Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
new enough to not know
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! I will be camping at the state park next week and I am looking for the must do trails? I looked at the mtb project map and it looks a little confusing. Are all the trails two direction or one direction? I am not needing to do all the trails in one day just want to be able to enjoy them I will have 4 days to explore.. thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
You will have a blast. Everything there is 2 way trail except for Hobbs Hollow Flow trail which is downhill only. Brown County State Park is known for Fun, Fast and Flow and you can apply that to basically every trail there. My personal favorites are Walnut, Hesitation Point, Green Valley and Hobbs Hollow. But it really depends on what I’m in the mood for that day. Schooner is super technical, to the point of ridiculousness in places, but you can also hike a bike any section that you don’t like. Walnut is about as technical as I like before it’s not really fun anymore, but that’s all personal preference. There are some that would say Schooner is the most fun, if that’s your thing. Ultimately I would recommend you ride every trail there over the 4 days, they’re all so good.

The maps you’ll find are accurate and it’s pretty easy to figure out once you’re out on the trails. There’s good signage. They will give you a property map that is accurate at the gate when you go in. I would suggest keeping this with you at least as a backup to mtb project on your rides. You’ll need to purchase and Off Road Cycling Permit at the gate.

Limekiln is the only one that has a trail head at the campground, so you’ll probably start on that and return on that every ride. It’s one of my favorites too and is super fun. Pro tip: If you have two vehicles, or someone that can pick you up, I often start my rides in the campground and then end at the north parking lot by the outdoor pool. You can do multiple loops and ride all the trails that direction and not have to eventually climb back up to the campground. I do this a lot when I’m there camping several days with family and want to keep my legs a little fresher.

In 4 days you can try everything in the park multiple times and in multiple directions to determine your favorite. You can also go south out of the campground and ride newer trails in the state forest but I don’t have experience on those. The stuff in the park is so good that I never leave the park.

Make sure to check out the little town of Nashville while you’re there. A stop at Big Wood’s Restaurant/Brewery or Big Woods Pizza is a must for any trip to Brown County.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
In 4 days you can try everything in the park multiple times and in multiple directions to determine your favorite. You can also go south out of the campground and ride newer trails in the state forest but I don't have experience on those. The stuff in the park is so good that I never leave the park.

Make sure to check out the little town of Nashville while you're there. A stop at Big Wood's Restaurant/Brewery or Big Woods Pizza is a must for any trip to Brown County.
Decent assessment of the park trails. If you head south out of the campground, you venture out into rougher, more backcountry type trails. Some gravel roads and horse trails to connect different bits of singletrack. Climbs tend to be steeper. Trails tend to be MUCH quieter with less traffic.

·
new enough to not know
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow up to the trip, it went well I rode from the south end on limknen and ended up at the north gate. I rode everything except bobcat and schooner, after walnut I figured out expert/black diamond is out of my experience level for a few more months. I will be back to visit this park thanks for the guidance everyone.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Just a follow up to the trip, it went well I rode from the south end on limknen and ended up at the north gate. I rode everything except bobcat and schooner, after walnut I figured out expert/black diamond is out of my experience level for a few more months. I will be back to visit this park thanks for the guidance everyone.
oh, if walnut pushed you, schooner is going to be a bit outside of your skillset for a whole lot more than just a few months. The vast majority of people, even very skilled riders, have to hike SOMETHING there. Part of that is because it's exhausting and after a certain point, you stop trying certain tech features because you're just trying to stay upright. It's fine. I do recommend going out there with someone else. Plenty of folks have taken a small spill and tumbled down a ravine. It's nice to have help getting back out.

Buddy of mine rode there his first time in the dark. Took said spill and went into a ravine. The brush and rocks and whatnot hid his light from view and it took him quite some time just to find his bike.

Bobcat really isn't that bad. It's difficult in a different way than Walnut is. Aside from the cool, rocky drop-in, it's really not all that chunky. It IS very narrow and tight in spots and will test your balance and handling precision, but there's nothing there that's hard to walk. If you're curious about these trails but intimidated to ride them, I definitely recommend hiking them before lugging your bike back there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looking to head to brown county last weekend of October or first weekend of November. Are there cabins in the park that we can ride from?
I've rented from here a few times. Wide range of cabins at various distances from the park. Key pickup was really seamless.

https://browncountylogcabins.com/

From a lot of the cabins, you likely would need to still drive to the park, but there are a few that are within rideable distance.

There is also the Abe Martin Lodge in the park and it has some cabins. However it tends to rent out pretty early and I've found it hard to get a room there.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/abe/lodging.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.