Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the Statesman Urnal this morn and it seems that there are more land closures in effect for summer fire season.Alot of counties are effected The trails in Dallas are closed.First Shellberg for logging,and now Dallas for fire season.That just leaves Silver Creek Falls and Monument Peak as the closest in the Salem/Keizer area? Any thoughts or comments?

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Camo your bike hauling with some limbs, not at a major trailhead. If someone approaches, keep riding away from them as if you never saw them -- make them physically stop your bike.

What a load of crap. Anything to pacify the militant enviro-types and keep bikes out of the woods. Unless it's already on fire, nothing should keep people from being out.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
That's a really p-poor reply Malibu. Especially if on private forest land.

They want you out so they don't have to go looking for you in the event of a fire and potentially put fire fighters and SAR folks at more risk than they already are. Maybe just let them all know what rig you are driving to the non-descript TH and if they see your car, just let you fry? There's a valid reason and it's just a few weeks out of the year. Geez.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Borneo said:
That's a really p-poor reply Malibu. Especially if on private forest land.
Oh, thank you for the hand slap. I agree about the private forestland part -- private land owners can and should do whatever they want. I know that some of the closed areas are privately held and have to be crossed to get to public.

I don't agree that public land should be treated the same unless there's an immediate threat to safety. Just a "high" fire risk rating shouldn't justify a public closure. Perhaps some weather pattern with potential lightning strikes would be the exception and I don't see any of that in the forecast. And with the very wet Spring and cooler Summer weather we're having, just how much of a threat is it realistically? JMO.

Borneo said:
There's a valid reason and it's just a few weeks out of the year. Geez.
There always is a "valid reason" for just about everything that chips away at peoples' ability to move about freely and enjoy the things they once did. Those "just a few weeks out of the year" just happen to be from July-September, the prime time for trail users of all stripes to be out enjoying.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My favorite "valid reason" is the bark beatle.Sure...chop it down and make it permanently dusty.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Malibu412 said:
Oh, thank you for the hand slap. I agree about the private forestland part -- private land owners can and should do whatever they want. I know that some of the closed areas are privately held and have to be crossed to get to public.

I don't agree that public land should be treated the same unless there's an immediate threat to safety. Just a "high" fire risk rating shouldn't justify a public closure. Perhaps some weather pattern with potential lightning strikes would be the exception and I don't see any of that in the forecast. And with the very wet Spring and cooler Summer weather we're having, just how much of a threat is it realistically? JMO.

There always is a "valid reason" for just about everything that chips away at peoples' ability to move about freely and enjoy the things they once did. Those "just a few weeks out of the year" just happen to be from July-September, the prime time for trail users of all stripes to be out enjoying.
Fire danger closures are not made lightly and the risk is real. Does not really matter if it is public or private ownership. If it burns, it burns. If you happened to be in there when it started you will be investigated as the possible cause.

And, yes, I have ridden in fire closure areas in the past.

I have also seen the result of fires burning over the trails.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
shiggy said:
Fire danger closures are not made lightly and the risk is real.
And you were in the room when the decisions were made when? I do agree there are stupid people who put resources and other people at risk cuz they do stupid things. Too bad represent sensible people.

shiggy said:
Does not really matter if it is public or private ownership. If it burns, it burns. If you happened to be in there when it started you will be investigated as the possible cause.
Investigate away. This could be the case if I was riding in a non-closed area and it went up. My brakes get a little hot now and then. Don't know if they can be considered an incendiary cause. Otherwise, I don't even carry waterproof matches on my rides. I can't remember the last time I used tracer-type bullets in my firearms...

shiggy said:
And, yes, I have ridden in fire closure areas in the past.
Does this mean you have seen the light and will no longer do this?

shiggy said:
I have also seen the result of fires burning over the trails.
I've seen the result of a volcano blast over a trail. Your point?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Malibu412 said:
What a load of crap. Anything to pacify the militant enviro-types and keep bikes out of the woods.
I have a feeling it has more to do with protecting our natural re$ources for logging... it doesn't really matter though... humans cause a lot of fires and if that can be easily prevented, why not? I think riding conditions are a lot better with moisture anyways (generally speaking).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Malibu412 said:
And you were in the room when the decisions were made when? I do agree there are stupid people who put resources and other people at risk cuz they do stupid things. Too bad represent sensible people.

Investigate away. This could be the case if I was riding in a non-closed area and it went up. My brakes get a little hot now and then. Don't know if they can be considered an incendiary cause. Otherwise, I don't even carry waterproof matches on my rides. I can't remember the last time I used tracer-type bullets in my firearms...

Does this mean you have seen the light and will no longer do this?

I've seen the result of a volcano blast over a trail. Your point?
Not worth arguing with you.

Irresponsible people of all sorts reflect poorly on those that are responsible.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
ride_nw said:
I have a feeling it has more to do with protecting our natural re$ources for logging... it doesn't really matter though... humans cause a lot of fires and if that can be easily prevented, why not? I think riding conditions are a lot better with moisture anyways (generally speaking).
Yes,

shiggy said:
Not worth arguing with you.

Irresponsible people of all sorts reflect poorly on those that are responsible.
And yes.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
ride_nw said:
That works, too. I would say the appeasement of aggro-enviros is a secondary benefit.

I hear ya about some moisture but IME, there's a window of about a month at each end of Summer that would provide such better conditions.

My main point is an area, much of it public, is closed off to normal use during the prime season for an alleged/legit fire threat. This 3 year old policy is a precedent that could effect other areas people recreate in the outdoors. If it works for the ODF and private holders, why not other state jurisdictions or NF. If it's really a concern about protecting life/resources, how would you feel about a "fire season" closing every Summer in Oakridge, the area around the MRT, Deschutes, Tilly?

Shig, sorry. ATD.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Malibu412 said:
That works, too. I would say the appeasement of aggro-enviros is a secondary benefit.

I hear ya about some moisture but IME, there's a window of about a month at each end of Summer that would provide such better conditions.

My main point is an area, much of it public, is closed off to normal use during the prime season for an alleged/legit fire threat. This 3 year old policy is a precedent that could effect other areas people recreate in the outdoors. If it works for the ODF and private holders, why not other state jurisdictions or NF. If it's really a concern about protecting life/resources, how would you feel about a "fire season" closing every Summer in Oakridge, the area around the MRT, Deschutes, Tilly?

Shig, sorry. ATD.
I dunno man, gotta choose your battles. Fires are real. I do not think this is happening simply to keep bikers (and horses, and hikers, and atvs) out of the woods. Personally I don't care if things are shut down for a couple of months as long as I can use it the rest of the year. It's a huge state. There is always somewhere open for riding.

What do you think the motive is for shutting down access? Just to make life difficult for cyclists in your neighborhood? If it is private land, no contest, consider yourself lucky to even use it in the first place and please consider that it would be nice if you could avoid pissing off the owners who could close access forever. They are the ones doing you a favor.

When trails are closed permanently for cyclists, that is another story, one which I will join you in fighting.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Malibu412 said:
what a load of crap. Anything to pacify the militant enviro-types and keep bikes out of the woods. Unless it's already on fire, nothing should keep people from being out.
You are an idiot. Put on your tin foil hat and unplug your radio.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it just goes to show you that just a few ruin it for so many.In the artical in the Urnal they talked about the fire in 07.They used the term "gentleman" when referring to the"******" that used 50 Cal tracer rounds in the middle of summer fire season! Who the F**CK does that? I'm sure the guy didnt serve any jail time! Maybe they just took his rifle away!?.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jekramerjr51 said:
Well, it just goes to show you that just a few ruin it for so many.In the artical in the Urnal they talked about the fire in 07.They used the term "gentleman" when referring to the"******" that used 50 Cal tracer rounds in the middle of summer fire season! Who the F**CK does that? I'm sure the guy didnt serve any jail time! Maybe they just took his rifle away!?.
He would have been charged with the cost of fighting the fire. Not that he could ever come up with the cash.

Seasonal land restrictions and closures are not a new. I can not remember a year when they have not gone into effect somewhere.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sure hope so Shig! Firestarters,poachers and drunk drivers should serve more jail time than people that are in possesion of mother natures herbal remedies.

G

·
I've lived and ridden in an extreme wildfire danger area. Wildfires are no joke. Unless you've actually witnessed one firsthand, it is impossible to comprehend how fast they move. So dangerous, hard to describe. After the fire in the photos below was put out, I rode my bike with a county fireman bro along the road where it was basically a "last stand". Fire crosses the road, a city of 500,000 burns to the ground. Going downhill, full blast on our bikes; the fire would have overtaken us, it was traveling twice as fast as we could ride.
I'm neither a fireman or Forest Service employee, but in my regular trips to the backcountry around here, if the fire risk is not high right now, it will be in a few days or a week. The rainy spring followed by hot, low humidity weather has created perfect wildfire conditions. One lightning strike, cig butt out the window, unattended campfire or burned lip roach in the pine straw and it's burn baby, burn.
Fire closures are a regular occurrence in many places of the American West. If you want to ride in a closed area, it's your call. Being burned to death would be a heck of a way to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts