Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the other ice riding pics, I made up some new tires. Whereas my old set had about 50 studs per tire, these new ones have over 200. I put the old tires on my wife's bike and we headed out to a local swamp. I remember 15 years ago on winter going hiking on this swamp, but recollection was rather foggy.

We had a blast, its such a cool feeling riding in places that are just unaccessible during warmer months. My wife tried to kayak here this summer and made it perhaps 1/10th as far as we did today. My studs worked great, like riding velcro, I could wheelie (front and back) and do just about anything I could do on the dirt.

Unfortunately my wife found the limits of the old tires when she leaned into a corner - those ice crashes happen fast.

John

Attachments

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually...

radair said:
You cheap bastid, giving her the sh!tty tires. She'll never ice ride with you again at that rate. Or maybe that's what you want.

Merry Christmas, John.
Hey, thanks Rob - right back atcha...

What my wife did say when we got back in the car was, "Can you put more screws in my tires?".

Of course the set of tires she has have the liner GLUED in, so it will be a major pain to put more screws in (and after just finishing my set, I'm just about all done with screws and tires for a little while.

She must have said, "This is so cool" about 100 times while we were riding. It is a lot of fun. Though when you think about it, its kind of lame - no rocks, no hills. :D

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problems...

DMR For Life said:
looks like the dog is having a bit of fun staying up on that ice too
Merry Christmas
DMR
Some one over at NEMBA said the same thing. The dog was a bit freaked when we first got on the ice. After about 10 mins she got used to it and was having a ball. She was running, jumping and scratching at the ice.

I don't mean to be defensive, but I'd never put my dog in harms way, in any way. If she wasn't comfortable after a few minutes we'd have cut the ride short.

John

·
Registered
545 Posts
many years back there where 10 or so of us that hung out and rode we'd show up at the local lake and chase of the skaters we would line up 5 at a time and do 3 lap flat track style motos top 2 would advance and so on . very hard on bikes and clothes but boy was that fun.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like fun

dadat40 said:
many years back there where 10 or so of us that hung out and rode we'd show up at the local lake and chase of the skaters we would line up 5 at a time and do 3 lap flat track style motos top 2 would advance and so on . very hard on bikes and clothes but boy was that fun.
That sounds awesome. I'd love to get something like that going. I've got three other folks I ride with consistently, and only one is interested in buy/making studded tires. We talked about doing something like that on NEMBA last year, though they were talking about doing time trial style so no one gets hurt. 5 up sounds like way more fun!

John

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
Jisch said:
Hey, thanks Rob - right back atcha...

What my wife did say when we got back in the car was, "Can you put more screws in my tires?".

Of course the set of tires she has have the liner GLUED in, so it will be a major pain to put more screws in (and after just finishing my set, I'm just about all done with screws and tires for a little while.
You could just swap your front for her rear (tire, that is). You'd both stick pretty well, and you wouldn't look so selfish.

Of course, she could just build herself some tires. Lazy woman...(I kid)

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good thought except...

Dwight Moody said:
You could just swap your front for her rear (tire, that is). You'd both stick pretty well, and you wouldn't look so selfish.

Of course, she could just build herself some tires. Lazy woman...(I kid)
My front is a 2.3 which won't fit in her chainstays. I'm running a 2.1 in back so that it will fit in mine.

Perhaps berating my wife for not wanting to use power tools and cut up her hands is the way to go hmmmm. :D

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...

DMR For Life said:
i didn't mean to infer that you were putting your dog in harms way...just that your dog was enjoying herself
DMR
Cool, I was afraid this thread was going to deteriorate into a "people shouldn't bring their dogs on the ice" diatribe.

Now that I type that it sounds stupid.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How thick was the ice?

jrm said:
Just asking...from someone who fel through the ice as a kid
We kept an eye on the ice, there were a few places where it was not thick, but anyplace we rode it was 6"+ . It's been cold here for the last three weeks - I mean not above freezing cold. I'm not sure what good a floatation device would do with water this cold, I think hypothermia would get you regardless of whether you were floating or sinking.

John

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Whoops, pics attached

Riding on the Knik Glacier in Southcentral AK.

Wildfire said:
...so try to to not ride any that isn't at least several hundred feet thick. Happy holidays from Alaska.

Wildfire

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
WHOA!!! Those snow pics are biitchin Wildfire...makes me wish to be out there gettin some of that. Jisch...you are a blessed man. My wife won't go near a bike let alone try something like that.

Merry Christmas folks.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Wildfire you da man

I trade places with you in a heartbeat. :( Those are really really cool pics as you make me so jealous. I guess some of us have all the luck........lol. Like you bike setup as I see you have a set of snowcats on those babies. ICEBIKING RULES :D :D

·
lover of trees
85 Posts
Nice pictures everyone~

I just posted in the NY Swamp ice riding thread. I have Specialized Enduro's 2.00's with about 245 1/2" (I'd recommend 3/8") self-tapping metal lathe screws from Home DePot in each tire. They work dangerously well! Amazing traction and just don't put your hands anywhere near these puppies. I lined the tires with a spare tube and use a Special ed thorn resistent tube to keep this nice. I would also use a soft road tire as a liner if I had one. Maybe cut the beads off if needed. I drilled the holes for these tires from outside in (there's perforations on the knobs that make this very easy) and then drill the screws in from the inside.

Most fun on two wheels where there's ice to ride.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.