Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few weeks I have gotten chewed up every time I venture into the woods. I’ve also heard this is going to be a banner year for ticks as well. I’ve used permethrin on my mtb gear before to discourage ticks but I’ve never used any type of insect repellent on my skin because, other than the occasional bite, it hasn’t been an issue in the past.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
The last few weeks I have gotten chewed up every time I venture into the woods. I've also heard this is going to be a banner year for ticks as well. I've used permethrin on my mtb gear before to discourage ticks but I've never used any type of insect repellent on my skin because, other than the occasional bite, it hasn't been an issue in the past.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Very true. This is the week too as it warms up that they gain full strength.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
This morning, I found several Home Depot-type buckets around my house that had an inch or so of water in them.

Oops.

Last year, there was a huge puddle out in the farmland behind my house that was there for weeks. Teeming with frogs. I called SJ Vector, they came out & sprayed, voila, no frogs this year. :madman:

I won't make that mistake again. :skep:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
This morning, I found several Home Depot-type buckets around my house that had an inch or so of water in them.

Oops.

Last year, there was a huge puddle out in the farmland behind my house that was there for weeks. Teeming with frogs. I called SJ Vector, they came out & sprayed, voila, no frogs this year. :madman:

I won't make that mistake again. :skep:
Spray killed frogs, no effect on humans....hmmm.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ticks have been out for a month or so-----had a good sampling in Henry Coe. Peak season may have passed already.

But for mossies various people have differing allure to them---sounds like they like you----a couple of things help that are not chemical-----wear long sleeves in a very light color----dark colors are worse----and get rid of sweat if you can as that helps.
For me I do not use Deet as it cannot be good for you----if you get it on a plastic eye glass lens if will totally ruin them----good sign to keep if off my body-

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Totally. Rode on JNT to Skyline and stopped at the top. Just absolutely ambushed by mosquitoes. However, it is not just mosquitoes. All kinds of flying bugs. That same ride, I had more bugs flying in my mouth than I ever had. Lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Totally. Rode on JNT to Skyline and stopped at the top. Just absolutely ambushed by mosquitoes. However, it is not just mosquitoes. All kinds of flying bugs. That same ride, I had more bugs flying in my mouth than I ever had. Lol.
What time of day were you riding?
Do u think morning vs afternoon vs evening is best?
Thanks!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,860 Posts
lol, amateurs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!
From what I understand mosquitos don't like the heat so they are most active at dawn and at dusk. From personal observation, as the morning heats up, they will congregate in the shade. You can stand ten feet away from a swarm but they will stay in the shade and not bother you. Unless it's really cold, then they won't become active until the day warms up.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thanks!
From what I understand mosquitos don't like the heat so they are most active at dawn and at dusk. From personal observation, as the morning heats up, they will congregate in the shade. You can stand ten feet away from a swarm but they will stay in the shade and not bother you. Unless it's really cold, then they won't become active until the day warms up.
Yeah, I agree. The bugs levitate to the cooler more shaded areas in warm weather. Rides that have more exposure to the sun will have less bugs in the warmer weather. I was riding in the afternoon in mild 70s degree weather.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
I was at John Nicholas yesterday and I witnessed it first hand. I stopped to take a photo and bam, I was attacked.

Most riders at Nicholas turned around at the climb as the skeeters killed them. Sad to see really.

I did find the antidote to skeeters and horse flies... ebike. Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Yeah, I agree. The bugs levitate to the cooler more shaded areas in warm weather. Rides that have more exposure to the sun will have less bugs in the warmer weather. I was riding in the afternoon in mild 70s degree weather.
The horse flies like the heat. They will follow you up the steepest climbs like Charcoal road since they know you have no chance of getting away.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was at John Nicholas yesterday and I witnessed it first hand. I stopped to take a photo and bam, I was attacked.

Most riders at Nicholas turned around at the climb as the skeeters killed them. Sad to see really.

I did find the antidote to skeeters and horse flies... ebike. View attachment 1255349
Dat ebike will squash dem dead!

What time were u at JNT?

I'm was thinking of trying a 8:30am ride tmrw but maybe not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was on Skyline Monday around 3 and as soon as I stopped at Indian Rock I got bit atleast six times on my arm. Ride there again yesterday and maybe a couple on the trail but Indian Rock was basically deserted. They were pretty big too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was at Indian Rock yesterday about 4 (Wednesday). Wasn’t so bad. Could have been the cooler temps? It was only 75 up there.

On a side note the small nats/ flys that like to Fly in your eyes nose and ears were bad on the climb. I’ve invested in a actual bug net for long climbs. Worked amazingly well. I look stupid, but my face is bug free. Best $10 I’ve spend for riding

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
I was on Skyline Monday around 3 and as soon as I stopped at Indian Rock I got bit atleast six times on my arm. Ride there again yesterday and maybe a couple on the trail but Indian Rock was basically deserted. They were pretty big too.
Yeah, they are BIG! I got one bite. And I'm scratching it inadvertently like a dumb boss.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.