1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't keep a good idea down...

-who would you have as a guest speaker?
-photography equipment manufactures info booths
-a cooking demo (mountain bikers like to eat)
-perhaps sponsership by a grocery chain

another big event to piggy back on and closer to horseshoe as a location

http://www.kempenfest.com/

if dufferin is choosen as a location there is also the

http://www.allistonpotatofestival.com/

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Apparently there will be some discussion of this at the TORBA AGM on Weds eve. Tbone and I are planning to attend from Defiant. There is quite a lot of behind the scenes activity on this. Most of the key provincial players are aware of the idea and have offered support.

I do think that the event needs a principal focus... a signature 'highlight' event. Some of the ideas already put forward are good ones, but at this point brainstorming is what needs to be done!

It would be good for it to be spectator friendly and easy to enter. Super D and a pump track competition are the first things that spring to my mind, insurance issues notwithstanding. Trials or a dirt jam also make good eye candy but are not as easy to participate in.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trailtrash said:
if you want to keep it closer to the GTA piggy back onto a Chico 24hr event as your closure
i think there is not really enough room, no elevation, no hotel, no lifts, and no really fresh trails.
plus i think the event should be run as non profit... if profit is shown the money should go back into the trails for all to enjoy...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
singlesprocket said:
french fries for starters when you have the munchies.

they have an atv mud bog, why not a mtb event?

http://www.allistonpotatofestival.com/events.html
The fries are amazing, but you'd have a snowballs chance in hell in getting more than 3 people to show up to an mtb event. Before I moved from Alliston to BC that number would have been 4, but pretty sure there are just three riders left in town.

Joking aside I have to ask again and hopefully you'll answer in this thread as it's still on track.

What would you hope to accomplish with a mtb festival? Any of the ones that I know that have been successful have been set up by towns or regions that want to highlight their trails and bring tourist dollars in. By hosting an event they get their name out there and draw new people in. Events like the Potatio Fest and Fiddleville aren't really looking to put either town on the map, they are community celebrations, a chance for the community to come out and socialize together.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
shirk said:
What would you hope to accomplish with a mtb festival? Any of the ones that I know that have been successful have been set up by towns or regions that want to highlight their trails and bring tourist dollars in. By hosting an event they get their name out there and draw new people in. Events like the Potatio Fest and Fiddleville aren't really looking to put either town on the map, they are community celebrations, a chance for the community to come out and socialize together.
Like what the Ride The Don was supposed to be in 2006. Sadly it made it one more year, barely existed in 2007. The died. The woman who created it left to work in BC. Funnily enough the same time that IMBA Mark leeft to teach at Capilano Uni.

As shown, needs more then one or 2 people behind it to keep it running.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shirk said:
The fries are amazing, but you'd have a snowballs chance in hell in getting more than 3 people to show up to an mtb event. Before I moved from Alliston to BC that number would have been 4, but pretty sure there are just three riders left in town.

Joking aside I have to ask again and hopefully you'll answer in this thread as it's still on track.

alliston is a strange little town with good fries... actually it was just an exploration of a concept (brain storming). i think horseshoe is the best place actually. a little bit of everything there. far enough out of the gta to make things interesting yet close enough to get to.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
singlesprocket said:
alliston is a strange little town with good fries... actually it was just an exploration of a concept (brain storming). i think horseshoe is the best place actually. a little bit of everything there. far enough out of the gta to make things interesting yet close enough to get to.
There are actually no good fried in Alliston outside of Pot Fest, if you want great fries hit up the chip truck in Anten Mills.

Still don't know what you would like to achieve with your bike festival.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It seems to me that the Chico 24hr of summer solstice and Hot august nights are what we are talking about! You have camping, riding, bbq's, beer, tunes, food, campfires kid events, massage's, manufacturers, contests etc etc. no it doesn't take in every type of riding but since something like 90% of all mountain bikes sales fall in the cross country to all mountain sales then Chico is hitting the mainstream of riders.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Dgage said:
Chico 24hr of summer solstice and Hot august nights are what we are talking about! You have camping, riding, bbq's, beer, tunes, food, campfires kid events, massage's, manufacturers, contests etc. since something like 90% of all mountain bikes sales fall in the cross country to all mountain sales then Chico is hitting the mainstream of riders.
Fail! Does NOT qualify. For starters, we've already established - no really fresh trails at Albion (whatever that means), no elevation (but try climbing some of the steeper hills on your 35lbs+ bike), no lifts (but since there's no elevation, one shouldn't need one anyway?), not enough room (just how do those few thousand people get in there for the 24hr races, plus entertainment, vendors? - no idea), no hotel (because when I think -outdoors, mtbiking, nature - I think "hotel"). Overall, it plainly sucks.
With over 160 posts, you should know better... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Arek said:
Fail! Does NOT qualify. For starters, we've already established - no really fresh trails at Albion (whatever that means), no elevation (but try climbing some of the steeper hills on your 35lbs+ bike), no lifts (but since there's no elevation, one shouldn't need one anyway?), not enough room (just how do those few thousand people get in there for the 24hr races, plus entertainment, vendors? - no idea), no hotel (because when I think -outdoors, mtbiking, nature - I think "hotel"). Overall, it plainly sucks.
lol ..sorry

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Arek said:
now now don't get your knickers in a knot... first of all its a race first and a seperate event. how can you hold a trail rides etc with a race going on in a limited space? (one event will suffer) secondly it is not a non profit event. so if you get sponsorship/profit how will you divide it up or seperate it? would people be willing to pay extra to take part in a seperate event being held in an event they already paid alot of money for. so in other words there are lots of points of conflict. also how would you dilegate responsibility and
authority? it is a legal mudpit...

thirdly the diversty of trails is lacking. albion hills is set up for racing... i don't see that changing anytime soon. it is better to offer the most diverse selection of trails and riding.
in other words there are better places to ride.

why not offer a higher standard of accommodation? stinky porta potteys, no hotwater, dirty communal washrooms might be fun for you... but some people don't mind paying for better accommodation. that does not mean they are anyless mtbers or outdoorsy. why not offer both? if albion hills is the great outdoors, so is my backyard lol... it is just a spot to ride.

funny comment about 35lb bikes, really shows your knowledge...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm not going to get into a debate with you here, we know that tends to end up with someone getting banned...

I'll just say this - you constantly keep bit*hing about how bad Albion Hills is (everything related to it - trails, maintanance, facilities, events etc.), yet it is Chico's 24hr races that keep attracting new and experienced riders alike year in and year out, and it is those events that are the closest to the festival atmospehere you are describing. Have you ever participated in one of those? They are more of a mtb festival than a race, in my opinion. They attract all kinds of riders, who come with friends, families, camp out, enjoy the atmospehere, live music, movies at night, beer, food, there are events for kids... and the "race" aspect only enhances the overall vibe, as everyone pushes themselves to the best of their abilities, no matter what their level is.
It seems that you have some very specific ideas about what a mtb festival should be. Get something going. Try to attract the right people to share your vision, and do it. See how viable some of your ideas are. I'll be the first one to congratulate you if your ideas come to fruition.
The point is, it's so easy to be an internet activist. Talk is cheap.

Oh, and as for the 35lbs bikes - was I off by more than 5lbs? Anyhow, you've missed the point. You're the one asking for lifts, that tells me we're not exactly talking about bikes that fly up hills in the middle ring. Then again, it might just be the engine that's the issue.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
it's fairly clear why the banning happened and this is not the thread to discuss it.

it pisses me off people keep saying talk is cheap... very narrow minded, you should be encouraging talking, ideas and different points of view. it's the whole idea behind forums.
get over it that albion hills is not the center of the universe nor is any event there truly representive of the diverse cycling community (stats have been published to confirm this).
why not choose a location that is more diverse? why not choose a location that caters to all riders? i think it is great that it has festival atmosphere at the race there but it is a race first and everything else is secondary. the underlying premise of the event is that it
is privite profit generating and non transparent. which is fine like any biz. i think the underlying premise for a festival is that it should be a public profit generating event with all profits going back into the trails in a transparent and equable manner... this is a conflict of interest point between such events. for example charging venders booth/site fees, i think everything should be done to encourage venders to setup at a very reasonable cost. try to take away the risk of venders of being there.

by the way i have stepped up to the plate, i just don't talk about it.

your stab at lift access riding was clear, like it or not it is an important part of the riding community (as well as any other riding)

Arek said:
I'm not going to get into a debate with you here, we know that tends to end up with someone getting banned...

I'll just say this - you constantly keep bit*hing about how bad Albion Hills is (everything related to it - trails, maintanance, facilities, events etc.), yet it is Chico's 24hr races that keep attracting new and experienced riders alike year in and year out, and it is those events that are the closest to the festival atmospehere you are describing. Have you ever participated in one of those? They are more of a mtb festival than a race, in my opinion. They attract all kinds of riders, who come with friends, families, camp out, enjoy the atmospehere, live music, movies at night, beer, food, there are events for kids... and the "race" aspect only enhances the overall vibe, as everyone pushes themselves to the best of their abilities, no matter what their level is.
It seems that you have some very specific ideas about what a mtb festival should be. Get something going. Try to attract the right people to share your vision, and do it. See how viable some of your ideas are. I'll be the first one to congratulate you if your ideas come to fruition.
The point is, it's so easy to be an internet activist. Talk is cheap.

Oh, and as for the 35lbs bikes - was I off by more than 5lbs? Anyhow, you've missed the point. You're the one asking for lifts, that tells me we're not exactly talking about bikes that fly up hills in the middle ring. Then again, it might just be the engine that's the issue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.