Superdeluxe Ultimate Air
Lyrik 150mm
Race Face Turbine R Wheels
Race Face Turbine R Dropper
Race Face Turbine Crank
Race Face Next R Handlebar
Code Ultimate Brakes
GX Eagle

First time i rode it with the short Dropouts butbi changed to the large.
In technical uphills theres more grip on the rear tire and more space on muddy days

·
Registered
470 Posts
Speaking of tires, I just tried the new Specialized Eliminator t7/t9 out back for the mud and muck months and liked it allot. Great traction, nice damping, heavy as hell but worth it if it keeps me from sliding out on wet winter roots. Anyone try the Butcher up front with the Eliminator out back in this new t7 or t9 rubber?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Speaking of tires, I just tried the new Specialized Eliminator t7/t9 out back for the mud and muck months and liked it allot. Great traction, nice damping, heavy as hell but worth it if it keeps me from sliding out on wet winter roots. Anyone try the Butcher up front with the Eliminator out back in this new t7 or t9 rubber?
Idk about the t7/t9 rubber, but i tried the butcher/eliminator combo on the new stumpjumper evo, didnt really like them. Probably biased cause i really didnt like the bike

·
Registered
25 Posts
I weighed mine in a sort of rudimentary way (weigh myself, weigh myself holding the bike, subtract difference) and i got 35.5 lbs, XL frame, zeb, coil shock w/ light spring. Honestly dont care, this bike climbs too good and descends too good for the weight to matter.

I too live and ride in norcal, the WTB tires really blow the maxxis stuff out of the water in my opinion, definitely a little heavier when comparing the standard casings, but the vigilante has less weight and more grip than the assegai in maxxgrip DH. The judge is good but very heavy for a rear tire, trailboss has similar grip but i trust the judge casing more for downieville type stuff. here’s my bike as of now, probably done with upgrades for a while.

View attachment 1910860
What are those bars your running? The rise on those look pretty amazing

·
Registered
85 Posts
What’s the consensus on short vs long dropouts? I chose the short because the chain stats are already on the long side of modern geometry...

Anyone know what brand headset comes stock? I have a little fore/aft play between the headset and the steerer and can’t seem to get rid of 100% of it by tightening the preload cap. I have a leftover piece from the headset install that looks like a crown race for a straight 1-1/8 steerer... is that supposed to be installed on the topside somewhere?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any more ride reviews?

Would love to hear more comparisons between V3 prime and GG Smash.

Would also be curious if anyone went Banshee after riding short chain stay (such as a Canfield Riot). Lose much of that playful feeling?

How’s the BB height in low setting? Pedal strikes?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
What’s the consensus on short vs long dropouts? I chose the short because the chain stats are already on the long side of modern geometry...

Anyone know what brand headset comes stock? I have a little fore/aft play between the headset and the steerer and can’t seem to get rid of 100% of it by tightening the preload cap. I have a leftover piece from the headset install that looks like a crown race for a straight 1-1/8 steerer... is that supposed to be installed on the topside somewhere?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That leftover piece should go in between the top bearing and the topcap. It to keep the headset from having fore/aft play. While some headsets have these integrated in the topcap, others have them separate. See the below diagram.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Prime is almost a year old and it's definitely a keeper. Recently switched to a Bomber CR shock and wishing I got it sooner. Coil is awesome so far and I can't believe how well it climbs even without a climb switch. I never liked the DPX2 on the fast square edge hits and the Bomber fixes that complaint. Great all around bike that checks all the boxes for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry for the copy / paste of my previous post- was just trying to quote and bump: but isn’t working on my phone:

Any updated ride reviews?

Would also be curious if anyone went Banshee after riding short chain stay (such as a Canfield Riot). Lose much of that playful feeling?

I’m down to waiting for the revised GG Smash or going with a Prime- both good options, just curious how they compare.
Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sorry for the copy / paste of my previous post- was just trying to quote and bump: but isn’t working on my phone:

I’m down to waiting for the revised GG Smash or going with a Prime- both good options, just curious how they compare.
Thanks!
You have good taste. FWIW I heavily researched both Canfield and GG before buying my Banshee Prime. Sadly could only do one short demo on a GG with the pandemic.

On GG vs Banshee for me It came down to:

VS2 > same old Horst Link
7005 T6 > Carbon
Plus I didn’t like the weird chain line on GG. Maybe the remake addresses that? Only one short ride so I can’t really offer much more then that.

Canfield at the time only offered the Balance and I wanted 29. The Tilt and Lithium look good, though I continue to love the Prime. It never feels too long to be playful IMO, and it’s so damn stable at eye watering speeds. No regrets

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks!

I rode my revved GG Smash for about a year before grabbing the Prime v3. Just to keep it short, the Smash is definitely more playful. It feels like it has a bit more antisquat than the Prime and is not as plush feeling. Even with less travel the Prime feels more bottomless and the small bump compliance is better. I guess that's a testament to VS2. Prime feels more stable but not as flickable. Prime looks cooler and definitely gets more looks on the trail if that's your thing.

Honestly I'd probably still be in the GG ecosystem if it wasn't for a couple nagging issues they hopefully resolve in round 2. The reversible headset cups were always giving me grief. I'd have to clean them out otherwise they would start creaking every 2 rides. The wheel offset situation is kind of a drag for someone who has multiple bikes and likes the option to swap wheels around. The cable routing is not my favorite either but not a deal breaker IMO.

Downsides to the Prime for me are the rear drop outs. Even with proper torque and blue loctite the two dropout bolts on the brake side will find a way to loosen up every 5 rides or so. I have a theory this has something to do with how the rear brake caliper is mounted. Its almost on a lever-like perch several inches above the point of contact with the frame. I definitely feel more rear brake reverberation on this bike than any other I've had. This doesn't seem to be a wide spread complaint as I've only seen 1 or 2 others talk about it.

Saying all that, I'm actually on a MY21 stumpy evo now giving that a shot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the responses fellas. That's some good feedback.

I wish GG would give a little more hints as to the timing of the new Smash rollout and / or geo changes.

Nice to hear some of the issues you've had with the bikes also. I didn't realize folks had issues with the GG headset cups - makes sense though since its another place for dust and grit to get into. Don't think I mind too much on the chain line as I'm pretty much a one bike guy. Funny what you said about the GG cable routing. Haven't used it myself - but I like the idea of it.

Honestly I was disappointed Canfield went to internal on the new bikes. The old cable routing made perfect sense to me, down the down tube, under the shock. Its not like that real estate is being used for anything else - since there aren't any water bottle bosses. As someone who works on my stuff I liked that everything was easily accessible.

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is anyone running a 51mm offset fork? Any handling issues if so? Planning to put a Helm on the front, but can only get hold of the longer version....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is anyone running a 51mm offset fork? Any handling issues if so? Planning to put a Helm on the front, but can only get hold of the longer version....
kinda late on this but i went from 51 offset to 42( i think?). Not a night and day difference, they handle fairly similarly, apart from one being a zeb and the other being a 36.
I think the shorter offset has the advantage in very steep terrain with tight turns, but thats not really what you buy a prime for haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
Beta MTB review is up. Don't really agree with it, but its out there if you're on the fence.

Wow- that was a brutal review.

Would you please elaborate on what you disagree with? - As I’m on the fence and considering a Prime.

Interesting thing is- the review of the Offering pretty much described my perfect bike- just don’t want to pay that much for a frame, and not crazy about the complexity of all the linkages driving the suspension.

Coming off a Canfield Riot for reference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Would you please elaborate on what you disagree with? - As I’m on the fence and considering a Prime.

Interesting thing is- the review of the Offering pretty much described my perfect bike- just don’t want to pay that much for a frame, and not crazy about the complexity of all the linkages driving the suspension.

Thanks!

I am trying to decide between these two bikes as well so did some more research after the review on Beta.
Built up an Offering in Fanatiks website to see the weight difference they keep going on about. With shock the evil frame is 7.4 or 7.5 lbs. they don’t offer the dpx 2 on the site for the offering so I used a monarch which is lighter than the dpx2. The prime is 8.2 lbs. by the time the bike is built up you’re looking at a 33 lb v 34 lb bike. Negligible. The other complaint they seem to have is the chain stay length, that’s seems more of a personal preference / riding style question.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Thanks!
It seems clear the crew at Beta had trouble setting up the shock, and didn’t bother contacting Banshee for advice. Something I, and hundreds of others do routinely. In fact rider support is incredible at Banshee. Email a question and Keith himself will often respond with a detailed answer or advice.

The fact that they claim the travel felt “less then” 135 is a clear indication that they ran too much sag and as a result were sitting too deep in the travel. I promise you it definitely does not feel like less then 135. Mine has a 160mm fork and the back end keeps up no problem. i found running the Prime at 28% with a smaller spacer is key.

As for weight, I never feel it. Not sure what the build was, but the Prime is in line with all other “All Mountain” aluminum rigs. If weight is important to you buy lighter wheels with the 1k you save by buying a Banshee instead of a carbon frame.

finally there’s a learning curve to pulling manuals on the longer chain stays, but other then that I see no downsides. The stability at speed is confidence inspiring and confidence is key to bigger moves, and higher speeds.

·
Registered
637 Posts
To echo what you guys are saying, the geometry of the prime is what makes it so good. 1 pound of frame weight doesnt make something suddenly bad. the offering’s slack actual seat tube angle, on the other hand....

The dpx2 is a little finicky to set up, and i found with the stock volume spacer installed it did feel like not a ton of travel. Take the spacer out, and take time to set up the shock and the bike rewards you. Im guessing in a round table situation like Beta tests, they dont take the time to do that, which i understand. Not fair to the bike really but whatever.

Just to make it so that the selling point is “its not a yeti or evil” is pretty lame, as the prime will outgun both of those bikes imo. One pound of weight in a 33-34-35 lb all mountain bike is not going to make or break. Geometry will though, and thats what sets the banshee apart, but they hardly mentioned it.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts