Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to other threads here, this is pretty minor, but pulled this out of me arse Friday after work. Not even a crash, but instead, when I stopped I put my foot down and the ground gave way. Fell over and slid down soft dirt about 7' for a seemingly easy off. But when I got to the bottom of the little ravine, foot landed in side of a good sized rock and folded it over.

Finished my ride once the initial pain subsided and climbed out with the bike, but by the tone I got home, I couldn't put any weight on it.

Started off of it all yesterday, but it with an ace bandage and butt loads of Advil, and today feels much better. Though, you wouldn't know it by looking at it. I look like I have a cankle >:-(

The frustrating part is, killed the chance for another ride this weekend and I should probably not ride for the week. Not sure that's going to happen though.

(Both, for comparison)
Skin Joint Photography Close-up Ankle
Finger Skin Human leg Joint Organ

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Guess what? My wife did the same thing 8 weeks ago. Swollen ankle and a non detached fracture of the lower fibula. Eerily similar.
Get it x-rayed.

FWIW. We were supposed to be in Banff today and heading South on a modified Tour Divide route to Whitefish Montana on our mountain tandem tomorrow.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
I rolled my ankle a few years ago, seemed to get better, but then I'd get a pain in the morning and then after some walking it would go away, but it got worse and worse. One day I woke up and thought: This is not right, something is wrong. Turned out, I chipped some bone when rolling the ankle, it got in the joint and messed up the bone cartilage and I needed surgery to repair it. They had to go in, pull the joint apart, grind out the bad cartilage, puncture the bone so it would clot and eventually, after a few months, form new cartilage. I was in a cast for a while, then a hard boot, eventually able to get back to cycling with one foot and no impacts, then two feet and easy, now seemingly back to normal. Surgery was 6 months ago. Quality of life is significantly improved not having the ankle pain. Short point: Go see a doctor and get it x-rayed to be sure it's not screwed up. If it is, it'd likely be easier to fix than down the road.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well holy crap people. Way to make me wonder...

It's the ninth day since, and there's still significant swelling. It hurts more through the day, walking, work, etc, like a bothersome pain, instead of a "holy crap, something's wrong" pain. Ironically, riding does not hurt. There was bruising that appeared under the ankle that went along the top of the sole of my foot. Then it cleared and moved to my toes. The body is so weird.

Most or all of the symptoms you all mention I'm experiencing. I may have it checked out, but not today. It's Sunday and I want to ride (you know, because it doesn't hurt then).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I roll my ankles a lot. When I say a lot it's as in I've lost track of how many bad sprains I've had through the years. When I was doing a lot of trail running it was at least one a year.

So, all that being said I have a lot of experience with recovering from them. If you still have significant swelling I would see a Doctor and get some X-rays. Typically if I was on crutches, or I should have been on crutches, the "significant" swelling phase was almost over after 5-7 days. If yours is not I would start to suspect that there is some more damage in there or that you are spending too much time on it.

In my experience the pain/discomfort can last for months as can some very minor inflammation, but nothing that I would call significant.

FWIW, I have started to treat all my joint injuries with heat instead of RICE. Healing times are greatly improved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.