Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. I am in the market for a Ti bike as I'm sick of the carbon turnover and I want a good bike that I won't break every 6 months. It'll be a 29'er of course and I'd have it built with the superfly geometry. Which one do I get? It looks to be about a 1k price difference in the frames and I'm wondering which is the best buy. Thoughts? I have a couple of my teammates using both and it would be a race bike for sure. I'm currently doing more research to find out what would be better. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Why limit yourself to these two?

Either way, I would contact the companies and see which one you like better. Since it appears you will be after a custom build, I would call them or at least contact them by email and go from there. Many good companies are out there, and each has multiple fan boys (and critics), but the most important relationship is between you and the builder. You have to have that trust in the end product.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to be able to explore all the companies but these are my choices as this is what my shop sponsor can get.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey Ryan,
if you are coming to the chain stretcher and you are curious you are more than welcome to try my lynskey 29er (m) for sizing. I love my Lynskey- It is a keeper.

A couple of your team mates are coming to thebottleride.blogspot.com on 9/24- you should too and you can try my bike there too.

PM me if you are interested in trying it out.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Moots is a very good company, and we have 5 frames of theirs in the household. I can't speak about Lynsky, but I know friends who own their frames and they have ridden them without issue. I've put on a ton of miles under some pretty tough conditions on my Moots bikes and my dealings with Moots have always been spot on. They deliver when they say they will and they have some classy people to deal with.

As for geometry, I tend to believe that it can be overrated. For example, 6 years back I got my Wily frame and it had the long TT - 24.8" - I loved it. I broke the frame at the old Durango MTB 100 and picked up a short-term, cheap Astrix Rook and the TT was 24.4. I got the Wily back, but decided to move over to ti and went with Moots then and the frame I got was 23.5" for the TT. However with a 100mm stem and the layback post it rides pretty much the same as the 90mm stem and straight post on the Wily. For all three bikes the differences to me were so slight I either could not detect or even care if I did. So, my advice is do not just jump on the genesis bandwagon - Moots has been going with layback posts for years for their traditionally shorter TTs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ask yourself....am I more Tennessee or Colorado?

Reactions: mtbmonk

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No experience with moots but I raced a 2010 Lynskey Pro29 SL last year (stolen), and a 2011 Pro29 SL all this year. I'm a big fan. The 2011 is really nice with the extra tire clearance in the rear, 2" downtube, and 44mm headtube. Makes for a very laterally stiff bike that still allows some vertical compliance. I was worried it'd beat me up in longer races after all the talk about added stiffness, but a couple weeks ago I raced the dakota 50 on it and still felt fresh after finishing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say Colorado ;) As far as the geometry I'm sold on the superfly and would build it up with a G2 fork. Nothing else I have tried has been as nice. But then again I haven't tried everything. I'm keeping an open mind and would love to try the other options out there. Just trying to get peoples input. I have two teammates that have Lynskeys and they love them and I've been drooling over Moots for a bit now.

·
SS XC Junkie
505 Posts
I have a a 2011 Pro29. It's a great frame. I'm running a Eriksen layback seatpost (give just a little bit of flex) and it is very comfortable even on endurance rides. Never rode a Moots but the guys who I know with Moots bikes swear by them. I love the pro29 frame because it's very versatile. I can switch between SS or gears depending on what I'm racing/riding. It's very light and stiff also.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just built up a Lynskey Ridgline SS 29 this year, I came from a full sus carbon 26er. I never thought I could find a bike that handled better than my carbon wounder until i rode my Lynskey.
I was a little worried about the longer top tube on the med Lynskey. After setting it up and racing with it, it feels like it was a custom built frame for me.

I'm not sure about the Moots frame designed around an 80mm fork. Seems senseless to me for something with so little travel. IMO, 100mm is where it's at for front cush. But then again I think for 2012 Moots is adding 100mm set up to their line.

I will probably be upgrading my Ridgeline to the Pro 29 er in the Spring.

Good luck,

mojo

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've never ridden a Moots, but I have a 2009.5 Lynskey Pro 29er and I love it. The ride is great for all types of terrain here in CO. I have a Maverick SC32 on it that provides about 87mm of travel and it works great for me. I might not take for an all mountain ride, but I ride it on pretty much all types of terrain and raced it for 3 100 milers this year. I previously have owned a Kona Hei Hei Ti, Titus HCR Ti, and an Ibis Silk Ti all in 26".

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Will Moots build it with custom geo? I was under the impression they were pretty much non custom.... I know of one guy that had some mods done because of some extreme fit/clyde issues and it tacked on some serious $$$ to the already premium price- Beautiful bike/build quality without question / but like other's mentioned there are some serious contenders out there if the sky is the limit price wise...

To your question... Moots by a mile- How many people have you ever found with build/quality issues with a moots? me neither...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm a fan of Steel, tried the SS Superfly and liked the Geo, didn't like the feel. I switched to a 2011 Lyskey Pro29 SS and love it, no complaints. I have always admired the Moots and Eriksens, however never ridden. Either way, IMHO you can't go wrong.

·
SS XC Junkie
505 Posts
To your question... Moots by a mile- How many people have you ever found with build/quality issues with a moots? me neither...

Actually a guy on my team broke his Moots frame earlier this year. Moots replaced it with a new frame. With that being said, I broke my 2010 Lynskey Pro29 frame last year and Lynskey was replacing it with a brand new frame at no cost. I opted to pay a little extra and get a 2011 frame. The 2011 is definitely an improvement over the 2010.

Also if you want a custom geometry Moots, might I speak a little blasphemy and point you at Kent Ericksen. :)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Who says a race bike has to be carbon or Ti? HT or FS? Whats wrong with steel, alum etc....

A big turn off for me in racing back in the mid '90s was the FS rage. Even though the FS designs of that time were ineffient rubish. What happened to racing, or mtn biking, for that matter being fun.

Back in the day one would show up with whatever bike they owned. A spare tube, an extra set of tires incase conditions change. Some GORP, beef jerky and a six pack of beer. Any of those items you would have gladly shared with anyone.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Another thing to consider, if you want to go with the BB30 on the Pro 29, it’s another 500 bucks (not sure why).
Moots claims the BB30 on their frame increases drive line stiffness by 38%. Seems like a pretty high number to me. They are either talking fluff or the old style BB was like a noodle (which I highly doubt). Like to see how they get their data for this.

I get a little worried about manufactures making such claims.

Mojo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys/gals. I am in the market for a Ti bike as I'm sick of the carbon turnover and I want a good bike that I won't break every 6 months. It'll be a 29'er of course and I'd have it built with the superfly geometry. Which one do I get? It looks to be about a 1k price difference in the frames and I'm wondering which is the best buy. Thoughts? I have a couple of my teammates using both and it would be a race bike for sure. I'm currently doing more research to find out what would be better. Let me know.
Ryan.. talk to Jimmy V. Let him show you what Seven can do for you...

1 - 20 of 101 Posts