Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked already, I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

My wife has a first generation ML and we're thinking about a larger tire in the rear. I understand that Titus is offering an upgrade to the chain stays.
Questions

(1) Cost is $200 right?

(2) What gets swapped exactly, the chainstays and seatstays, or just the chainstays?

(3) What’s the biggest/tallest (tubeless) tire the new setup will take? She has a 2.1 Nev at the moment, but we'd like something with more volume.

Thanks guys!!
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
Steve71 said:
Sorry if this has been asked already, I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

My wife has a first generation ML and we're thinking about a larger tire in the rear. I understand that Titus is offering an upgrade to the chain stays.
Questions

(1) Cost is $200 right?

(2) What gets swapped exactly, the chainstays and seatstays, or just the chainstays?

(3) What’s the biggest/tallest (tubeless) tire the new setup will take? She has a 2.1 Nev at the moment, but we'd like something with more volume.

Thanks guys!!
Hi Steve...

You have to order the FR Lowers. They're about 200-220, and it's polished silver. You only change the chainstay.

I think you can fit a 2.4 or maybe 2.5 without problems. Right now I have a Cinder 2.25 and have plenty of space. I'm happy with the lowers.
 

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rzozaya1969 said:
and it's polished silver.
:eek: That should match up real well with the rest of her Frost Pink bike.

How much to they charge to have it painted? Or conversely, how much it would cost to have her seatstay polished?
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,019 Posts
Steve71 said:
:eek: That should match up real well with the rest of her Frost Pink bike.

How much to they charge to have it painted? Or conversely, how much it would cost to have her seatstay polished?
I think that you can have the seatstay polished for about $50.

Max tire: probably a 2.35 Nevegal. The seatstay brace becomes your limiting factor.
 

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zorg said:
I think that you can have the seatstay polished for about $50.

Max tire: probably a 2.35 Nevegal. The seatstay brace becomes your limiting factor.
Polished rear triangle.... that should look pretty sweet. Only problem is the down time. Anyway know the turnaround time to have the seatsays polished?
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,019 Posts
Steve71 said:
Polished rear triangle.... that should look pretty sweet. Only problem is the down time. Anyway know the turnaround time to have the seatsays polished?
My best guess: 2 weeks (time to take it off, ship, have it done, shipped back, remounted).
 

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zorg said:
That's why you need 2 bikes. :D
Well she has another bike but it's a DH bike. I think she'll just have to live with the polished chainstay with pink seatstay, or maybe get the new stay painted frost pink - no down time then. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,367 Posts
Polished stay looks good

I think the polished stay looks great, that is what I have on my ML. My question is, if she has a downhill bike, does she really need to run a 2.35 tire on the back?? I have the FR lowers and I still run a 2.1 Nevegal on the back and I generally ride fast aggresive singletrack and do some 1-2 foot drops. One thing to remember, the FR lowers add about a 1/4 pound to the bike, plus the weight of a bigger tire
 

Attachments

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
craigstr said:
I think the polished stay looks great, that is what I have on my ML. My question is, if she has a downhill bike, does she really need to run a 2.35 tire on the back?? I have the FR lowers and I still run a 2.1 Nevegal on the back and I generally ride fast aggresive singletrack and do some 1-2 foot drops. One thing to remember, the FR lowers add about a 1/4 pound to the bike, plus the weight of a bigger tire
Hey thanks for the pic! Nice looking ride - I've always liked that color.

After much experimentation I'm a big believer in LARGE volume tires with stiff sidewalls for our local trails. Colorado Front Range gets next to no rain and is very steep & loose with lots of square edge imbedded rocks. It's in pretty bad shape compared to a lot of the DH trails at the ski resorts. :eek: Big tires put the fun back into our trails IMHO. No more getting knocked off line, overshooting switchbacks or having to pick you way though the rock gardens. Not to mention no more pinch flats. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Talk to Spectrum Powder Works.

I believe they are local to you:

Spectrum Powder Works
309 - D Arrawanna St.
Colorado Springs, CO. 80909

, and I've heard they do top notch work.

Personally, I went with a back rear triangle when I got the FR lowers. But, polished would look nice too. Plus, it's the most practical in terms of durablility.
 

·
Motion activated
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dulyebr said:
Talk to Spectrum Powder Works.

I believe they are local to you:

Spectrum Powder Works
309 - D Arrawanna St.
Colorado Springs, CO. 80909

, and I've heard they do top notch work.

Personally, I went with a back rear triangle when I got the FR lowers. But, polished would look nice too. Plus, it's the most practical in terms of durablility.
I just checked out the Titus site and they no longer have frost pink as a color option :mad:
For now though, I think she'll be sporting polished chainstays and we'll do something about matching it when winter comes around.

BTW thanks for the SPW info!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top