Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, with about 3 riding months on my Flux my Reba Race has lost its compression damping adjustment (the Pop-loc doesn't do a thing), has oil leaked onto the crown, and a leaky negative spring chamber. How's that for the triple crown?

How have any of you other Reba owners experienced problems like this? I really wanted to trust Rock Shox to get it right this time, but they still can't seem to build stuff that lasts. It would at least take me a couple of years before I'd break things on my Manitou forks.

Well, I guess it's time to start looking at Fox...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've read a lot of good reviews but a worrying number of problems seem to be popping up too. Kind of a bugger as I've got one ordered for my Kona Kiluaea. Maybe it's time to reconsider that and just shell out the extra cash for something like Fox.

Good luck with sorting your bike out.

Cheers,

Duncan

·
Registered
152 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
So far, with about 3 riding months on my Flux my Reba Race has lost its compression damping adjustment (the Pop-loc doesn't do a thing), has oil leaked onto the crown, and a leaky negative spring chamber. How's that for the triple crown?
Is your Pop Loc set up correctly? Just how much oil has leaked out? The Motion Control is dependent on oil height. If the oil height is low, the compression adjustments won't work. Same goes for the Pop Loc. If it isn't set up properly, the compression adjustments don't work.

Have you contacted Rock Shox about any of this?

If you give me a little better idea of what's going on, I might be able to help.

Don't give up on the fork yet. I have over 6 months on a Pike (no, not a Reba but a similar damping system and internals) and have had no issues whatsoever.

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
I've had good luck w/mine so far. I rode my Dual Air Team for 1 month w/o incident and then decided that I wanted to opt for the Race U-Turn for some additional flexibility.

The only fly in the ointment so far is an oil leak from the damper side in my new Race. I called RockShox and they told me to take it in to an authorized RS dealer where it would be changed free of charge. Haven't had a chance to do that yet and only put one ride on the Race before a nasty 8 weeks off the bike crash (still a month to go) stopped me from any further eval.

Good luck w/yours and give RS's customer service a call if you haven't already...

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DoubleDown said:
Is your Pop Loc set up correctly? Just how much oil has leaked out? The Motion Control is dependent on oil height. If the oil height is low, the compression adjustments won't work. Same goes for the Pop Loc. If it isn't set up properly, the compression adjustments don't work.

Have you contacted Rock Shox about any of this?

If you give me a little better idea of what's going on, I might be able to help.

Don't give up on the fork yet. I have over 6 months on a Pike (no, not a Reba but a similar damping system and internals) and have had no issues whatsoever.
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to Sea Otter next weekend, and I'll talk to Rock Shox when I'm there. Unfortunately, my LBS has little experience working on the latest Rock Shox, so they're of little help. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Post Sea Otter Followup

I went to Sea Otter last weekend as much to get factory support as to race, and my wishes came true. At first, the slightly overwhelmed tech who handles problems from dumb end users like myself tried to blow me off by handing me a shock pump and telling me to start from scratch. I did this and after I was done the fork has this weird feeling where it would start ramping up in the first 1.5" of travel and then it felt like the air spring was barely working. I was annoyed by this point and my friend wanted to get a preride in, so I did the preride on a fork that barely worked, hoping I didn't hit anything that was really going to work the fork. Thankfully, I didn't and went back to the RockShox support area. Once the tech checked it out with the new "feature", he said "come back in an hour" and took my bike behind the velvet rope. I came back about 45 minutes later, and my fork rode like it was new again. The pop-loc worked, I was running normal pressures again (about 105 lbs.) and the travel felt really good. They said that a seal had come loose inside and that they rebuilt the fork. We'll see how long it lasts...

If anything else happens to this fork, there will be a Reba Race for sale after it comes back from its repair because it will not go back on my bike. This experience is exactly the opposite of what I had hoped for with the new SRAM/RockShox.

I've heard around here that Fox makes a pretty decent fork ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.