Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I got the second to last piece on my bike today, a 2007 Fox 36 Van RC2. I'm moving up from a Psylo Race that was a decent fork once upon a time but doesn't hold a candle to this fork. It made a major difference in the way the bike rides and the rear suspension seems a lot more active with the slightly more upright position despite the sag being the same. I fell in love with the bike all over again. Between the fork and the new wheels with Hope Pro 2 hubs DT 14/15 spokes and DT EX 5.1 rims the bike gained 40 mm of travel and lost half a pound...Awesome...I'll clean it up and take some pics saturday!

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it rides better this way too. '07 indeed...I work in a shop so I can/have to order direct from fox and I can't talk about what I paid for it. Comparing the options between R and RC2 to the retail price difference I can't see why anyone wouldn't save just a little bit longer and get the RC2. My buddy with the camera said tomorrow works so I should have some pics up tomorrow.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am, 6'2 with a ~35" inseam. I looked long and hard at that DUC32 but wanted to stick with the single crown. How Do you like the Maverick? I've been told it doesn't have any significan effect on how far you can turn the bars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OnTheMoment said:
I am, 6'2 with a ~35" inseam. I looked long and hard at that DUC32 but wanted to stick with the single crown. How Do you like the Maverick? I've been told it doesn't have any significan effect on how far you can turn the bars.
No problem at all with the reduced steering lock. Because the fork legs are offset forward at the crowns, you can still turn the bars close to 90 degrees. It's never been an issue on the trail.

I have had some trouble with the seals, and leaky air springs, but Maverick and/or my LBS have taken care of me. The overall performance is much better than my previous Float TALAS, but I'd prefer to have something that's lower maintenance/more reliable. I haven't done anything with custom valving, yet, but plan to soon. The a-c seems a pretty good match for the Moment, so if I get something else, I'll try and keep it fairly short.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By custom valving do you mean the custom shim stack reccomendations on the Maverick site? I talked to a guy from an LBS with a DUC on his MotoLite, he said that made a huge difference. What is the AtoC?

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only significant difference is a new hydraulic bottom out damper, it also gets a different arch and a supposedly improved through axle. Get the dl on all the new fox stuff here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1950

RC2 refers to the adjustable rebound, high speed and low speed compression damping. The fork is also available in an "R" model with only rebound damping adjustment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OnTheMoment said:
By custom valving do you mean the custom shim stack reccomendations on the Maverick site? I talked to a guy from an LBS with a DUC on his MotoLite, he said that made a huge difference. What is the AtoC?
Yeah, I've been looking at the Maverick Tuning Chart, and also seen some other recommendations (I think MK_ had some good posts). I'm about 205 with gear and fairly aggressive, so I'm looking at settings down near the bottom of the chart. In addition to the damper settings, increasing the air spring oil volume will make it more progressive, and a stiffer negative spring is supposed to improve top-of-stroke compliance at higher air pressures.

The a-c is the axle-to-crown measurement. That and the static sag determines the ride height, which affects your head and seat angles, front-to-rear weight distribution, etc.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
slackdaddy said:
The a-c is the axle-to-crown measurement. That and the static sag determines the ride height, which affects your head and seat angles, front-to-rear weight distribution, etc.
lol I should have been more specific, I know where the measurement is taken and what it effects, what is the actual numerical value for your Maverick?

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
The a to c is 19.25". Measured from the CL of the axel to the bottom of the lower crown.

PUSH will redo the fork but I hear that you lose the climbing mode.

I used the Heavy aggressive settings and I feel that the begining of the travel is too harsh. I plan on using some lighter settings for the damper cartrige and keep the setting I have for the air the same. If you are heavy on the front wheel then the heavy settings are fine.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This fork measures just about 21.5 a to c. I haven't measured the head angle but I am certain that for my riding style it handles better like this. I am not very heavy on the front wheel, I think that's a result of learning to ride on an all rigid bike.

How often do you guys actually use the climbing mode? My psylo had the U turn adjuster but that took something like 12 full turns of the knob to change from 125 to 80mm and it could not be extended while weighted so I only used it a handfull fo times.

Brian, for crying out loud post something or I'll take some pot shots at that expensive bike of yours. As for light on the bike and daylight between the ground and the tires maybe after you get fixed up if you've got a camera we could arrange something.

·
Registered
220 Posts
OnTheMoment said:
Brian, for crying out loud post something or I'll take some pot shots at that expensive bike of yours. As for light on the bike and daylight between the ground and the tires maybe after you get fixed up if you've got a camera we could arrange something.
Clearly the shots should be taken at the rider, not the bike. ;) Looking forward to seeing this out on the trails--give me a couple more weeks to heal up, and then we can be northward bound.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Was that so hard?

I got that damned front derailleur working smooth. A lot of the x60 shimano front doohickies are formed in such a way that when shifting toward the big ring they also push the chain down preventing the shift. a nasty effect that seems compounded by the relatively flexy 760 chainrings. Maybe I'll put the FSA on again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.