Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love my Zion, but the one thing that bothered me about it was the cable guides .Thanks to Jerry (Enoch) I now have five beautiful Paragon Machine Works cable guides.

Here's the frame ready for slicing and dicing action,

and the pile of parts that have been on and off the bike a lot in the last couple of weeks.

Jerry "I'm no stranger to danger" hacking away at the old silly guides.

Jerry pointed out that my rear disc mount left a little to be desired.

Once he got the ugly parts outta the way he smoothed things out all nice like.

Then we were on our way over to Cheech's "Shop of Wonders". Cheech made quick work of mounting the cable guides.

"You paid how much for this frame?"

The guides were made to look like part of the frame when we got back to Jerry's place.

When I got back home I just laid the cable in there to see just how pretty it would be. Nice.

This is the perfect shot. If I ever get my custom 29'er I hope the guides will be this inconspicuous. I placed the guide nearest the seat tube as far back as I could for shouldering it during nasty hike-a-bike La Ruta style climbing.

Now it's off to paint. David at P2 Custom Works right here in Charlotte, NC is picking it up tomorrow to give it some paint which will hopefully bring my Zion just a little closer to my $6,000,000 budget. Enoch's frame already got the same treatment, but he was in too big of a hurry to document it.

Here's how it looked when I first built it up, and another picture after I made a few adjustments. It's been through four forks, two seats, three stems (four by the end of the week), two rear tires, and two seatposts.

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Nice job! I plan on sending a frame David's way too. He's a great guy.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Singletrack Pig said:
What is the paint job going to run you? Paint or powdercoat? I need to get my frame redone before long.
Not sure yet. I'm his first customer. The guy doing the paint work is a pro. David is doing the marketing/sales/stripping.
PM me if you want a telephone or email him at p2customworks at hotmail. com
I'm going to get the frame "Bedazzled".

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Stop by our shop and we will sell you the shorts to match! The price is $49.99 but you can break that up into 3 easy payments.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Did you use any filler where the old guides were?

What did you use on the old guide's braze material after the cutoff wheel? Is that just a polishing wheel or is it somewhat abrasive?

After you brazed in the guides, were they messy or did you only have to take a little bit off?

Did you sand them clean or is that a cutoff wheel also?

I brazed in some horizontal dropouts on a frame and removed some brazeons...they don't look so hot.

Any suggestions?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rockhound said:
Nope, no filler.

rockhound said:
What did you use on the old guide's braze material after the cutoff wheel? Is that just a polishing wheel or is it somewhat abrasive?
The disc he used looked like a brown smashed hairball. You could run it against your hand, and it didn't hurt. It was abrasive enough to take away the brass.

rockhound said:
After you brazed in the guides, were they messy or did you only have to take a little bit off??
They were a little messy, but he cleaned them up with a combo of the hairball tool and a cut-off wheel.

rockhound said:
Did you sand them clean or is that a cutoff wheel also??
Cut-off wheel again.

rockhound said:
I brazed in some horizontal dropouts on a frame and removed some brazeons...they don't look so hot.

Any suggestions?
Seek knowledgeable help. I don't know jack, and I was very thankful to have people like Jerry and Cheech in my world.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
rockhound said:

After you brazed in the guides, were they messy or did you only have to take a little bit off?

Did you sand them clean or is that a cutoff wheel also?

Any suggestions?
The cutoff wheel would be quit, but probably not very exact. On my frame, I used a combination of half-round and flat rat tail files to remove the excess brass and shape it, then various grits of sand paper to polish it. It took a while, but came out really nice.

·
Registered
122 Posts
grawbass said:
The cutoff wheel would be quit, but probably not very exact. On my frame, I used a combination of half-round and flat rat tail files to remove the excess brass and shape it, then various grits of sand paper to polish it. It took a while, but came out really nice.
Same procedure here when I saw the light and made my modifications to my KM frame. Now the bike does not have gearhanger or any guides and it has a pure soul.. :D

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grawbass said:
Now that I read the fourth question again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound
Did you sand them clean or is that a cutoff wheel also??

I see what he meant. He didn't use a cutoff wheel to remove the extra brass. He used the tool that looked like the smashed hairball when it got down to the final work of removing the excess material.
The guy from P2 Customs probably has to do a little more finish work on the area before he paints it, I would guess.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I cut the big stuffwith a cut off wheel, then I use a abrasive fiber wheel (Rolock) After I get it down to the brass , I go to a less abrasive wheel untill the brass dissappears. All you need is a good eye and a little cordination and you remove brass to the metal without making flat spots. A little sanding afterwards and it is as good as new. No filler needed.

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Enoch said:
All you need is a good eye and a little cordination and you remove brass to the metal without making flat spots. A little sanding afterwards and it is as good as new. No filler needed.
Well, I just need more practice 'cause my first try wasn't pretty...;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.