Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding last summer and really enjoy it. For the most part I ride in the morning for about 45-60 minutes on easy trails through the woods behind my house. I usually bring a bottle of water or Gatorade with me. This year, I'd like to make my rides a little longer and more challenging. My morning routine usually goes like this: get out of bed, check email, dress, hop on the bike and go and then eat a bowl of cereal when I get back. Should I eat something before I ride? If so, what? Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
2 hot dogs and a big slurpee

just kidding. Any standard common sense intake will work for you, but riding on empty for an hour won't do damage. Your body might respond better if you ate first though.

.... a regular cycling programme will make you re-evaluate your eating habits, as every excess kilogram you're carrying will make its presence felt when you're sweating up that hill. Increase your intake of breads, rice, pasta, fruits and vegetables, diet drinks and water and cut back on the burgers, fries, cream doughnuts, triple-scoop ice-creams, potato crisps and sugar-laden fizzy drinks. The "big three" basics of a dedicated bike rider's diet are fibre, low fat and fruit and vegetables. A great cyclist's breakfast which contains all three comprises bran flakes with a sliced banana and low-fat milk, followed by a slice of mixed-grain toast with apricot jam and a cup of tea without sugar.

After a hard ride, it's important to eat some protein in any form, even a Clif bar...it helps to prevent cramping. your ride doesn't demand that, but it might in future if you start to ride more. Gatorade helps a bit, but mostly it's just a sugar drink.

Good luck, Jim

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
While you might want to wait a while before riding if you eat a substantial breakfast, I do like a morning ride of 2.5-3 hours (and that will usually be a road ride of about 40 miles with 2000' of climbing) on a minimal breakfast, usually coffee and juice but that doesn't mean it works for you. If I do eat a substantial breakfast, say bacon/eggs/toast kinda meal, I wait 2 hours before riding but I'll be up for a much longer ride (this works great if there's a significant drive to the trail head particularly as well as a big day of climbing); if I eat a bowl of cereal with fruit and juice, I'm good to go in an hour or so and can go for a longer ride if I supplement with a gu or energy bar during the ride. If I just go with juice I can go pretty much right away and maybe supplement that with a gu or energy bar during the ride. I hydrate plenty in any case.

You'll figure out what's best for you with a bit of experimentation. Find a combo that keeps your breakfast down and your energy levels up and stay hydrated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I have been eating more fruit and nuts lately. I'm becoming addicted to almonds. I've also cut back on soda and fast food. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.