learn as much as i can, and have some fun on the way.
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
You are right

mtber3737 said:
Yeah, the Path is a good shop... but we other good things here as well... there are really good people here, the weather, there are great places to ride, a beautiful ocean, mountains and desert to enjoy... and yeah, there's traffic, polution, population, etc, etc; but, everyplace has it's problems... just glad you found a place you're happy at.

Regards from SoCal....
You are very right, there are many great things about the area, and the ocean and surfing are probably the things I miss most. I miss my friends and riding buddies too. Oh yeah, and the weather. Good points you make and I wish you much happiness as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Yep, great surfing in Orange County!

2farfwd said:
You are very right, there are many great things about the area, and the ocean and surfing are probably the things I miss most. I miss my friends and riding buddies too. Oh yeah, and the weather. Good points you make and I wish you much happiness as well.
Regards from Boise!
(pic is from Oceanside so almost OC..)
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Colorado, bet that doesn't suck

2farfwd said:
I had to leave OC and move to Colorado in 2003 to be able to afford a home and let my wife stay home with the kids. Plus, it's clusterf%^$ there anyway... too many people too much traffic. Yeah, that's right I said it and I was born and raised there for 32 years :p

The Path bike shop is there though, that's about the only good thing left in OC.
how much does a small house or nice 2 bedroom condo go for in your neck of the woods?
 

·
Not because I'm fast.....
Joined
·
748 Posts
Colorado

Bike Nazi said:
how much does a small house or nice 2 bedroom condo go for in your neck of the woods?
I've got a nice (built in 1994) 1700sqft house with a 650sqft unfinished basesment on a 7000sqft lot and I paid $228K. 15 minutes from Boulder, 20 minutes from Denver and there is killer riding everywhere.....can't beat it.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top