Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Last week the intention was to go to Raven Pond as part of the Tour de Swim ride. That part was dropped as it was deemed too far for the leisurely style of the type of ride the Tour de Swim ride is. So, I decided that I would ride out there and swim it myself. Looking at the map Raven Pond (and Deer Camp Trail) is the practically the farthest east you can go in the park. It is quite a distance if you figure that it is near a mile past Mustang Peak which is far on it's own. Factor in heat and...

So, I got up wanting to ride and knowing where. I wanted to swim Raven Pond. I hadn't swam there before and I am slowly getting around to swimming in all the swim holes of Coe. That is also the point of the Tour de Swim holes ride that we did last week. Intentions were to arrive at 9 AM since it seemed a long one. I was thinking of Raven Pond to Jack Rabbit Lake, then Mississippi Lake. Aggressive, I know. I drove with my top down with a jacket on through the overcast skies. It was cold. As I was nearing Hunting Hollow parking lot I could feel the searing heat. Really noticeable with every mile once I got to Gilroy Hot Springs Road.

I arrived in the lot to see Charlie's vehicle along with (other) park fixture who goes by the name of Jay. I got ready, admired his new, 2011 Specialized Epic and I was off and up Hunting Hollow Road and then climbing the Lyman Willson Trail. I wanted to get to Pacheco Camp as quick as possible, no extra stuff. Wagon Road to Coit Dam Trail to Coit Ridge Trail and then to Pacheco Camp. I decided to top up on water since it was a long ride to Raven Pond. Onward and up Coit Road to County Line Road then down Turkey Pond Trail. Near the end of Turkey Pond Trail I took out a tree branch that I had noticed last ride across the trail with my handy fiskars saw. I got back on County Line Road for quite a while, past the Dutch's Trail sign and past the gate at Mustang Peak. It was getting pretty hot. As I hoisted my bike up and over the gate, my hands were met with searing heat of the bicycle frame. That's good. No hesitation getting in Raven Pond then. I rode the last mile and came to the next gate. This one isn't locked, just a chain. Once through the trail to Raven Pond (and the dead ending Deer Camp Trail) is visible. I headed down. I caught myself going down Deer Camp Trail accidentally. I backtracked, then I headed down the correct fork and there it was, Raven Pond. And quite swim-able. Not like the mud-pond I saw last time I was here. But that was late in the year. Plus, there was more rain this year. As I came to the shores a frog, startled, squeaked and hoped into the pond to escape this monster that suddenly appeared. I dove in. Another swim in a remote pond in Coe. I swam the full length of Raven Pond. It was warm on top but down a few feet it was quite cold. A beautiful swim. And pretty good, not too much crappy stuff, just around the edges.

I packed up and headed back to Mustang Peak. I had planned on going out to Jack Rabbit Lake via Long Ridge Road. As I got to the gate I heard a vehicle. It was a land owner in a large silver truck. I talked with him briefly. He owns a place here and lives out near Coe on the weekends and said he loves it. Hard to disagree with him. I spend my Saturdays in Coe so I can relate. He commented on my being out here with the heat. I told him I loved it. When I started heading down Long Ridge Road to go even farther away from my starting point he seemed concerned. "You going to Jack Rabbit?" I replied, "Jack Rabbit Lake, yes." He continued on his way as I rode down the steep beginning of Long Ridge Road from Mustang Peak.

I got to Jack Rabbit Lake after some rolling hills. I was ready for a swim. The water is lower from a couple of weeks ago. You hate to see that. Still, it felt great. I swam across Jack Rabbit Lake and back.

Then, I filtered water. I packed up and I was off. Long Ridge Road to Orestimba Road. I stopped off at a small water hole and took a photo. I suppose I should have swam in it but didn't. Water seemed a bit funny.

Off to Orestimba Creek Road. But on the way I saw this out of the blue!!

It was so bright! And such a long string on it. It was bran new!

I was being rewarded for a ride well-done, so far. How timely. Congrats! indeed!!!

I picked the mylar balloon and kept on. Orestimba Creek Road was bone-dry and like a desert. Rolling tires on rocks. High gear, just roll and roll. I had an idea that I might bag a couple of water swims. I usually take the fun Orestimba Creek Trail but if I instead, stayed on Orestimba Creek Road, I would be able to swim Kingbird Pond and Will's Pond, both new swims for me. I quickly got to the trail to Kingbird Pond. It was 1/2 a mile to the small pond. Not long I arrived at a green patch of vegetation earlier in the year known as Kingbird Pond. I really wanted this one. But the swim wasn't to be. I hiked on foot further to check for more water. I did find a bit, small patches, maybe enough to wet my ankles. Devastating. After all that, I was rewarded with legs full of burrs and stickers and thimbles of water. I head back to Orestimba Creek Road.

There was still Will's Pond. I have never actually seen Will's Pond. It is off the trail and a bit hidden. I rode a ways and walked off trail to where I thought it might be. No, just a dry creek. I rode a bit further, being careful not to go to far. I didn't want to pass it. I really had my hopes up for a swim and it would be nice to finally find this illusive Will's Pond. I don't know who Will was and no mention of Will's Pond in "Names On The Land" by Teddy Goodrich. Still, I'm sure there is a story there. I got off the bike again and saw what looked like a dam in the distance. This looked maybe good. I was skeptical, though. I hiked maybe an eighth of a mile and came up over the rise, the thing that looked like a dam. A trail did lead to it so things seemed good. I crested the hill and lo and behold, Will's Pond.

Glorious! I found it and it did look very swim-able! I got ready then dove it. The water was good, good, good. There was vegetation that grew to near the surface in various places but it was quite pleasant. I swam all around the pond. Pretty in that there is a cove under a tree where I swam under with a rock next to it, and another pretty inlet.

A view from the shore looking into the sun:

Very satisfying. After the swim I took more pictures. Really serene.

It was time to go. I still had hopes of going to Mississippi Lake but it was getting late. I rode to County Line Road and Coit Road. I was pretty tired. I decided I wouldn't have the time or energy to go all the way to Mississippi Lake. I had planned on swimming there, heading out via Heritage Trail to Pacheco Creek Trail to Pacheco Camp. But, I couldn't. I rode to Pacheco Camp, directly instead. Even that was tough.

I spent too much time at Pacheco Camp. My back was sore and my legs were noodles. I felt I could probably strum a little song on them if i tried.

Then it was out of the hole that is Pacheco Camp and up and on to Wagon Road. I got to Tule Pond Trail and it was so late that I opted for Grizzly Gulch Trail. Out there and to the lot. By the time I finished it was 9 pm. Near 12 hours. I had done a lot. A great ride. It was glorious out in Coe today. And, judging by this:

.......it was 100 degrees out there. This was at 6 PM. Earlier and farther it felt hotter. I rode 49 miles and 8,400 feet. Pretty good, I think.

Roy.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Ever worry about those parasites that can crawl up your urethra? there's probably none in those scummy ponds anyway so nothing to worry about, sweet dreams :thumbsup:

"The organisms that cause infection usually enter the urinary tract by one of two routes. The most common route by far is through the lower end of the urinary tract—the opening of a man's urethra at the tip of the penis or the opening of a woman's urethra at the vulva. The infection ascends the urethra to the bladder, and sometimes to the kidneys, or both. The other possible route is through the bloodstream, usually to the kidneys."

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
That's it.. I'm wearing protection on the next Tour de Swim Holes!

"Water seemed a bit funny." - words I never thought I'd hear from you, Plymmer!

Damn sorry I missed this ride - much Epic™ness and truly balloon worthy!

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
Roy,

Is there not a pond even further out than Raven, in one of the newer additions to the park? I have vague memories that it's somewhere off County Line Road, it was not as big as Raven. I only visited it once, during a back country weekend two-three years ago, which explains my lack of concreteness.

·
More pie please
1,958 Posts
knobs said:
Roy,

Is there not a pond even further out than Raven, in one of the newer additions to the park?
I have vague memories that it's somewhere off County Line Road, it was not as big as
Raven. I only visited it once, during a back country weekend two-three years ago, which
explains my lack of concreteness.
That would be Bullhead Reservoir.

Speaking of Bullhead, would TahoeBC happen to have any health warnings for me in
regards to these guys which on Saturday I found huddling in the shade of a tree next
to Rodeo Pond?

Up on top of Willson Peak, in that barren moonscape area, I tried to capture that on film
the way that sunlight shimmers off of the Serpentine rock:

It was better in real life but at least I got the photo while Serpentine is still the official
State Rock of California. There is currently a bill in the State Senate to remove that title.
L.A. Times story: Should California’s state rock be stripped of its title because it
contains asbestos?

Great ride report Roy!
///Charlie

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Skyline35 said:

Speaking of Bullhead, would TahoeBC happen to have any health warnings for me in
regards to these guys which on Saturday I found huddling in the shade of a tree next
to Rodeo Pond?

In fact I would, you'd be ill advised to chase after one down a trail :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Skyline35 said:

to Rodeo Pond?

///Charlie
I'm sure he must have some interesting insights and advice (e.g. 'how to stitch a gaping wound with only a multitool and a few shreds of spandex'); after all, his playful encounters with these creatures are well documented.

Great swim ride Roy, but don't scare the kids with your Swamp Thing impressions!

·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
The Bull Brothers...

While returning from Kelly Lake July 14th I met the same pair at Camp Wilson...

BB2862.jpg

"Please move...":
BB2863.jpg

"You talkin' to me...?":
BB2864.jpg

"Ooops, bull at right pawing the ground...":
BB2866.jpg

"You show me yours, I'll show you mine...":
BB2867.jpg

"Glad you guys saw things my way...":
BB2869.jpg

(Kids, don't try this at home...)

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
plymmer said:
Pretty good, I think.
Pretty good, me think too. Thanks for the fun read. It's funny that the needle has been bent in that thermostat to give a perception of a temperature lower than what it actually is. Sneaky! ;)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
ElHombre said:
I'm sure he must have some interesting insights and advice (e.g. 'how to stitch a gaping wound with only a multitool and a few shreds of spandex'); after all, his playful encounters with these creatures are well documented.
Although the story in that book was embellished by the editors for the most part it's what happened. Looking at the pics posted you can imagine what it would be like to get hit by one of those bad boys with a full on charge, it was like getting hit by a freight train, really I'm lucky to be alive.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Needle

mudworm said:
Pretty good, me think too. Thanks for the fun read. It's funny that the needle has been bent in that thermostat to give a perception of a temperature lower than what it actually is. Sneaky! ;)
I'm not sure if the needle is bent. I do know it felt hotter and normally is in the north-eastern part of the park. Also, you have to give it a gentle tap as it tends to stick. Check out this site: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...75&site=sto&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

You can pinpoint temperatures. Notice the temperature differential from Park Headquarters and Jack Rabbit Lake. A handy website introduced to me by a friend of mine who goes by the handle of Skyline35.

Roy.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Needle & The Damage Done...

mudworm said:
Yup, bent!
Ah, I see. So, that would mean it was even hotter on September 27th, 2009?

Thanks for clarifying.

Roy.

Oh, and I recently saw this curious sign along the shores of Almaden Reservoir:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
plymmer said:
Ah,

Oh, and I recently saw this curious sign along the shores of Almaden Reservoir:

Those signs have been there for years, fallout from the mercury mining that was done back there way back when

Edit just noticed the fork notice :D

·
Medium?
6,725 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Ever worry about those parasites that can crawl up your urethra? there's probably none in those scummy ponds anyway so nothing to worry about, sweet dreams :thumbsup:

"The organisms that cause infection usually enter the urinary tract by one of two routes. The most common route by far is through the lower end of the urinary tract—the opening of a man's urethra at the tip of the penis or the opening of a woman's urethra at the vulva. The infection ascends the urethra to the bladder, and sometimes to the kidneys, or both. The other possible route is through the bloodstream, usually to the kidneys."
Buzz kill...

·
More pie please
1,958 Posts
ElHombre said:
I'm sure he must have some interesting insights and advice (e.g. 'how to stitch a gaping
wound with only a multitool and a few shreds of spandex'); after all, his playful encounters
with these creatures are well documented.
While logged into my google acct, I was able to read that book on http://books.google.com
TahoeBC's story starts on page 83, Hazard on the Trail by Roland Goity.

@ pliebenberg - yes, those look like the same two bulls which I saw.

///Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts