Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Sweet, tasty, thanks for sharing.

Lessee... Bright orange paint: check. Nicely sloped top tube: check Bolt-on head badge for easy sponsorship changes: check Proportional appearance of a DJ bike: check EBB: check

...well, I'd say this is an ideal replacement Speedhub rack if the Buzz ever gives up the ghost. Did I interpret correctly that these guys are sharing Ultimate's booth at Sea Otter?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Smooth Welds

The orange (Tang) bike is a prototype. The smooth welds are a bondo type plastic put over the welds to cover them over. We are not going with this option. While it has a nice appearance, down the line there may be a chance the plastic will separate from the weld and lend an appearance of a broken weld. Also the welds on the frame are fantastic looking and should not be covered up! If you look at the Godzilla Green bike you will see the welds.

Chris

Niner Bikes

P.S. Thank you to Leslie for having the faith in us

to race our bike. I know how hard you must have trained

for this race! Padre, thanks for all your help with the final

bike set up! See you at Otter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wonder who is doing the welding for these guys: looks like nice work. The scandium must provide a bit of plush in the ride too. Padre? Anyway, good luck to you Chris. Sell a bunch.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Chris, PMed you

[come on down.QUOTE=Niner Bikes]The orange (Tang) bike is a prototype. The smooth welds are a bondo type plastic put over the welds to cover them over. We are not going with this option. While it has a nice appearance, down the line there may be a chance the plastic will separate from the weld and lend an appearance of a broken weld. Also the welds on the frame are fantastic looking and should not be covered up! If you look at the Godzilla Green bike you will see the welds.

Chris

Niner Bikes

P.S. Thank you to Leslie for having the faith in us

to race our bike. I know how hard you must have trained

for this race! Padre, thanks for all your help with the final

bike set up! See you at Otter.[/QUOTE]

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I wouldn't call the ride of scandium 'plush', but its waaaay smoother than the old cannondales I used to ride. You certainly don't get beat to crap. Like many have said, the Sc ride is quite close to steel, but still is most definitely Al. I know it sounds kinda weird. I have a Sc Kona 'cross bike I've been riding everyehwere(Trail, Road, race), and its got smaller tires(duh) and I can definitely feel the ride. I've also got a Kelly cross bike to compare it with. The Kelly is much 'softer' or smoother, a bit more relaxed feeling. The Kona squirts ahead with every pedal stroke, like its itching to get somewhere fast. Climbing on the kona is quite fun. the BB is waaay stiff. I would suspect that this is the way the Niner feels as well. I kind of like the way Sc rides myself, and this is coming from a diehard retrogrouchy steel guy. The only thing that is a bit disconcerting about Sc is the tubing is very thin, very susceptable to denting, I would think. I haven't dented my Kona, but it sure feels like it'd be easy to do. For the price that Niners are going for, I don't think you could go wrong in trying one out. Especailly if you plan on racing. I think they'll be a great racing platform.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
~martini~ said:
I wouldn't call the ride of scandium 'plush', but its waaaay smoother than the old cannondales I used to ride. You certainly don't get beat to crap. Like many have said, the Sc ride is quite close to steel, but still is most definitely Al.
Good call.
From what I can gather from Leslie...you are spot on.
She can't articulate any of this with technical jargon...so it comes through kinda fuzzy....

Her DiSS was "ouchy." Going down hill the bike would pop all over and kind of spike back at the rider.
Her 1x1 is "thud thud thud." Those spiky bumps get erased back to a dull thud and soften all the blows.

She said the Sc felt like a cross between the 1x1 and the DiSS. It kind of thud's going down the trail but bounces back a tiny bit. She said it felt very comfy though...

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
good descriptions on Sc.

i have a scandium Bianchi road frame, and i have to agree with the comments above concerning how the material feels. i was thinking scandium would beat me up like Al does, but what really worried me was that i had been riding a carbon frame for the past 3 years. i don't miss the carbon at all! the scandium frame is much more "lively" and with a carbon fork and seatpost, the bike rides like a dream.
of course, much of a frame's ride quality comes from the tubing spec, geometry and build. and then there are components and tires, etc.
but if scandium can feel good on the road connected to skinny, high psi tires, then i would be excited to try it on the trail, coupled to some big niner hoops!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.