Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually prefer a brake with less power ? I have been using an 8 / 6 Hayes Mechanical HMX 1 brakeset for DH & trail use. Brake power is low but I never have to worry about an otb experience. Any input ?

·
I like air!
915 Posts
keen said:
Does anyone actually prefer a brake with less power ? I have been using an 8 / 6 Hayes Mechanical HMX 1 brakeset for DH & trail use. Brake power is low but I never have to worry about an otb experience. Any input ?
Well my brakes could flip me over my bars in a heart beat, but I have never gone otb from grabbing too much brakes. Its pretty easy to control but nice to have when you need it.

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Almost never too much.

keen said:
I think the only negative issue that can arise is when a brake setup offers little to no modulation. Otherwise the ability to lock up the wheels without hydraulic vise grips attached to your brake levers is all that's required. I think one area where you'll notice strong braking force is the reduced arm pump you can get if you don't have to squeeze your weak brakes with significant force. I can recall the not too distant days of v-brakes on some relatively long rides involving lots of speed and downhill. I get nothing like the type of hand and arm pump that those brakes provided with modern discs...especially 8" Hayes. I even installed Goodridge brake lines which provided just a little more power.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
the stronger the better..........but i just use my well blead Hayes Mags...good enough for me

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Strong = good. Your hands start to hurt REAL bad if you're death gripping the brake levers. My Juicy 7's work great, aside from the terrifying noises that emenate from the calipers when I'm under slow, heavy braking. It sounds like I'm brutally murdering a turkey every time I have to creep over something on a steep ass section of trail.

·
Absurd
919 Posts
keen said:
No. Not at all. :D It sounds like what you are after is better modulation, not less power. From what I hear some of the newer cable actuated systems are pretty tuneable, but you just wont get the modulation out of one of them that you will get out of a hydro set up. The better the modulation, the less "all the way on or all the way off " you will have.

·
SpitFire Pilot
172 Posts
More power is more gooder. And good modulation is gooder still. I'd love to have either. :D I do, however, love the feeling of the brakes doing their job. (I like my g-forces, I guess)

-PB

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
more power is better to me. i cant wait till ahyes is done fixing my mags should be back by end of this week or next monday.

TNC- do goodridge brake lines really improve brakign that much?

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
austinb89 said:
supposely they do....the line doesn't "give" under pressure

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Since I installed mine...

austinb89 said:
more power is better to me. i cant wait till ahyes is done fixing my mags should be back by end of this week or next monday.

Two other guys at the shop got some for their bikes because they could notice the subtle difference. It's not a night/day deal, but it is noticeable...especially on the rear brake, probably because of the lengthy hose run. They are pricey, and I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't provide some improvement.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
TNC said:
. They are pricey, and I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't provide some improvement.
so are you recommending them???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts