Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya wicked riders out there ;)
Just got my new 2008 Morewood Shova LT (kick ass beauty).
In 2008 travel is down from 7.6" to 7.1" and it is armed with the DHX 4 with 350 spring. My Qs:
1. I weight 185lbs (w/o gear), and sag is pretty generous as it stands right now (about 35%). In your experience, is it too much? is it better to stay with this 350 spring and twick with other settings or should I better be with 400 spring for 'firmer feel'? I am asking all you riders with similar figures and experience with this amount of rear travel.
2. I have DHX 5 on 2 other bikes of mine but never used a DHX 4, am I going to lack the bottom out feature? on a 7" rear travel is this an important dial? I don't hack crazy stuff (Bender style), max would be 6-9 feet (normally 4-6). Should this alone call for a stiffer spring (400) as related to my first Q? Should I opt for the DHX 5 upgrade for that feature alone? Any riders out there with the DHX 4 experience on FR rigs out there?

Sorry if too loooong
Cheers :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Israel...

Local Morewood disti is a national DH star & more inportant, a buddy, hence price was choice :) (sub $2000)

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
zlang
i weigh 185lb too and i have just invested in an orange 66 which is almost identical to your shova, if your shock stroke is 2.5". i looked on tf tuned spring calculator and it recommends a 500 spring for freeride, 28% sag. for downhill it will be a little lower, 450lb.
there is no difference in the spring requirements of the dhx 4 and dhx 5.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

·
Registered
784 Posts
I also used that Spring calculator for setting up the sag / preload of my rear shock. It's quite accurate. BTW i have a similar single pivot (MC Sin) with compable travel (7 inches).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Shova shock stroke is 2.75"

which usually yields lower spring number then that of 2.5" stroke. I checked the calc and it shows ~400. I guess my Q refrased would be, what sag do most of you ride on a 7" FR bike? is it less then 30% or more like in the 35% range?

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
28ish% for me, but i like a slightly firmer feel for sprinting and for increased bottom out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congrats on the buy man, you will love the bike. I have a 07 Shova Lt setup with a RS Vivid 5.1 and a RS Totem Air. I run around 35% Sag and way about 175lbs. I run a 300lb spring on the Vivid but it also takes a 50lb less spring rate than a DHX would. If you get another shock for it I would get the Vivid as its way better than the DHX 5.0. I have many DHX 5.0's. My suggestion would be get a 400lb and try it. It would not hurt for you to have a 400lb and 350lb unless you got to a Vivid then you would need a 300lb and a 350lb spring. That way you can change out the spring for different courses.

By the way lets see some pics of the bike man!!!!

Enjoy it.
Cecil

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm looking at picking up the shova lt as a frame, does it really have a 135 x12mm rear??? and if so what kinda wheels you guys running... I got a set of outlaws right now i could use but i kinda like them on the bike there on now... just looking for suggestinos.

·
Registered
548 Posts
skiz said:
I'm looking at picking up the shova lt as a frame, does it really have a 135 x12mm rear??? and if so what kinda wheels you guys running... I got a set of outlaws right now i could use but i kinda like them on the bike there on now... just looking for suggestinos.
It has a 135mm x 12mm Rear. Its a great bike. I use the Azonic OutLaws.

Here is mine. Older pic before I put the RS Vivid on it.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts