Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep, yet another Sultan. Lots of love for these bikes lately, at this point I concur that it's well deserved.

I managed to get my hands on one of the few early anodized Sultan frames out there, which is cool 'cuz I really dig ano frames. Shows off the construction much more nicely, and I like the look. I was a little nervous about the whole gold ano thing, but it really is better described as "Brass" as the Turner folks say. More warmth than bling. This is a Medium frame, I'm 180lb (and falling) fully geared up and ready to rock, 5'8" for those looking for sizing reference. Full build spec and details are posted (click here) in the Sultan Setup thread in the Turner forum.

Build went very very smoothly. Frame was already prepped, faces were nice and square, so the actual wrenching was a snap. I'm a new guy to the Nokon thing, but didn't find them horribly difficult to set up. Just a bit time consuming to get the lengths right, etc. - patience and thinking ahead clearly pays off in setting up these funky cables. Since I had extra Nokonage given my drivetrain setup, I Nokon'ed the Reba Race remote lockout just for pure overkillage/ridiculosity sake. I used the 1x9 setup (32F / 11-34R)from my 26in 4" travel bike, I really dug the whole 1x9 thing on that machine. Indications are that I'll like it equally as well here in the 29er world. I may try to track down a 30T chainring just to have in my spares kit, may come in handy depending on how things go on the bigger climbs. The frame design appears to make it impossible to run a Jumpstop on the inside as I did on my 26er, so I'm kicking around an inner guideplate just to have some form of inside chain guidance. Always open for suggestions/ideas on that one.

The (VXC/Hope ProII) wheelset was originally intended for a Ti 29er hardtail that Scott Q is welding up for me at the moment. I've got a set of I9's on order thru a LBS, but one of the two 29er projects will have to sit until they come in unless I pop for yet another wheelset in the meantime. I may set up the inbound Quiring (it's got Paragon sliders) as a singlespeed until the I9 wheelset is ready, dunno. At least that way I wouldn't have a redundant geared wheelset around while I'm in the queue. A guy could have worse problems - I ain't complainin'!

I built this as a trailbike, but I like light bikes, so some definite considerations for weight were part of the build. Personally, I think it's a good compromise for low weight with solid/trailbike-worthy parts. As pictured, it's 25.8 lb - built up with 180/160 brakes, YesTubes, Thomson post/stem, OS 31.8 bar, X9 components, Hope hubs, Resolution/Ignitor, etc. Not a weight-weenie or exotic build by any means, just careful selection of parts. I got a little love from Brown today, so a few parts will be swapped over in the next couple days which should bring it down darned close to 25lb even. The Resolution is probably a bit overkill for Michigan terrain, so I'm likely to play around with some kind of Ignitor/Nano combination (or maybe some SB8's) which will bring it down a bit as well. With the I9s set up tubeless, it might even get into the 24's. Not bad for a 4" travel big-wheeled bike.

I put in some miles on a shakedown ride last night, as the weather got into the low 40's with some rare (for Michigan) sunshine. Bike rode great, I was very pleased. Weirdest thing coming off a 26" ride was seeing that front wheel sticking WAY out there. Once on the bike, the seating position and overall height from the ground wasn't of significance. The experience is definitely different from what I expected. Jarrett at Turner assured me that the longer TT/shorter stem thing would work, and he was right. I think I could go a little longer with these 11deg bars on the bike, but it was quite comfortable and I really like the sweep on those ProMoto bars. Very comfy! The bike steers very very clean, quick and crisp. I've not owned a Turner before, and found the ride to be quite comfortable. The RP23 seems to work very well on this bike. PP settings were actually effective and discernable from one another, I like the shock a lot. The Reba was plush as usual, no surprises there.

I didn't ride any technical stuff, wanted to take it easy as I'm not exactly an experienced builder and I have deep personal experience with Murphy. No issues or parts falling off, so I didn't screw up too badly... :) The '07 X9 stuff is excellent - very crisp on shifting, and it set up quick and easy. Dunno if it's the short cage thing, or if the '07 RD is really improved over the '06, but I experienced no chain slap/suck of any kind and it shifted flawlessly. No big obstacles, but on some small drops and jumps it stayed very well composed and the package worked very well overall.

The 29er thing will take some getting used to for sure - it's definitely harder to get that front wheel up, and I expect to get schooled in the tight stuff until I am accustomed to the new geometry vs. my 26" bike. The "big wheels roll over all" prophecy is true, I'm a believer in that part for sure. It was really interesting riding over the same stuff and seeing how different it felt given the big wheels and that sweet Turner ride.

Overall, it is a great package, I'm solidly in new-bike love. Here's some post-build glamour-shot action, for those into such things:

·
mtbr member
249 Posts
Nice build, great write up and beautiful pics. What more could you ask for in a new bike post. I really like the look of the Sultan, it one of those bikes that just looks "right". I'd be very interested to see how many Sultans Turner are selling as compared to Spots this year.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments, WDS. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Can't wait to hit some proper singletrack to wring it out "right."

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
Ahhhh, another Ano Brass Sultan.:thumbsup: I'm getting to like the color more, now that I've had it for awhile.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice build, and thanks for the report. If I'm able to get a new bike in the not too distant future, I can't see it being anything besides a Sultan.

May I recommend re-routing your front brake hose so it's not going under the crown? Unlikely, but could get buzzed or even lock up the wheel if you hit something really hard. I run mine on the outside of the fork, with a patch of electrical tape at any contact points to prevent rub marks.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P-Funk - Yeah, I was definitely nervous when I pulled the trigger on that frame - gold usually ain't my bag for sure. But it looks really decent in person, I'm digging it particularly now that it's built up. That hilltop pic in your Setup post is awesome, by the way.

smelly - Thanks for the suggestion, I basically had no idea what I was doing when I put this together. :D I actually have it constrained a little differently now than when I took those initial build shots, but I do still have the line passing under the crown. Your point is a good one, I can just fish the line up the same way, just to the rear of the crown instead. I tied down the line with little tubing/zip-tie standoffs as I'd seen posted here once before and it works out really slick. I can post up a pic if you'd like to see how it's setup.

jaghouse - Yes, I posted on that thread and he PM'd me to explain that he basically cut up a jumpstop and attached it part way around the tube with silicone. I'm going to try making a custom inner guide ring, there looks to be enough room to do so on my setup. I'll take some measurements and post them up if you're interested, or can PM them your way if you like. The Blackstone inner guide ring is aluminum, so worst case I can turn down the OD a little if it doesn't clear on its own. If I end up making or modifying something I'll start a new thread with details and pics.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how many are running 1x9 on 29ers, or if anyone cares about the details, but I posted some info on my homebrew inner chain guide solution over on the Homer board here. A friend fabbed it up for me as an alternative to running an N-Gear Jumpstop type device like I'd been using on my 26" bike. The Jumpstop is not easily adapted to the Turner frame since the lower shock support design has a large presence right where one would want to clamp the Jumpstop on the seat tube. I decided to go the chain sammich route instead. Apologies for the cross-post/link, figured it might be of some interest to any 1x9ers in this same boat.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
highrustler said:
Question: do the ESI's stay put on the Salsa carbon bar?
Yes, no issues on the Salsa bar. I've got the Chunkys on this bike, and a set of Racer thins on a set of LP carbon bars on my Litespeed and they both stay put very very well. I've experimented with using air to install them, but find that the easiest way is with Windex. The Windex evaporates out thru the grip and they stay put very well.

Thanks for the comment, I'll watch for pics/info on your build-up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts