Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - similar asked before.

Setup:

Mavic tubeless ready rims Crossmax XL
Spec 2Bliss tires
Stans Notube sealant

1) mount tires without Stans first and try to air up with floor pump?
2) mount tires with Stans in and try to air up with floor pump and hope for successful first try?
3) if # 1, will tire iron on tire take off be bad for beads to add Stans?
4) use an air compressor with Stans in first try?
5) other

Yep seen Stans video for conversion to tubeless. Soaping beads planned.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
1 or 2.

2Bliss have UST beads. I have never had trouble mounting UST tires with a floor pump - but I do recommend sealant. So #2 is your best bet if you are not injecting sealant through your valves.

Tubeless ready or regular tires - you generally need a compressor

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
dwt said:
Tubeless ready or regular tires - you generally need a compressor
Most (Specialized, Bontrager, Hutchinson, Geax) tubeless ready tires have UST spec beads so they should mount the same as a full UST tire. The only "Tubeless Ready" tire I'm aware of that doesn't have a UST spec bead is the NoTubes tires.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Most (Specialized, Bontrager, Hutchinson, Geax) tubeless ready tires have UST spec beads so they should mount the same as a full UST tire. The only "Tubeless Ready" tire I'm aware of that doesn't have a UST spec bead is the NoTubes tires.
Doh! That means I'm running heavier, more expensive and less supple tires unececessarily! I had thought tubeless ready was a gimmick to sell regular tires. So - do they mount without a compressor?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
dwt said:
Doh! That means I'm running heavier, more expensive and less supple tires unececessarily! I had thought tubeless ready was a gimmick to sell regular tires. So - do they mount without a compressor?
I know the Bontrager TLR tires do on the TLR rims...I haven't tried a Tubeless Ready tire on a Mavic UST rim, but if the Specialized 2Bliss tires do (which are tubeless ready) the others should too.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
You can mount them with a floor pump (you can mount non tr tires with a floor pump) but a compressor makes it easier.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
#2, if not successful then #4, if still unsuccessful then do as the video below describes. I mount up Specialized 2Bliss on my Crossmax SL, swap tires multiple times a year, and usually use a compressor that I have in my garage. So for me it is #4, then the trick in the video if that fails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a TLR tire on the back and a Specialized 2bliss captain tire front with bonti juice in both. The wheels are bonti rythym pro TLR. The TLR tire mounts and seals up tight and holds air well. The front 2bliss mounts well but looses air quickly (20 psi overnight) and weeps juice. I'd like to keep the specialized captain as they are great tires and expensive too. Any other fixes or sealant suggestions?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
da_alias said:
I have a TLR tire on the back and a Specialized 2bliss captain tire front with bonti juice in both. The wheels are bonti rythym pro TLR. The TLR tire mounts and seals up tight and holds air well. The front 2bliss mounts well but looses air quickly (20 psi overnight) and weeps juice. I'd like to keep the specialized captain as they are great tires and expensive too. Any other fixes or sealant suggestions?
20 psi per night is a major leak, I would suspect the rim strips or valve. Have you dunked it in a tub of water to look for a leak? If it is definitely just from weeping out of the sidewalls, then I would say that there is a reason why Stan's is the sealant of choice for most people.... I have always used Stan's, but just last night I mixed up my first batch of homebrew sealant. I have not used it yet, but I'm anxious to see how it works. 1 part mold builder, 1 part slime for tubeless, 1 part anti freeze, 2 parts water, and glitter. Roughly 80 oz of sealant for the cost of a single (16 oz?) bottle of Stan's

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is an easy and reliable way to do it with a floor pump.

- soap the beads and mount with a tube in and pump up to about 40 psi with a floor pump.
- leave it for an hour or so
- let the air out of the tube and peel back ONE SIDE only of the tire and take the tube out (the other side should stay seated or at least mostly).
- poor your stans or sealant mixture into the open side of the tire
- attach your floor pump and pump it reasonably hard/fast. If not fully seating let the wheel gently drop onto its side so the unseated side of the tire is facing down towards the ground and pump. The tires own weight will make that bead fall in and seat as you are pumping.

Really is an easy and reliable way to do it with just a floor pump. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
That will work I'm sure. I plug the trick in the video above so much because I'm blown away with how quick and easy it is. The video is 6 minutes long and the guy in it screws it up the first time and has to redo it during filming, so it probably takes only about 3 minutes when doen right. I used to be a heavy soapy water user, now I never do and leave things dry so I can move right on to pre-seating the beads if necessary without having to dry things off. The brief summary of the video is to keep the rim as dry as possible, put the tire with sealant on the rim, then pre-seat the beads on the bead shelf of the rim with a tire lever as much as possible on both beads. You should be able to get about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way around on each side. Then just pump it up, hopefully with ease.

·
Registered
28 Posts
for the sealant I just mix
1 part liquid latex
1 part slime
1 part windex

If anything maybe a bit more latex than the others. Been working well - not a single flat in over a year so far.

I don' t think you need the glitter as the slime has fibers in it.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
Mold said:
I know - similar asked before.

Setup:

Mavic tubeless ready rims Crossmax XL
Spec 2Bliss tires
Stans Notube sealant

1) mount tires without Stans first and try to air up with floor pump?
2) mount tires with Stans in and try to air up with floor pump and hope for successful first try?
3) if # 1, will tire iron on tire take off be bad for beads to add Stans?
4) use an air compressor with Stans in first try?
5) other

Yep seen Stans video for conversion to tubeless. Soaping beads planned.
arent the crossmax xls UST? if so then all you need to do is install the valve stem, install the tires ( my experience with the 2bliss is that they air up easy) make sure when you pump them up that they pop ( the beads lock into place) usually around 40-50psi.
I usually pop the bead off a little bit on one side to add the sealant but you can also get valves with removable cores and an injector.
dont use a tire iron, you really shouldnt need it

youre not really converting to tubeless, the wheels are ust and the tires are tubeless.
there are 3 types of tubeless

UST = airtight wheel and tire with special locking bead on both, doesnt require sealant
tubeless ( 2bliss, tlr, etc) = special locking bead on wheel and tire, requires sealant
Ghetto= regular tire and wheel with some type of rim strip, no special bead,requires sealant

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The ease of bead seating can be somewhat arbitrary. I was stuck with remounting 2 UST tyres to stans 355 rims with a floor pump. It took 8 strokes and about 10 seconds for 1 to seal up, and about 30secs to a minute for the other. The flipside of the coin is that its taken 10mins of mess to get similar tyres onto similar rims with a compressor at another time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts