Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I got to make an impromptu visit to downtown Austin via a lovely north-south commuter route that includes some very scenic parks. Today I did a similar trip with my almost-five year old son. Our destination: the "dancing fountains in the sidewalk."

We started off with a stop by our favorite coffee shop for some sustenance. And then some more sustenance. :)

Not long after we set off from the coffee shop (where a wise sage advised Antonio not to look down into the head of the fountain, lest it suddenly shoot up his nose), David joined us on our little adventure. Lo, a camera man! :D

There were a few breaks along the way, like when a guy flagged us down to borrow a pump (and someone to use it, evidently) and when we hiked a water crossing (yes, that's all the water in the creek right now) with some deep, loose gravel and sand.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Along the way, several sounds from my childhood were heard: the slap of a chain on the thin metal of a chain guard; loud whoops when going through a tunnel; that noise that kids can't help but make when they are riding on something bumpy--you know, when you basically hum and let the bumps make your voice jiggle. It certainly was a gigglier trip this time around than it was with my daughter last week.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Up we went onto the bridge spanning Town Lake (aka Lady Bird Lake, aka the Colorado River), where we paused to watch a train crossing over the lake on its parallel bridge, and some kayakers in the water below, and then we were at our destination.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next to the fountains, there is a grassy hill with a nice little area at the top to sit and view the city. Or to flex your muscles.

Also close by, a little pond with some turtles who were delighted to be on the receiving end of a few of Antonio's "Crunchitos."

And to close, a couple of shots of flowers, in this case, some water lilies in the pond.

Antonio's birthday is a week from tomorrow. I asked him tonight what he'd like to do to celebrate. He said he'd like to do the same thing that we did today, only stay longer at the fountains.

Guess he had a good time. :)

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeffw-13 said:
Gotta get one of those flags. Do they make them in carbon fiber?

Great pics, btw.
Hmm, well, it *is* some kind of plastic...

With the first part of our ride being on the road, mom is all about visibility, even though there are designated bike lanes.

What, no comment about the rearview mirror on my glasses??

Safety first! :D

Thanks, everybody. We had a great day, and we both slept very soundly last night. :)

(I guess I failed to mention that our total ride was about 14 miles, and that with all the play time in the middle, we were out for about 4.5 hours.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.