Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Yeah that may do it. What size frame? How much does your Evil weigh?
My medium Following is 27.5lbs according to my eBay luggage scale...and my Spitfire V2 is ~31lbs.

Oh nice! Link to that? Not seeing it. My thought with deore with slx cranks and xt shifter was kind of from the pink bike review bit it also seems to make the most sense. I definitely want the xt shifter but if I can get a lighter cassette and not spend much more that would be great. I doubt I'll tell much difference with the deraileur tbh.
I think its an extra $43 for the XT cassette.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A good deal on a lg gx build revel rascal has come up. Has anyone ridden both a prime and a rascal that could compare the two? When I saw the rascal I got very excited but I have a few major reservations after deep digging

1) slack actual sta - wouldn't bother me normally but I have very long legs which means my I'm personal effective seat angle I'm sure is less than 75.
2) rockshox select suspension is probably not as good as what I can afford on my Banshee build (dpx2 performance elite and manitou mezzer). I also have only had rs on my personal bikes even though I prefer fox.
3) it's carbon, but only weighs .6lbs less than the prime in frame+shock form. I've also heard the rear is flexy and have heard no one say any banshee is flexy.
4) people have mentioned creaking issues but they do seem easily resolved.
5) I've seen a few people in revel threads say they didn't get along with it after a few months of ownership, but have seen almost no one say that of a prime. Sample size is likely different though and I do think the worldwide cyclery hype machine may mean there's more people that buy it as their first fancy full sus than the banshee which seems like most of you guys have been riding for a while and already knew what you wanted and liked.

That being said my overall impression is that if I was a reasonable person making reasonable decisions, the rascal would get along with my local trails a little better and probably feel more peppy and sporty. I can't say I'm good or actually fast but I do really like plowing down the trail as fast as I can and love the idea of a centralized body position for cornering so the banshee is appealing in the sense. My trails just aren't like that. So I feel like the banshee suits my personal preferences almost perfectly and the rascal may not, but it might actually be more fun to ride on the trails I'm on most of the time. I also get the impression the prime is way more capable of being taken to a bike park or doing a little traveling as I was considering making a drive down to nc this summer to check out Pisgah or something.

My last option is to play the long game. Get a carbon fun bike now and then save up and get a titan next year. I'm too impulsive to want to wait though and the Titan will probably be too much bike in a year as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts

If anyone is interested, I just took this off my Large Prime V3 frame that I’ll be selling. Absolutely changed my bike. Honestly, thought I’d do better selling it separate. Has less than 500 miles on the shock and sells new for $800. 450-550 LB Progressive Spring included.... asking $400, shipping included.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
1x1 Pilot's frame is coming to my house, I am joining the Banshee club after nearly 20 years on Turner's. Time to go to wagon wheels. Super nice guy and I would have bought the shock but am an air guy and will try the stock Fox first.

·
Registered
637 Posts
1x1 Pilot's frame is coming to my house, I am joining the Banshee club after nearly 20 years on Turner's. Time to go to wagon wheels. Super nice guy and I would have bought the shock but am an air guy and will try the stock Fox first.
I think you'll eventually want to grab that coil shock too. The fox is decent but coil takes the prime above and beyond.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
I think you'll eventually want to grab that coil shock too. The fox is decent but coil takes the prime above and beyond.
The problem is that I can’t self service the cane creek, while I can with DVO and Manitou shocks. When you have 5 fs bikes and 2 hardtails, servicing costs add up fast (my son rides also).

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Some info on tire clearance. When looking through this thread and the one on the Titan, I saw some concerns over tire clearance (someone said a Michelin Wild Enduro was rubbing). This gave me a little pause, as I like big tires. The first thing I did when I got my frame was throw the wheel from the Ibis DV9 (35mm internal) with a Nobby Nic 2.6 on it to see if it cleared. The Nobby Nic comes up at 64.82mm (or 2.56" Merican) on this rim. There is plenty of clearance on the sides, no concern with rubbing from flex. Vertical clearance is more limited at about 7mm, which is identical to the Ibis DV9 where they are the standard tire (last photo is on the DV9 for comparison). Keep in mind this is with the standard "short" dropouts. The long dropouts would add 10mm of vertical clearance.

Now the hard decision, Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic 2.6, Vittoria Martello/Agarro 2.6, or WTB Vigilante 2.5/Trail Boss 2.4 combo and 30mm or 35mm internal rims. Trying to find that balance between traction and rolling resistance and don't like tires without transition knobs as I lean over rather than throw the bike over.

Reactions: D Bone

·
Registered
637 Posts
im running a 2.4 trailboss on the rear of mine, had a 2.4 judge on there for a while but put a whole near the bead. No clearance issues with either, but i think im a bigger fan of the trail boss for most applications, although the judge is great in real dh

·
Registered
316 Posts
Weighed mine, in about the lightest configuration I would run. 34 lbs. Could maybe shave 2 lbs with a different fork and drivetrain. But 30 lbs is gonna be a stretch.

Z1 coil - she's a pig but so buttery
DPX2
Carbon wheels and bars
XT drivetrain and pedals
DHF/Rekon race EXO

With a coil and real tires, add 2 lbs. It doesn't slow me down.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
My frame weighed a bit more than expected. It is 9 pounds 4 oz, this is with the entire headset, ISGC bracket, shock and rear axle. By contrast my Turner Burner with shock, axle and headset is 8 pounds 6 oz. Not the end of the world, as it gives me confidence that it won't break and if I was really worried about that last bit of weight, I would have bought an Ibis Ripmo V2 in Carbon. I expect the full build will be 33 pounds or so, which really isn't bad, my son's HD4 with a similar build is 31.5 pounds. I have gotten over the weight thing, I would rather have an extra 2-3 pounds and be able to push a bike as hard as I want without worrying. Heck, the Ibis DV9 is 28 pounds ready to go and my steel hardtail is probably 30.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
im running a 2.4 trailboss on the rear of mine, had a 2.4 judge on there for a while but put a whole near the bead. No clearance issues with either, but i think im a bigger fan of the trail boss for most applications, although the judge is great in real dh
I have really liked the Vigilante/TB combo here in Northern California for years. The older Hans Dampf didn't have enough bite and would tear knobs, the DHF wants to be ridden like you stole it, the WTB combo rolls decently, take a beating, but is a bit heavy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I weighed mine in a sort of rudimentary way (weigh myself, weigh myself holding the bike, subtract difference) and i got 35.5 lbs, XL frame, zeb, coil shock w/ light spring. Honestly dont care, this bike climbs too good and descends too good for the weight to matter.

I too live and ride in norcal, the WTB tires really blow the maxxis stuff out of the water in my opinion, definitely a little heavier when comparing the standard casings, but the vigilante has less weight and more grip than the assegai in maxxgrip DH. The judge is good but very heavy for a rear tire, trailboss has similar grip but i trust the judge casing more for downieville type stuff. here’s my bike as of now, probably done with upgrades for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
That Keep Tobais Blue sticker is at least a pound. Just remember when you need parts: "There is always money in the banana stand." :)

I have the Vigilante/Trail Boss combo in the cart right now. Now I am having trouble deciding, silver or black spokes, and red or black nipples. Difficult life choices.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts