Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just past the 52 undercrossing, across the main road to East Elliot. Couple dudes I talked to said it wasn't there in the afternoon of 3/19/14. Photo taken just after 9 am.

Bottom part of Grassy knoll seems to have lost no go sign, but sign still present higher up. 2 weeks ago while on canyon closest to Oak without being in Oak (Switchbacks?) saw a ranger with dump truck dumping out brush at top of switchbacks on the ridge.
I suck at pictures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Probably stricter enforcement due to the dumbasses that continue to build berms, cut back brush, build jumps on the trails that are still "legal", rusty barrels. Do these tools not realize they are doing the cause absolutely no good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Someone has been digging out all of the deadfall that they can from the streambed *in* the park and staging it. It's been going on for weeks. I imagine it's park supported, as there's some big stuff in there.

I know it's been said hundreds of time before but it's REALLLLYYYYY time for people to start calling, emailing, talking to their local politicians and in general voicing their opinions.

There's also one person who has taken it upon herself to do 'trail maintenance and trail closing" every weekend... the park knows but apparently doesn't care much because she does it out in the open, withouth hiding a thing.

If someone crashed on that deadfall, it's time to file a suit against the city.

This is just past the 52 undercrossing, across the main road to East Elliot. Couple dudes I talked to said it wasn't there in the afternoon of 3/19/14. Photo taken just after 9 am.

Bottom part of Grassy knoll seems to have lost no go sign, but sign still present higher up. 2 weeks ago while on canyon closest to Oak without being in Oak (Switchbacks?) saw a ranger with dump truck dumping out brush at top of switchbacks on the ridge.
I suck at pictures.

·
Registered
613 Posts
after initially getting pissed, I re-thought this.

if these sized logs *are not* re-stacked for a log roll, we've failed as a community.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That looks pretty damn unofficial. Maybe BSC Joyce is up to her old shenanigans. The City of San Diego knows how to post "keep out" signs -- I say keep riding until you see a blue-and-brown sign in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
613 Posts
it's cleared. There's some pretty big sized logs that were moved... not a single person task unless that person is in damn good shape. Personally I wouldn't be effin around with deadfall right now, might grab a handful of buzzworm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was out there on Monday, 3/24. Nothing really to report. Switchbacks is gone. Makes me really sad every time I pass it. The alternative that was made is not that bad until you get to the fire-road. Then it sucks. Completely unrideable for me whereas switchbacks was. There is a beaver dam at the very top of grassy knoll next to the sign to deter cyclist. My recommendation is to keep it there. Rest of the trail is fine. The Grassy Knoll is such a gem of a trail. Everything in East Elliot is so fun to ride. I hope this area is never annexed into Mission Trails and all the hubbub dies down.

Or by some act of unbelievable fortune that the trails are somehow grandfathered in like San Clemente singletracks. I rode there on Saturday and that is a prime example of what should happen in East Elliot. There was a MTBR forum a little while ago asking what was a better place to ride, San Diego or Irvine. A lot of people were talking San Diego up. I believe that's BS. The two most fun areas to ride within 20 miles are unauthorized. Irvine has San Clemente singletracks, San Juan Trail and numerous other places close by. By all means I love San Diego, but it's not a city for legal Mountain Bike single tracks.

I also attended the March 20th MTRP CAC meeting. Numerous SDMBA members were present which was a nice show of support of the community. The usual topics were brought up and there were a couple nice speaches. Such as the lack of single tracks and how fire roads do not count as "trails" even though they are advertised that way. Mission Trails is a rather ironic name, no? Either way, the most I learned while I was there was about the individual with the flappy hat who spurred a lot of this.... And that I don't think Chris Zirkle, the deputy director of open space, who controls access to East Elliot park lands and the Del Mar Mesa, cares about the MTB community. In fact, I believe he has a underlying personal agenda against them. But I digress.

Anyways, ride while you can and try to continue to press the need for legal single track in San Diego. Even if there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
What place is this guy talking about?

"The equestrian center is getting used more and more," Sherman said at a recent committee hearing. "You go by there on a weekend and the parking lots are packed and people are all over the place -- and there's no shade and no real facilities, per se, for the people out there."

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
Off Mast Blvd where everyone EXCEPT equestrians go. The packed parking lots are hikers and bikers.

It already has facilities including water and toilets.

If you need shade, go at night, find a tree, or wear a damn hat. We do not live in a forest, we live in a desert. Shade is not a natural resource here.

Also, the bad part that not everyone realizes the the $500k IS NOT for the actual building, it is just the PLANNING of the building.

The council will consider spending $500,000 for final planning for the structure that would house park ranger offices, a kitchen, showers, conference room and storage space

Actual cost is undetermined at this time but it will cost multi=MILLIONS of dollars. But there is no money for the master trails plan, right? How about build the trails first the then you can worry about the frivolous, redundant facilities.

Somebody wants their plaque on the side of the building. That is what it is really about.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road apples out past 52 on main access road last 2 days when I went out. First time I have seen/noticed them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Road apples out past 52 on main access road last 2 days when I went out. First time I have seen/noticed them.
"Apples"???
So there's yet another name I gotta try to remember ?

Let's see... One trail is called L1,Western,Firstleft, Teote,Switchback... Then there's another that I've heard called Irontreads, Braceletts, Tractorclimb.... Oh I'm still not sure which one is Herbervoire and which one is Carnivore. I just know they are to the right, and nobody's closed em... Yet. Bty I've always called those two Extra Credit.

OK. 'Nuff IPA for me tonight.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
"Apples"???
So there's yet another name I gotta try to remember ?

Let's see... One trail is called L1,Western,Firstleft, Teote,Switchback... Then there's another that I've heard called Irontreads, Braceletts, Tractorclimb.... Oh I'm still not sure which one is Herbervoire and which one is Carnivore. I just know they are to the right, and nobody's closed em... Yet. Bty I've always called those two Extra Credit.

OK. 'Nuff IPA for me tonight.
Scott.....

Road Apples = this --> road-apples.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sems they really don't care about park users. They are building a ranger club house...

park ranger offices, a kitchen, showers, conference room and storage space

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
That wood will make a dandy bonfire at the trailhead. Who's got the lighter fluid?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts