Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks to all those that take time on this board to help us tourists.

I've read the sticky post, and it is a great start.
I'd order Paul's book, but it is back ordered for 4-6 weeks up here in Canada so I would not get it in time to plan for the target date of late January for our trip.

We are hoping to do a trip to the Phoenix area for a week, so we will have 5-6 riding days. With that in mind, I have a few additional questions. Brief answers will work. I'll search the forum for details.

1) Is there a best area/place to stay that is central to the trails.
2) A quick run down of a weeks rides; anything from scenic single track to the most technical riding you have.

thanks,
Scott

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
FRP said:
The trails are all over the valley. I would suggest staying somewhere that has some stuff to offer you after you are done riding. But it depends on what you're into. I would suggest Tempe (close to the action on Mill Ave and ASU)as it is close to South Mtn, relatively close to Hawes/Pass Mountain and the Phoenix preserves.

·
EDR
10,299 Posts
Tempe/ near ASU is a cool place to stay. Plenty of night life if your into partying or people watching.

Hawes is really nice single track with great views of the mountains and desert scenery. Many miles of interconnecting trails, not marked very well. You can start near the top for a faster more flowing ride or go the other way (start at Power Rd. drop in) for much more of a workout.

South Mtn. offers the most technical challange. From the 48th st parking lot (Pima parking lot) head up Mormon trail and connect with National. Take it for up to 8 or 10 miles, very challenging. National is slow riding most all of the time whether going up or down, at least for me. Lots of stair steps and drop offs. - Have fun. There are more trails to choose from but I'll leave it for others to chime in.

BTW South Mtn and Hawes are only 20 minutes or so from the Tempe area.

p.s. thanks YuriB for the Catalina recommendation. It was cool. Our newbie Paul, got a real introduction to mtb'ing, broken ring on his cassette, cactus in the ass and all ..... :D

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
FRP said:
Hi and thanks to all those that take time on this board to help us tourists.

I've read the sticky post, and it is a great start.
I'd order Paul's book, but it is back ordered for 4-6 weeks up here in Canada so I would not get it in time to plan for the target date of late January for our trip.

We are hoping to do a trip to the Phoenix area for a week, so we will have 5-6 riding days. With that in mind, I have a few additional questions. Brief answers will work. I'll search the forum for details.

2) A quick run down of a weeks rides; anything from scenic single track to the most technical riding you have.

thanks,
Scott
Thank you for the heads up re. Amazon; looks like those jerks have backed off on pre-ordering and storing a handful of books. I updated the link so now it points to REI. I know they have 'em in stock and can get a copy to you much faster.

Best place to stay in Phoenix to get to South Mountain is really anywhere along the I-10, US60 or the 202. The main entrance to the park is very convenient via all those freeways.

A week's worth of rides is a tall order. Let's see what the other locals stir up.

p.

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
FRP said:
I would stay in Tempe around ASU or South Scottsdale. Lots of relatively inexpensive places to stay and many things to do and places to eat.

Here's some ride ideas:
Day-long technical epic - Goat Camp in the White Tank Mtns (west valley). Search the forum for Goat Camp. Also search posts by Epicrider - he has posted much info about it.

4-6 hour singletrack epic with some technical aspects- Hawes/Twisted Sister (NE Mesa area) over to Usery Pass Rd. and the Pass Mtn. Loop. About 35 miles of very sweet riding.

Competitive Tracks at McDowell Mtn. Park (north of Fountain Hills) - Three race loops, the Sport, Tech and Long Loops, that are nice desert singletrack mountain biking. Pretty out there. Plus, the Pemberton Trail is out there - 15.4 mile loop of very easy singletrack. Fun for a spin or workout.

Phoenix Mtn. Preserve, aka T100 area (central Phoenix by Squaw Peak) - Lots of riding, with some very technical parts. You could ride for hours. There is a standing Tuesday night ride each week at 6:30 pm led by the aforementioned Epicrider. Worth making.

Lost Dog Wash area/Sunrise Trail - see my post in the Visitors sticky. Sunrise is a long climb with a fun non-tech downhill.

South Mtn. - National, etc, you've heard it all.

Post up you're experiences...

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
All of Walt's ideas are right on.

Here's Epicrider's website for South Mountain, Hawes, and Phoenix Mountain Preserve maps, http://singletrack.us his maps are better than the parks can provide.

Check out http://www.maricopa.gov/parks for White Tanks, McDowell and other local parks. All of these parks cost you 5 bucks to enter.

Things to avoid-

Estrella - all sloppy rock with no flow, it has some technical challenges though.
Pima/Dynamite - only go here if you're going with someone who knows the area very well, otherwise it will suck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all the information. The riding looks fantastic, and the in-line maps are amazing.

scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts