Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morrison Monster™ May Challenge!

Alright kids, time to get off the couch, sweat out all the excess winter stout and get in shape for summer shenanigans

What: Ride your own version of the Morrison Monster™

When: Anytime between May 1 to May 31.

Where/How: Morrison and surrounding areas linking as many trails as you like, in whatever order you see fit... Mandatory trails are Mt Falcon (uphill) and Lair O' Bear (any direction)

How is the winner determined?: The longest ride with the most climbing will win Overall. The ride with the most total climbing will win the KOM award. Note that these could be the same ride, but it may not.

Riders need to submit a GPS track in order to participate (Strava, MMR, Ride w GPS etc...) or email me a gpx if you don't use any tracking site.

What do I win? Bragging rights and some beer (for over 21) provided by me :)

When is the party/awards? Sunday June 1st at Cannonball Creek Brewing in Golden.

Rules:
1) F rules
2) Don't be a D (i.e. ride only legal trails, yield as required, etc...)
3) Have fun and suffer lots!

gauntlet.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've read rule #1, but curious if there is a minimum "dirt mileage" requirement, say 60% of miles must be dirty?

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read rule #1, but curious if there is a minimum "dirt mileage" requirement, say 60% of miles must be dirty?
Hmmm, maximizing dirt miles is definitely encouraged and expected. No minimums though, just don't go up Lookout Mountain instead of Chimney ;)

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can maybe count road miles as 60% of dirt miles?
Nah, too much work to separate all the paved/non paved segments. Besides riding a mtb on the road sucks, I'm sure everyone will make their best effort to ride as much trail as possible and use roads as needed, this is MTBR not RBR, right? An obvious road ride will be frowned upon and subjected to ridicule by the forum ;)

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
I'm digging this!

Consider this the example as to what Ingluis was referring. And the Monster is just gonna keep getting bigger. 3 sisters and Bergen will soon be added if not by me 1st I know of others who want to do the same.

For the beer ladies and Gents!

My wife was wondering why there was a chunk of the kitchen table missing yesterday. I was hungry after this one!

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm digging this!

Though I know its been posted elsewhere consider this the 1st submission. And the Monster is just gonna keep getting bigger. 3 sisters and Bergen will soon be added if not by me 1st I know of others who want to do the same.

For the beer ladies and Gents!
Very nice entry, but challenge begins (and ends) in May ;) gives you time to plan out your route...

Also, thinking the winner (or winners as I may add some special categories) will be awarded Sunday June 1st at Cannonball Creek...

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Very nice entry, but challenge begins (and ends) in May ;) gives you time to plan out your route...

Also, thinking the winner (or winners as I may add some special categories) will be awarded Sunday June 1st at Cannonball Creek...
LOL, no worries then. We'll call that the example to which you were referring. I'm actually a little scared of the mileage we're about to see folks posting up. I do have an idea for a Tshirt. I'll talk with Got Dirt.

·
My cup runneth over
2,409 Posts
I wonder if we need to define the Morrison Monster and which (base) trails are required for the 'challenge' and can be extended from? I think Goat was the first to define it so perhaps he can do the honors. Or does everyone already know?

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
The Morrison Monster was originally for me at least when I lived in Lakewood...
Green Mtn> Dakota Ridge> Mt Falcon> LOTB> Little Park> Grapevine> Apex/ Enchanted Forest> Green Mtn> Home.

It has evolved since I moved to Morrison.

I don't really think there should be a rule besides hit as much trail as you can.

I mean by definition even my ride below could be considered a variation of the Monster.

I think more the point....is trying to get folks out to ride and do some mileage for the beers! Social Gathering in June sounds fantastic!

1,328 Posts
This is a great idea and I'm REALLY curious to see routes. I have absolutely no clue on how to link Evergreen stuff without major road miles (which I'm fine with btw) so that will help people like me who live North of the border in BoCo - where do I get my Jeffco parking pass? you guys have those right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
What do you guys use to plan your routes? Trying to use Strava but their dumb mapping program won't let me ride across highway 6 from the Chimney Gulch trail to the bike path across the street.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts