Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I’d like to raise the gearing on my 1 x 10 Trek X Caliber 7 2021.

I spend most of my time in the higher half of the gear set and sometimes run out of gears (prob should have got a gravel bike). I’d also like to keep the chain straighter.

OE chainring is 30T. In the Trek website, it says that the max chainring size is 32T.

firstly, will an extra 2T really make any difference?

And secondly, is the max size just because of chain length etc or is it where the bolts are or something.

many thanks,
Matt H

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hi, I've just gone from a 30 to 32t chainring and haven't noticed much difference tbh, although I changed my cassette at the same time and it's early days yet.

I read somewhere that it will add around 1mph in top gear (32-11) at full effort, don't know how true that is.

Max chainring size is to do with chainring and chainstay clearance. From 30 to 32 is around an extra 8mm in diameter so teeth will be 4mm closer to your frame providing the chainline remains unaltered.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,804 Posts
Not sure you have any good (cheap) options. I went to Trek's website and if this is your crankset I don't think 2x is possible without buying a different one.

And that chainring looks pretty close to the frame (thus the reason for 32t max ring size).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Tire

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just added a 32T chainring as an upgrade from the stock 30T on my daughters 2022 Procaliber (10-51T in rear) to get more high end power since she's racing. She says that she can notice a difference. On the Procaliber, the max front chainring size is 36T. She may want to try a 34T after a while, since she also rides in mostly the higher gears. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks everyone - I do like the 1 x .

maybe a higher geared rear cog set might be an option?
Not for cheap. The way to make the rear cog higher geared is to make the small cog smaller. The 11t cog you have is as small as it gets for a Shimano HG freehub. You'd have to go to an XD or Microspline driver (if they make it for your hub), get an 11 or 12 speed cassette with a 9 or 10t cog, and get the rest of an 11 or 12 speed drivetrain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi!
I'd like to raise the gearing on my 1 x 10 Trek X Caliber 7 2021.

I spend most of my time in the higher half of the gear set and sometimes run out of gears (prob should have got a gravel bike). I'd also like to keep the chain straighter.

OE chainring is 30T. In the Trek website, it says that the max chainring size is 32T.

firstly, will an extra 2T really make any difference?

And secondly, is the max size just because of chain length etc or is it where the bolts are or something.

many thanks,
Matt H
2t will make a difference. Not a huge difference but the difference is there. 2t will make about a 1/2 gear step change. So right now your effort in your current 2nd gear will be somewhere between your 2nd gear and 1st gear with a 2t larger chainring. If you can move to a 4t larger you get a whole gear step change in gearing. So your 2nd gear with a 4t larger chainring would be almost equal to your current 1st gear.

This will help you visualize the change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks - I’ve just measured the gap between chain ring and the closest part of the frame, and there seems to be at least 1cm.

I think I’ll try the 34T, as around 1 gear diff was what I was hoping for 🙂

should I add a couple of chain links? I honestly don’t see myself ever using 1st gear though tbh - I haven’t got the balance for it!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.