Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chaplin Turner Overdrive
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't fancy taking my UST setup to the French Alps this year, so I've got myself some standard 2.3 WTB Weirwolf Race tyres, and am trying to mount them to my UST Crossmax Enduro wheelset, with big fat Panaracer DH tubes.

Problem is, I can't get the tyres to mount straight - the bead seems to be "pinching" in at least one place on each side, which is pulling the whole tyre out of alignment. You can see that the small ribbed area around the bead vanishes under the rim where it's pinched. It inflates fine, but the tread is all over the place and it feels like riding on a squirming jelly mould.. I'm using plenty of soapy water - no joy.

Any ideas? Maybe it just ain't gonna work!

Nick

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
HollywoodUK said:
Didn't fancy taking my UST setup to the French Alps this year, so I've got myself some standard 2.3 WTB Weirwolf Race tyres, and am trying to mount them to my UST Crossmax Enduro wheelset, with big fat Panaracer DH tubes.

Problem is, I can't get the tyres to mount straight - the bead seems to be "pinching" in at least one place on each side, which is pulling the whole tyre out of alignment. You can see that the small ribbed area around the bead vanishes under the rim where it's pinched. It inflates fine, but the tread is all over the place and it feels like riding on a squirming jelly mould.. I'm using plenty of soapy water - no joy.

Any ideas? Maybe it just ain't gonna work!

Nick
Try rotating the tire 90° on the rim. Might try a smaller tube, too, mount it dry with talcum powder between the tire and tube.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts