Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I don't think anyone can reliably predict mosquito activity this early in the season, especially with winter refusing to let go.

Ticks are probably waiting for you right now though. If you had a heavy tick population last fall, you will probably have a heavy tick population this spring.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think anyone can reliably predict mosquito activity this early in the season, especially with winter refusing to let go.

Ticks are probably waiting for you right now though. If you had a heavy tick population last fall, you will probably have a heavy tick population this spring.
Ya, temps for most of the next week are below freezing... last week of March, right. The cold winter could have an effect on the Emerald Ash Borer.

U RESEARCHER: Deep freeze could kill emerald ash borer - K

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a mosquito control company here in the twin cities. We are already seeing larva develop in small pools. These should die out next week with the freeze coming. They develop more slowly in cold water and take about 10 days of non freezing weather to hatch and start flying. The Spring Aedes mosquito will start hatching out of the wetlands in mid April so that's typically when we start receiving phone calls in a typical spring. People would do better to call ahead to treat small ponds and wetlands before the snow and ice melts. We have the ability to cut off the hatch before it gets started.

·
Registered
390 Posts
How bad are the bugs so far this year?
So far in south central Minnesota I'd say the mosquito population isn't too bad. I've only had a few bites in the 20 hours or so of trail work I've done this year. Nothing to take notice of and I haven't used any insect repellent yet. No known tick problems for me and any of my trail crew friends yet as far as I know.

We have however just had a recent spate of rains that have dumped over 3"...so mosquito populations may be on the rise soon.

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a test at a few local spots in Eau Claire, which found that between 30-40% of the tics had lymes. Fuuuuuuuuu tics.
Yea I hate ticks. A couple years ago my wife had one make it all the way up her pants to the belt line and embedded itself. She didn't even notice it was there until she was in the shower later that day. Sneaky little bastids!

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
I just moved back to Wisconsin after 19 years in Oregon, where the rides are bug-free (unless in June near a cascade lake.... skeeters are deadly).

Damn, now I've got to worry about ticks! I hate those blood sucking vermin!

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got back camping at Black River Falls state forest with some family. The three of us had one tick each; and the mosquitos were getting near ferocious.
Yea the mosquitoes were worse at Levis than up on the North Shore of Lake Superior. We had some pretty cool nights up there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mosquitoes were nothing last week at CAMBA. Then again, I put on 100% deet Repel. No excuse for being eaten alive these days with the stuff that's available.

Oh, and for the newbies to Wisconsin, you'll be begging for mosquitoes once the black/deer flies get active. Mosquitoes are nothing compared to biting flies when they start swarming you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at Pictured Rocks (south end of Superior in Michigan's UP) and the Mosquitos were bad enough for me to skip Wisconsin entirely, headed west for sun and desert. If the black flies are worse, then may god help you all! I'm in Duluth right now and debating whether or not to try to find some local rides or just keep on truckin' west.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I was at Pictured Rocks (south end of Superior in Michigan's UP) and the Mosquitos were bad enough for me to skip Wisconsin entirely, headed west for sun and desert. If the black flies are worse, then may god help you all! I'm in Duluth right now and debating whether or not to try to find some local rides or just keep on truckin' west.
Definitely check out the Duluth trails! Check the COGGS pages on Facebook and you will likely be able to find some locals happy to meet you for a ride.

I was up in the UP for the summit this weekend as well. Like you said, the mosquitoes were voracious! I'm covered in welts, but I was having so much fun on the trails there, I didn't even notice the bites until much later around the fire at night.

I was trying to get by with a much less toxic [and effective] alternative bug spray rather than any of the high DEET potions I had available. I can't say whether or not my results would have been different had I put the deet on; but I would guess a marked improvement over what I had. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did actually hit Piedmont trails around Duluth. They were really fun and I didn't get bitten by one mosquito. Not sure how to gauge that without staying in the area for a longer time - but seemed like fun spot. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area. I've made the trek to western ND now, and sounds like it's much less technical winding prarie trials - we shall see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.