Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Well, I'm almost done shopping and I'm down to just the last few things that I need to sort out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First: My fork choice is the X-Fusion Velvet w/ tapered steerer. Is this the headset I need for the v3 B Side?:
40 ZS44/28.6 EC44/40 Conversion Headset
Cane Creek 40 ZS44/28.6 EC44/40 Conversion Headset in Tree Fort Bikes Headsets (cat98)

Second: I'm having a hard time finding a 400mm seat post that I like. My budget for this is pretty slim, or at least I would like it to be. All the one's I like that fit the price and (more importantly) the 27.2 diameter are either really cheap with mixed reviews or way more than I want to spend... What seatpost are you all using? Is anyone going against recommendations and using a 350mm length? Was hoping to be in the $25-40 dollar range on this. Obviously nothing flashy...

Last: I hate to ask this but I want to make sure before pulling the trigger on a wheelset: The rear end is 135mm, correct? Soma does not expressly say that and I did a search and found 135mm list on one site, but just want to verify.

I think (hope) that's it... for now... This is my first actual build and I'm excited to see how it will all come together.

Thanks in advance-

J.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure on the headset as im not familiar with your fork, call Cane Creek or who ever your buying the headset from... they will have a quick answer.

On the seat post the Race Face "ride" works good, and is not expensive, im using one 375mm for my Soma build. I know they "recommend" 400, but I don't run my seat as high as most.

Yes on the axle... 135.

Be sure and post some build pics etc....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm pretty sure that cane creek adapter is only for the internal stack zs44 frames. Ones that look like this:

View attachment 879704

Chris King has a good diagram of the different headtube types:
These are the ones that can be converted to accomodate tapered forks:
View attachment 879703

If I am correct these are the types that Soma uses:
View attachment 879705

Here is a BikeRadar article with some more details.

Just for reference, there are a few different tapered and non-tapered headtubes and their measurements here:
34mm-49mm
View attachment 879706
(I think the on-one inbred 456 had this headtube)

49mm-49mm
View attachment 879707
(I think cannondale used this standard for a while)

44mm-56mm
View attachment 879708
(I think the trek fuel bikes use this standard)

Check out cane creeks page on the S.h.i.s.:
SHIS Overview

Edit:
According to the cane creek headset finder the SOMA B-side uses External cup, so no tapered for you.

TL ; DR- Soma uses external Cup, everyone else uses zero stakc (ZS) or integrated stack (IS). Only ZS44 headtubes can be converted to tapered.

Edit: Soma B-side V.1 and V.2 no tapered. Soma B-side V.3 tapered.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It says right on the Soma website ZS 44(zero stack) upper cup and EC 44(external cup) headset. So the Cane Creek you have posted theoretically is correct except the part that concerns me in the description is "conversion" which implies it is a ZS/EC 44 headset but instead of a 1.5" lower crown race it come with their conversion race that allows you to use a 1 1/8" steerer with the tapered headset, you need to clarify the listing with the shop. If you looking at a tapered Velvet then you need the standard ZS44/EC44 combo. BTW if you need a Velvet RL2 I have an great condition special edition (black crown/grey lowers) one I can let go of (just switched to a sweep) just shoot me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I especially thank you, Dompedro3, for posting the graphics. I will get on the phone with Cane Creek and verify. All these options are a little overwhelming and confusing.

@ramjm_2000: Yes, that is the one listed by Soma, but I also thought it was for 1/8 steerer when reading everything.

Thanks again-

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dompedro that's incorrect EC44 works with tapered just fine. I have 44mm HT on both my hardtails and they run tapered forks. Also, the conversion race can be used on a EC (not just IC) headset just fine. I use one on my Fatbike that had a 1 1/8" steerer (Cane Creek 40 headset)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Dompedro that's incorrect EC44 works with tapered just fine. I have 44mm HT on both my hardtails and they run tapered forks. Also, the conversion race can be used on a EC (not just IC) headset just fine. I use one on my Fatbike that had a 1 1/8" steerer (Cane Creek 40 headset)
My bad, I was looking at the Soma B-side V2 (the blue one). The newest one (V.3) def. takes a 44mm headset.

The V2 frame had an EC34 headtube, which will not accept tapered forks.

Soma describes the headset pretty accurately:
CNC-machined 44mm headtube: Will take 1-1/8" steerers with a ZeroStack 44 headset or tapered steerers with a ZS44 upper assembly and external cup (EC44) lower assembly

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's here and I'm finally getting started!

Hey everyone, I got the frame in over a week ago. Finally got the headset Monday. Took her to the shop Tuesday to get the BB and headset installed. I plan to do the rest of the work on my own. My first build so please wish me luck!

Here is a starter pic:
Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Hardwood Bicycle part Couch

I'm going to have life getting in the way of much building this weekend, but I'll be plugging away at it as I am able. Hope to be doing first ride within two weeks.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help and input to me while planning everything out.

J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.