Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
One major point I did not go to deep into: Dumbing down for the wrong reasons! Count me as one who hates it when something is changed because some random dude can't ride it. Unless it is an issue of maintenance and sustainability, you had better have a really good reason to make something easier to ride.
:thumbsup:

thanks for clarifying that.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
How did I miss this for so long? ;) I actually liked the post Lev and also had some concerns about difficulty locations. Bend is known for miles and miles of low angle smiles and most are perfectly happy with that. But, as locals and knowledgeable visitors know, Gray, Cline, Round, Lookout, etc all bring something else to the game. As a long time trail builder (legal and otherwise) I get where Lev is coming from and my builds have become more "sustainable" (I hate that overused word to describe trails these days) as I've grown older. Due to my own laziness of having to go back and fix it and because it adds more creative juices to "keep it fun" while being viewed as "easier" at first glance. Tough balance to keep and I applaud all that work hard to do it but I still hope more rockery gets included a lot closer to the Phil's TH. Lots of outcroppings that got routed around in the early days that could be incorporated now. I will say lower Golden Schauers (is that how his name was spelled?) above and below the picnic table is a hoot with just enough rock to keep you honest and an ability to keep the speed up. If the "dumbing down" is being done by the builder or at the request of the land manager, I'm all for it. But, random riders modifying original intent chaps my A**. But, the re-build of Whoops a few years back was a bummer.... Leaving it natural was more fun IMHO. But, I get why it was done and still have fun on it....

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
COD will receive significant change and relo this year, it is part of the new Welcome Center Trails Plan. COTA begins work on a new 6 or so mile beginner trail loop radiating out of the welcome center which is due to open in fall. That trail will use some of the easier sections of COD. The new COD will be a bit longer and include way more rock sections and become more difficult that current. Work has begun on that and will continue through the season, lots of hand work.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
".....and we also need a FUN kids loop that lets people climb up kents and get down phils earlier, maybe about 2 miles total. Not fire road. My kids hate to ride fireroad to get to single track.....hmmmm.....sound just like me frustrated to have to ride mellow terrain to get to more challenging terrain......."

Seems like a perfect goal for the Bend Bike Park to include in the design process. Yes, plans for such are starting now and I have been in communication with Bend Parks and Rec quite a bit. More on this later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trails are a democracy, you vote with a tool in your hand.
Literally...At a COTA work party on Funner a year ago the 'crew leader' pulled out a hammer and started to chisel away rock on the paver drop lead in. I asked what sorta mining/archeological operation he was up to and he said this is were everybody flats. I told him not to be a jackwagon and moved on to build a transfer on the s-curves. Got questioned about the feature(?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting discussion here. Now can I ask a personal question with a local angle?

In 2009 we took a vacation in Bend and we drove into the mountains to ride the legendary MacKenzie river trail. Unfortunately I found it so difficult it wasn't fun for me. A 14 mile gradual downhill sounds fun but negotiating mound after mound of sharp lava rock garden got old quick. Part of it also was that I hadn't done a lot of off-road riding for several years and I was out-of-practice. It also didn't help that temps were in the 90s and I didn't carry enough water (How much do you need for a 14 mile downhill?), and that my full suspension bike had a less-than-optimal set-up for me at the time. Was the MRT in need of maintenance at the time or was it just my rusty skills and non-optimal riding position?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That's a good photo of a technical, rocky, natural feature that should remain as it is. Unlike the section of roots that prompted this thread because they needed armoring before the trail tread (or the roots themselves) got torn apart, those rocks can survive tires and feet for a very long time.

It's ok if you have to walk around it. I walked around a lot of the lava below Tamolitch Falls / Blue Pool on my first ride of the McKenzie River Trail.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Interesting discussion here. Now can I ask a personal question with a local angle?

In 2009 we took a vacation in Bend and we drove into the mountains to ride the legendary MacKenzie river trail. Unfortunately I found it so difficult it wasn't fun for me. A 14 mile gradual downhill sounds fun but negotiating mound after mound of sharp lava rock garden got old quick. Part of it also was that I hadn't done a lot of off-road riding for several years and I was out-of-practice. It also didn't help that temps were in the 90s and I didn't carry enough water (How much do you need for a 14 mile downhill?), and that my full suspension bike had a less-than-optimal set-up for me at the time. Was the MRT in need of maintenance at the time or was it just my rusty skills and non-optimal riding position?
Yeah that's a nice section of trail.

In a way - it's sort of naturally paved with stone. There's rock upon rock, and loose rocks have been removed and the rocks left have been compacted together.

If you took a rock off the trail, there's another rock beneath it, so without paving this by hand, this is about as smooth as it will ever be.

MRT is not for beginners ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
To anyone who says xc needs to be big ring climbing, when is the last time you watched an xco world cup race? Delightful mix of technical and flow, and plenty of riders on hard tails clearing some gnarly stuff.

I'm amazed Bend trails aren't built up with more rock features that are "rideable but techy." By that I mean more up and overs like the beginning of COD. There is plenty of width available to throw a feature in next to the main trail to keep it all exciting or fast - and something other than just a mound of dirt to huck to flat. With the amount of deadfall and piles of lonely rocks I see in the area there seems, from an out of towner missing his roots and climbs, to be a lot of wasted potential in an effort to keep the trails "oh so buttery smooth."

If you all are going to spend thousands on your FS 29ers, at least give yourself trail to enjoy them on and challenge yourself.

Beef

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
COD is getting relocated some and will indeed have lots of rock. Stay tuned.Flag line is almost complete, construction will start soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is why I rarely leave the south side of the highway. Mountain biking doesn't get much more boring than the Phil's complex.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts