Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all this talk of SSing your RFX's and mine already had a lowish BB somehow I figured I'd get around to installing some Spots stays and 5.5 rockers one day!

Well I pulled the 5Spot apart a few weeks ago to let go for future options, and to give her a good clean down, took a bit longer than usual, anyhoo, no hot date for New Years the heads gone a little hay wire I thought a quiet night in some SAKE and whats a bloke to do but play with his TURNER to see the night in! :D

Well Maxxis and I had a slow peaceful evening walk ;)

So here's my bike content for the year :p

man this stuff is so sweet to pull apart stupidly easy, what a muffin for not doing this sooner!

Old RFX rockers I'll keep em as spare's see how it goes when I finally throw my legs back over my baby sometime in 09!

Maxxis overseeing my Photo duites hes got to be in shot the little poseur

Slacken out shes dropped about a 1/4 of an inch yeahaaaa! baby SS I hear ya calling

Manual city

Happy New Year Beyotches

Infinity and Beyonddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd :thumbsup:

RFX Chain Stays with 5Spot Seat Stays still plenty of room for 2.4s but now there doesn't look like a bus can be parked in between there as well, nice should be stiff and tight!

All I got to do now is get some 5.5 rockers get an Avy some day, so the poo DHXa GHEY shock can be binned for life..

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
Sspack

Looking good TA. Going to to the same mod on my Pack, once I get the PUSH bushings through. I was given a fancy torque wrench for xmas, and the Spot stays and 5.5 rockers are ready and waiting. Looking forward to a slacker new year :thumbsup:

Hope you get back on your bike a.s.a.p mate - having read your enthusiastic/positive posts these last months will hopefully be an inspiration for me if i ever pick up a long term injury (fingers crossed not though;) ). I don't know what your original injury was, but i get the impression head / neck? - if that is the case, working in 'the trade' I know these are some of the toughest to rehab from, but a lot of it is down to a positive approach...Go for it :)

Happy new year to the rest of you Turner lads and lasses also.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
swan lee said:
Looking good TA. Going to to the same mod on my Pack, once I get the PUSH bushings through. I was given a fancy torque wrench for xmas, and the Spot stays and 5.5 rockers are ready and waiting. Looking forward to a slacker new year :thumbsup:

Hope you get back on your bike a.s.a.p mate - having read your enthusiastic/positive posts these last months will hopefully be an inspiration for me if i ever pick up a long term injury (fingers crossed not though;) ). I don't know what your original injury was, but i get the impression head / neck? - if that is the case, working in 'the trade' I know these are some of the toughest to rehab from, but a lot of it is down to a positive approach...Go for it :)

Happy new year to the rest of you Turner lads and lasses also.
Chur SW yeah it was amazingly easy to do, I been putting it of because I run full length cabling and wasn't really keen to mess up the Spot stays, but then some zip tie brain waves came to me, and I just felt the SAKE kick in which helped me get over the nutz and bolts aspect, which was pretty painless!

The bushings were in great condition though some push ones to plop in there would have been nice I will have to treat myself to some before I'm back on the bike since its so easy to do like stupid easy, my hand is my torque wrench, I must get one actually its a good tool to have, Ive always been pretty good at tensions, though Ive had a tendancy to leave things loose sometimes on others bikes I;m not good at multitasking and that was pre accident something I see to do at times, not to be mentioned LOL!

Yeah hope to be back on the bike sometime, its head dependent, mainly holing me back the neck dosen't help its still if I do too much or stiffens up pretty quick, be awhile yet too many headaches and still sensitive I got a full marine haircut the other day for summer, I went from Patrick Swayze to Mark Weir marine no hair cut and shaved it all off, it was quite a buzz, and took sometime dud to the sensitivity, soon as the thing touched my head it goes off anyways feels good now,though looks is kinda strange, as if I just got out of Shawshank:D

Cheers anyways and best of New Years for ya tonight and for 09, rock on and many happy rides :thumbsup:

Um Push bushings!
Needs those 5.5 rockers to finish er off too!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Random Drivel said:
Looks good there, have you figured out the HTA yet?

Ardent on the rear, excellent choice. I just switched over to RRRRRRRRRRdents. Man, they are freakishly huge. The 2.4 has a ton of volume. :thumbsup:
Haha nah I'll do a ruler measurement today:D

Ya can download a cool app to ya Ipod touch angle finder pretty cool [Peter Breitling Clinometer] now thats geeky huh!
https://www.sicklines.com/2008/12/24/some-handy-angle-finders/

And will update once done :D

ya thing the Ardent Minion combo will be great these are my Spot wheels so no minion up front I will measure BB with my other wheelset as well today as the BB was higher!
with this wheelset . I thin the Ardent rear will be a classic not sure about the front but let you guy;s fill me in more on that I still like more tread up front but Ardents seem made for the RFX and me in the rear Im digging the look, so hopefully they will ride as well, just wish they did some more compounds, and SR in Min DHF argh

14' static on RFX seat stays and chain stays!
Ardent rear!
Big Betty front
on DT 5.1s
13.7" with RFX chain stays and 5Spot Seat Stays
HA TC
My dodgy broom says around 66 to 66.5, I know I had around 67 before but its suspect I used a spirit level as well with a bubble in it to get things as accurate as I could but the below would be cool!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ImaKlyde said:
I love my Ardents in everything but the slop we now have in western OR. The DH casing plus sticky versions are heavier than hell...but grip for days and tough as nails.

Brock...
I'm used or was used to 2ply Minions weight is not my primary concern but I would run SPs in rear anyway 2.4s I ran SP Mins no probs DHRs DHRs 2Ps of DH bike, but I hear ya our conditions hear we can get away with allot if it gets sloppy I go onto Swampthings they are amazing in mud I don;t care too much about rolling resistance when ya get grip that these provide so much more fun, why I don;t worry bout UST too much any more on the bigger bikes I can switch quickly, I can still run similar pressures get the same benefits without the hassle and swap quick I have no puncture issue but that maybe our terrain!

The Ardent looks fast as hell :D Man the bike feels SS BB def lower my cables needed a bit of readjustment ;)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Um checking BB sagged me on the bike in my sloppy joes, I'm used too low bb with my DJ bike still maybe when I can afford HS schidt for the RFX I might go 170mm and make most of it?, def feels slack sitting on the puppy umm liking it dam wish I could go test her, couldn;t do much with her though so outta shape no legs,they still look good just no umph :rolleyes:

I need a Bowflex and a cycle ops with my Skull Candy'; close by so I can hook into my breathing techniques to calm the head and mind dull the senses and DVD on rotate and treadmill for Maxxis, maybe next winter, too nice now:p

at 8 am Thu 1 January
Temperature: 19 °C
Wind Speed: 15 km/h
Wind Direction: WSW
Rainfall (last hr): 0.0 mm
Humidity: 82 %
Pressure: 1011 hPa
Fine, morning cloud. Warm northwesterlies.
Max: 26°C Min: 17°C

Off for morning walk soon after New Years day pancakes :D
Done the important things measured BB HA disced the camo wheels feed the dog!

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Looks cool TA - is that an '07/'08 front triangle mated to an '06 rear end? (not counting the 5 Spot SS). If so, it's a virtual twin for my new baby - the 5.5s drop the BB alot, but you do lose that extra half inch of travel - Happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is a stupid question, but when you change out the RFX seat stays and rockers with those from a 5.5 spot, would that steepen the seat tube angle and make it more upright? If so, by about how much? Other than losing a little bit of travel, does change how the RFX handles?

Also, where do you get Turner chain stay protectors? They look cool on the bike.

thanks. sweet lookin bikes and great review.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
cutthroat said:
Looks cool TA - is that an '07/'08 front triangle mated to an '06 rear end? (not counting the 5 Spot SS). If so, it's a virtual twin for my new baby - the 5.5s drop the BB alot, but you do lose that extra half inch of travel - Happy New Year!
Nah shes all 06 gear, front is the ano green ver, medium old sizing why she looks a little longer in the TT, won't have lost much travel with old rockers but will lose about half an inch with 5.5 rockers, which dosen't bother me, with a coil shock its not an issue for me, if I want to go bigger, I can handle what the RFX can dish out for a while in my state anyway!

When if I ever get back to that level I''ll just go straight to the DHR and not piss around:D
I loved dh DH bike, my only regret is not doing what CC did picking up an older DHR and starting of that way earlier, smart boy that CC:p

Happy New Year be cool Homies :cool:

Notice Maxxis wee tire, not a maxxis version but best I could do :p

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Serotta b1kr said:
This is a stupid question, but when you change out the RFX seat stays and rockers with those from a 5.5 spot, would that steepen the seat tube angle and make it more upright? If so, by about how much? Other than losing a little bit of travel, does change how the RFX handles?

Also, where do you get Turner chain stay protectors? They look cool on the bike.

thanks. sweet lookin bikes and great review.
Chur!

I'd need an angle finder, I'll pick one up next week sometime, but it looks to me the SA has been slackened some it feels like it too in the static seated position in my jandals [flops].

The seat stays look like they've steepened a little maybe because they're shorter!

From what Ive been told by others and Jarret at Turner to some not me directly it rails corners like its on rails pedals way better, gives up some small bump compliance which is to be expected, but with an Avy or CCDB or Push DHXc I don't see this as an issue! Depends on how ya want ya ride I guess!

I know people who went the 5pack way loved this setup, although they also went Spot spot chain stays I'd rather keep the wheel base and strength in that area, I like what its done so far, I need the 5.5 rockers as the seat tube [another reason I know its slacker, and another reason its good to use an air shock when modifying this stuff to test with] hits the seat stay bridge on full compression! 5.5 rockers should sort this out and give a nicer look function first form second :thumbsup:

The protector is years of refinement LOL its a tube cut and then wrapped very tightly but expertly if I do say so myself haha by yours to factory stds :D

I'm fickle or is that discerning for details :D

HNY [happy new years] :band:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the details, great stuff.

So, if on my RFX I wanted to lower the bb a little (improve cornering) and also steepen the seat tube angle a little (to make the bike a little more upright), what would I need to do?

Happy New Year!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Serotta b1kr said:
Thanks for the details, great stuff.

So, if on my RFX I wanted to lower the bb a little (improve cornering) and also steepen the seat tube angle a little (to make the bike a little more upright), what would I need to do?

Happy New Year!
Geez that's going the other way to most, I dunno, maybe look at a 150mm fork! Its the only way I can see you altering the SA!

What color RFX ya got there's some spanking deals on the ltd etd Z1s RC2eta @ t7 or something like maybe a Lyrik Uturn wound down not sure if that's the best way to do it,
Tscheezy might be best to ask that one, I'm not the expert on all the GEO specc's

Ya still might want to 5pack it out and put a Pike up front z1 as I say but really its only giving ya a real hardcore short travel rig, where all trying to get a SS rig with a 6 inch fork and not loose too much rear travel or wheelbase so we keep the DH feel to the bike!

Mini DH otherwise ya just have a small bike heavy bike!

But could be a go if that's what ya after, am I understanding ya right ?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I'm not sure it's possible to drop the BB height and simultaneously steepen the seat tube (without going for a shorter fork). The usual "fix" is to add shorter rockers - Spot 5.5s, 5.3s. or 5.1s - that gets you a slacker HT and ST angle and about half an inch or more of lower BB. Step two (or an alternative) is to add Spot seat stays or a whole Spot rear end - the combination of the two gets you the lowest and slackest and reduces your travel to around 5.5 to 6 inches. I decided I liked the higher BB (14.9") to avoid pedal strikes so I sold my 5.5s and put on the stock 6.4" '08 rockers. Coupled with a travel adjust fork for climbing it feels almost as sexy as the Sultan. I can't imagine all the fun the DWL guys will be missing when the new RFX appears..

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree cutty, the one drawback with the dwl bikes that I can see is the franken turner days whether needed or not is something Homies just like to do, its something we have to play with other wise we may end up having to conform to corporate consumerism and UGI every 2min and by std bling urgh the thought of it is disturbing :D

DT will have to come up with a DWL franken plan with tscheezy on how it can be manipulated, otherwise I may have to become a future e-bay whore and just buy old parts!:D

I still want to play in the dwl world though I like the thought of a dwl mtx to replace my Spot;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
thanks guys. I have a L 08 Sangria RFX I am building up. I wouldn't mind lowering the bb height a little, but I wouldn't want to slacken the SA. I have a pretty bad low back, so I like a slack HA and steep SA to keep the bike upright.

This was just something I was thinking about based upon the other thread discussing bb height. My current RMB Slayer has pretty good geo for me, 68 HA and 73 SA with a bb height of 14. The RFX is almost spot on, so I am thinking I will be pretty good.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I swapped back to my usual RFX wheels to re measure the BB height and its dropped the BB another part of an inch from 13.7" to 13.6" haha not much but that's enough for me I don;t want to go any lower

Sun MTX rims vs DT 5.1s from above!

Minion front Ardent rear so DH rims and Minion seem to give me a slightly lower CG and lower BB than the AM setup haha go figure!

Just wish I had an angle finder to measure the SA HA and SS accurately, now Im in the mood really love to do the bushing especially with those green ones they turn me on um LOL hope Turner do some more 5.5 rockers in the new year no rush but am enjoying tinkering around when I feel up to it!

good fun!

Maxxis thinks I'm nutz but he seems to enjoy plopping himself on the floor watching my strange goings on painfully slow, I used to be fast at this stuff, but no rush anyways, least I haven't lost anything like busing and stuff :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Serotta b1kr said:
thanks guys. I have a L 08 Sangria RFX I am building up. I wouldn't mind lowering the bb height a little, but I wouldn't want to slacken the SA. I have a pretty bad low back, so I like a slack HA and steep SA to keep the bike upright.

This was just something I was thinking about based upon the other thread discussing bb height. My current RMB Slayer has pretty good geo for me, 68 HA and 73 SA with a bb height of 14. The RFX is almost spot on, so I am thinking I will be pretty good.
I broke my lower back about 6years ago, no probs now except I broke my neck a year ago LOL,

anyways have you got the correct size I have no issues re SA or HA I now stem pos frame size is very important to me in FS!

What size stem are you running on your RFX imo allot of people tend to run too long a stem on long travel bikes you shouldn't suffer a sore back, I'm wide in the shoulders long in arms so I like wide bars shorts stems, so run a 50mm on my RFX never run anything else, Ive tried everything from 50 to 100mm on my Spot and bee comfortable with all depending on type of riding I'm doing!

But you could end up really making things worse if you try to get out of wack of the geo, need to stay balanced on and in the bike what ever you do, too over the front will put pressure else where which will translate onto your back through your hands arms shoulders back etc, and vice versa, Ive had a lot of experience with this from my back injury! Just saying bike setup is key, what you do on a 4inch rig does not translate to a 6inch rig, not saying you're doing this just using as an example the industry does this and its not good!

XC is not all things!

Always get someone else to look at your position on the bike to make sure it looks balanced or get better half to take a static side on pic of you on the bike in a relaxed ride pose!

Just a note the 08 RFX was based on a a2c fork of 535mm which = a 150mm fork like the Z1 not a 160mm like a Lyrik or 36 fork example! which is fine, lyrik 36 being the std, so that would do what you wanted I think a Z1 I mean! look into a shorter stem like a Thomson X4 70mm x 0 deg to start if you haven't got one already as a starter! :thumbsup:

I don't suffer sore back syndrome at all..Hopefully when get over the neck head issues I'll be lucky with the that too!;)

Happy Trails in 09!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Cuttroat Question?

cutthroat said:
Cutthroat,
If I understand correctly, you have an '08 front RFX tri and an older 6Pack/RFX rear and 5.5 Spot rockers!?!

I was thinking of finding an '08 RFX front tri and putting on my old HL spot rear with the 5.5 rockers and a 160mm adjustable fork. Any thoughts? I just want to confirm you can bolt up an old style rear to the new '08 front tris.

Can you post your current BB and HA with the 55 fork.

Thanks and happy new year.

TG

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.