Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I'm really thinking about selling my Evil Following V1 and Spitfire V2...and have just the Prime as my only bike. I'd have two sets of wheels. One narrow set with 2.35 and one wider set for 2.6's when shuttling and going to the bike park.

I actually thought about the Phantom too as my only bike...but I'm not sure about the travel vs the Prime.

Most of my riding is done on my Following. The Spitfire only sees action on shuttle and park days.

The raw finish just looks so amazing.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm really thinking about selling my Evil Following V1 and Spitfire V2...and have just the Prime as my only bike. I'd have two sets of wheels. One narrow set with 2.35 and one wider set for 2.6's when shuttling and going to the bike park.

I actually thought about the Phantom too as my only bike...but I'm not sure about the travel vs the Prime.

Most of my riding is done on my Following. The Spitfire only sees action on shuttle and park days.

The raw finish just looks so amazing.

Any thoughts?
My favorite of the three Banshee 29ers is the Prime. It's fast, capable, and fun. When gravity takes over the Titan is impossible to beat, but the Prime isn't far behind, plus it pedals better then the Titan IMO.
I still lust for the Titan, but I'll never sell my Prime. I owned a Phantom. Great bike, but not something I'd take to a park personally.

I think a Prime with two wheels could be a great solution. Bonus points if you could swing a coil shock for Park days, and air for the flow.

I wrote a lengthy comparison. It's somewhere on this thread.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Id say the prime makes a great all around bike. Climbs very nicely (the ripmo comparison is definitely on point). Still pretty fun on more meandering terrain (not very easy to manual but jumps easily), but feels like an absolute rocket ship on more gnarly stuff. I'm sure there are other variables involved but since i bought the prime, ive made it into the top 10 on quite a few strava segments, taking entire minutes off of a few of the longer trails. one trail in particular i went from a time of 1:40 on my wreckoning to 1:05 on the prime. It really makes me wonder what a titan could do.

Also, has anyone gone from a 51mm offset fork to a 44/42mm offset fork on the prime? I had to pay for some other stuff at the time and had to keep using my old fox 36 fit4 when i built up the prime but I'm thinking about putting a Zeb at 150mm on there soon, as i like the idea of the fork sitting higher in its travel while remaining plush. Wondering how the offset change will feel.

·
Registered
Banshee Prime V3
2 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I have been riding a Prime V3 XL since summer, and it has been great. I'm 6'3 275lbs, so larger than average, and this bike has held up to everything I have thrown at it. It climbs well, and descends with confidence over chunky terrain here in Utah. The frame is built well, and I haven't encountered any flexing while riding. I have been on other bikes where the frames have felt "cheap", which shouldn't be the case from their price tags, but this thing is solid. The rear suspension system is legit, and props to the crew at Suspension Syndicate here in Salt Lake for helping with everything suspension related.

I have it set up more enduro style, but that is mainly due to my size. I was considering the Titan, but there are some steep mountain climbs here in UT, and the Prime has tackled it all very confidently. It was a chore to find parts back in July due to shortages, but it was worth the wait.

Parts List:
Prime V3 - XL Black Ano
RS Zeb Ultimate - 160mm/44mm Offset
DPX2 rear shock - Stock with frame - (2021 upgrade to EXT Storia)
Sram Code RSC brakes - Front/Rear
Sram centerline 200mm rotors - Front/Rear
Shimano XT - Chain, 12-Speed Cassette, Derailleur
Shimano XTR Shifter
FOX Transfer Dropper Post - 175mm
Wolf Tooth - Dropper post lever
I9 Hydra Enduro 305's - 29" Boost
Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai DH 3C MaxxGrip 29x2.5
Rear Tire - Maxxis Dissector DH 3C MaxxGrip 29x2.4
Cane Creek Hellbender 70 BB
Absolute Black 30T Oval Chainring
Absolute Black Bash guard/guide
RaceFace Atlas cranks - 175mm - (The plastic preloader is junk on this! Screwing metal into plastic is a bad idea RaceFace)
Cane Creek - Metal Preloader with larger metal screw - (A much needed upgrade over the stock junk that came with the crankset)
PNW Loam Grips
Handlebar - Deity Speedway 35 Carbon Riser - 810mm width
Stem - Deity Copperhead 35mm/35mm

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I have been riding a Prime V3 XL since summer, and it has been great. I'm 6'3 275lbs, so larger than average, and this bike has held up to everything I have thrown at it. It climbs well, and descends with confidence over chunky terrain here in Utah. The frame is built well, and I haven't encountered any flexing while riding. I have been on other bikes where the frames have felt "cheap", which shouldn't be the case from their price tags, but this thing is solid. The rear suspension system is legit, and props to the crew at Suspension Syndicate here in Salt Lake for helping with everything suspension related.

I have it set up more enduro style, but that is mainly due to my size. I was considering the Titan, but there are some steep mountain climbs here in UT, and the Prime has tackled it all very confidently. It was a chore to find parts back in July due to shortages, but it was worth the wait.

Parts List:
Prime V3 - XL Black Ano
RS Zeb Ultimate - 160mm/44mm Offset
DPX2 rear shock - Stock with frame - (2021 upgrade to EXT Storia)
Sram Code RSC brakes - Front/Rear
Sram centerline 200mm rotors - Front/Rear
Shimano XT - Chain, 12-Speed Cassette, Derailleur
Shimano XTR Shifter
FOX Transfer Dropper Post - 175mm
Wolf Tooth - Dropper post lever
I9 Hydra Enduro 305's - 29" Boost
Front Tire - Maxxis Assegai DH 3C MaxxGrip 29x2.5
Rear Tire - Maxxis Dissector DH 3C MaxxGrip 29x2.4
Cane Creek Hellbender 70 BB
Absolute Black 30T Oval Chainring
Absolute Black Bash guard/guide
RaceFace Atlas cranks - 175mm - (The plastic preloader is junk on this! Screwing metal into plastic is a bad idea RaceFace)
Cane Creek - Metal Preloader with larger metal screw - (A much needed upgrade over the stock junk that came with the crankset)
PNW Loam Grips
Handlebar - Deity Speedway 35 Carbon Riser - 810mm width
Stem - Deity Copperhead 35mm/35mm
Any thought on the 160mm fork vs 150mm or 140mm?

I have a Prime showing up in the next couple of days and I have a 170mm 36 and a 150mm air shaft to install to drop it down. I ordered the 150mm shaft because it was center of the range Banshee spec’d....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just went to 160 from 150 on my Prime and love it. Made it a little easier to get over the front end and attack the corners. Didn’t hurt my climbing position at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been reading a lot of you have removed the large volume spacer from the dpx2 shock, has anyone on been testing other volume spacers?

I'm waiting on my spacer kit to turn up, but I'm guessing the 0.2 might be the sweet spot, I'm finding no spacers bottoms too easily.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've been reading a lot of you have removed the large volume spacer from the dpx2 shock, has anyone on been testing other volume spacers?

I'm waiting on my spacer kit to turn up, but I'm guessing the 0.2 might be the sweet spot, I'm finding no spacers bottoms too easily.
I think it depends on your weight, psi, and desired sag. I’m currently running a .6 spacer and it works well. Great mid stroke support. May try no spacers next.
Email Keith with your weight, desired suspension characteristics, and sag and he may offer an expert opinion.

·
Registered
Banshee Prime V3
2 Posts

I'm currently running the largest volume spacer, but I'm also 275lb...

Regarding 160 vs 150 vs 140, I felt that 160 was the correct setup for me due to my size. The ZEB has been an awesome fork.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Arrrrg ok thanks for the comments. I had the 160 shaft for a different frame/build and returned it for the 150 when I switched my order to a Prime... I guess I’ll just run the 150. Only $40 to buy a new shaft if i feel the need...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
What do some of your builds weigh? Just curious what some complete bikes weigh around. I'm not a weighr weenie or under any illusion I might get or want an aluminum bike to be really light, but just curious what numbers folks have arrived at on different builds. When I was first setting out to get a bike for summer 21 the ripmo af was on my sights but the common 35-37lb complete weight did seem excessive even for someone who doesn't often care about weight and often glosses over it when buying parts etc.

At this point I'm more or less settled on the prime though. May be a bit before it's totally built but looking forward to posting it here when it is. Already have a list of all the parts but who knows with how stock is going.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What do some of your builds weigh? Just curious what some complete bikes weigh around. I'm not a weighr weenie or under any illusion I might get or want an aluminum bike to be really light, but just curious what numbers folks have arrived at on different builds. When I was first setting out to get a bike for summer 21 the ripmo af was on my sights but the common 35-37lb complete weight did seem excessive even for someone who doesn't often care about weight and often glosses over it when buying parts etc.

At this point I'm more or less settled on the prime though. May be a bit before it's totally built but looking forward to posting it here when it is. Already have a list of all the parts but who knows with how stock is going.
34 pounds with a 36 and beefy wheels/tires

·
Registered
37 Posts
What are people putting on their Ripmos making them 35-37lbs? Are they AFs with a coil shock?
The base deore model and a coil shock. It comes stock with dual assegais. Those, a coil, and the onyx now coming stock makes a pretty heavy bike. Frame itself I think is heavier than the prime but not by a ton. Without the coil shock, it's still in the 34+lb range.

I actually just did math out and I'm pretty sure if I'm not missing anything out, my potential prime build would be 31.3lbs. I don't expect that to be totally accurate and it doesn't take into account small stuff like sealant etc, but I'd be totally happy with a 32ish lb alu bike with this kind of intention. Hell, I ride a steel hardtail with cushcore which is right up at 34 lbs. I'm definitely the kind of person to choose durability and function over weight, but I figured it would be worth considering weight for a build I'm putting a lot of money into and will be doing a lot of climbing. I do have another bike, but this will definitely be an "every kind of trail bike". I'm 100% a believer that functional parts and good geometry is more important than weight though.

My Prime build I hope will be something like
Mezzer fork
Stock dpx2
Deore 12s with slx cranks and xt shifter
i9 enduro s 1/1 wheels
maybe mazzas?
Zee brakes with XT rotors (from previous bike)

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
The base deore model and a coil shock. It comes stock with dual assegais. Those, a coil, and the onyx now coming stock makes a pretty heavy bike. Frame itself I think is heavier than the prime but not by a ton. Without the coil shock, it's still in the 34+lb range.

I actually just did math out and I'm pretty sure if I'm not missing anything out, my potential prime build would be 31.3lbs. I don't expect that to be totally accurate and it doesn't take into account small stuff like sealant etc, but I'd be totally happy with a 32ish lb alu bike with this kind of intention. Hell, I ride a steel hardtail with cushcore which is right up at 34 lbs. I'm definitely the kind of person to choose durability and function over weight, but I figured it would be worth considering weight for a build I'm putting a lot of money into and will be doing a lot of climbing. I do have another bike, but this will definitely be an "every kind of trail bike". I'm 100% a believer that functional parts and good geometry is more important than weight though.

Mezzer fork
Stock dpx2
i9 enduro s 1/1 wheels
maybe mazzas?
I think the people building the 37lb bikes are more concerned about going downhill than up. They are willing to schlep a heavy bike up the hill for the downs. I know guys with that mindset. I'm 150lbs all geared up and there is no way I want a 37lb bike with some heavy tires as my only bike.

I have a Spitfire V2 right now with 2.6 tires and it weighs in at slightly over 30lbs.

I'm thinking of having a Prime as my only bike...30-ish is what I would aim for.

If you're going to go Deore...you might as well just go SLX and save a bit of weight. Colorado Cyclist has a partial SLX group without the cranks for $200...and extra 55 for the XT cassette.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Mezzer fork
Stock dpx2
i9 enduro s 1/1 wheels
maybe mazzas?
I started with an slx cassette
I think the people building the 37lb bikes are more concerned about going downhill than up. They are willing to schlep a heavy bike up the hill for the downs. I know guys with that mindset. I'm 150lbs all geared up and there is no way I want a 37lb bike with some heavy tires as my only bike.

I have a Spitfire V2 right now with 2.6 tires and it weighs in at slightly over 30lbs.

I'm thinking of having a Prime as my only bike...30-ish is what I would aim for.

If you're going to go Deore...you might as well just go SLX and save a bit of weight. Colorado Cyclist has a partial SLX group without the cranks for $200...and extra 55 for the XT cassette.
that our people who want a good frame, but can only afford budget wheels, fork, and parts.

I’m on a large Prime with a decent mix of high end parts, but i build my bikes burly so they won’t fail on the trail. Even so I can’t see ever getting a large Prime to 30 pounds without light carbon wheels and a spindly little fork.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I'm only 142lbs in my birthday suit...no need to over build a bike. I'd just move the DVO Diamond and X01 Eagle parts over from my Evil Following. I already have some carbon wheels for the 2.35 tires I'd normally use. I'd build another set of aluminum wheels to take some 2.6's for when I go on shuttle trips and to the bike park.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm only 142lbs in my birthday suit...no need to over build a bike. I'd just move the DVO Diamond and X01 parts over from my Evil Following. I already have some carbon wheels for the 2.35 tires I'd normally use. I'd build another set of aluminum wheels to take some 2.6's for when I go on shuttle trips and to the bike park.
Yeah that may do it. What size frame? How much does your Evil weigh?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh nice! Link to that? Not seeing it. My thought with deore with slx cranks and xt shifter was kind of from the pink bike review bit it also seems to make the most sense. I definitely want the xt shifter but if I can get a lighter cassette and not spend much more that would be great. I doubt I'll tell much difference with the deraileur tbh.

101 - 120 of 169 Posts