Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a trek 3900 with single walled rims at the moment. I wanted to look into getting some more durable ones and new tires to throw on it. My rims are pretty beat up and the tires are worn good, so looking to replace them. Any recomendations that are upgrades but not crazy. I don't ride that much and when i do it's light trail riding, but even with that the rims on their now seem to bend alot.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
ArchEX rims with DT SuperComp spokes and nips or Sapim Lasers make a good relatively light option. Choose almost any front hub with the ability to use 15mm endcaps and maybe change caps to something else.
A rear hub is more important and I like DT with star ratchets. 350 is the most inexpensive.
With a Park TM-1 tensioning tool you can then lace up your set much easier than you think.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ArchEX rims with DT SuperComp spokes and nips or Sapim Lasers make a good relatively light option. Choose almost any front hub with the ability to use 15mm endcaps and maybe change caps to something else.
A rear hub is more important and I like DT with star ratchets. 350 is the most inexpensive.
With a Park TM-1 tensioning tool you can then lace up your set much easier than you think.
That wheelset would cost more than his bike.

Go check out bicylewheelwarehouse.com for good, inexpensive wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say that if you plan on keeping the bike for a while it would be good to upgrade wheels, as it is the most noticeable upgrade you can make. Or it could be that the shop is trying to nudge you toward a new bike sale instead of just wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say that if you plan on keeping the bike for a while it would be good to upgrade wheels, as it is the most noticeable upgrade you can make. Or it could be that the shop is trying to nudge you toward a new bike sale instead of just wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea I got that idea. Even made that comment that if I'm gonna spend like $500 in upgrades why not just save for a new full suspension.
Ok so probably gonna pull the trigger on the pure xm

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Pure XM rims are the "house brand" from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse". If I recall BWW has their rims made by Alex which is a reputable and quality manufacturer.

Wheelsets are not wasted money, they are an investment. Keep the OEM wheels and if you do decide to sell and upgrade later you can swap them back out and keep your nice wheelset for the next bike (assuming same wheel size).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts