Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 12-18 months of reading about and researching 29ers, I finally ordered the Moots. I really like the YBB and the workmanship of guys at Moots is top notch. Cant say enough good things about Moots. I also decided to break from tradtiion and go with the Rohloff and a Lefty. I got the frame about 2 months ago and have just finished the build right after christmas. It took a while to get the Rohloff in and the I9 wheel wheel also took a bit of time. I think I have pretty much got the fork dialed in and am narrowing down the stem length/angle. I have a pretty good idea and am going to probably make the final call tomorrow.

Ive got 4 rides on it. All the rides so far are on some new trails I have been cutting, so want to ride on my regular ride trails to do direct comparison to the 26er's. I can already tell I am going to prefer this bike to either of my other two, a Merlin Fat Ti and Yeti Arc Titanium.
<O:p
Bottom line is this bike ROLLS. so smoothe over everything so far and just feels great. The Rohloff, my first, is great. Takes a bit to get used to coming from Shimano. I think the Rohloff will be with me for a looong time.
<O:p></O:p>
Setup:
Frame: Moots Mooto-X w/ Paragon Sliders
Fork (knife): Lefty Max Carbon
Front wheel: Industry Nine lefty hub on DT TK 7.1
Rear wheel: Rohloff on DT TK 7.1
Seatpost: Moots Lay Back
Saddle: Fizik Gobi
Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 11degree flat
Crank: FSA Carbonw/ 46 tooth ring
Pedals: eggbeaters ti spindle
Brakes: Magura Marta
Skewers: Salsa
I have a Boone CR on the way and will be mounting it to a 2007 XTR crankset. I am also going to get Salsa Pro Scandium stem once I finalize the dimensions. Aside from these changes, everything will remain the same.
<O:p>Weight as shown is 26.9lbs</O:p>

Attachments

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Very nice...

Leftys always give me pause. I need to see one up close some day....there is so much I do not understand.

That is a really nice looking bike.

· Registered
4,672 Posts
Very nice bike.

Do you have any pulsing with your rear disk? I have a Speedhub with 160mm rotor and Avid BB7's. I get an anoying pulse when I'm braking hard. Other than that it's been great.

I wish you could use I9 spoke with the speedhub so the wheels could match. Oh well.

· Registered
112 Posts
mootx

great bike mine is still unfinished, mootox HT with ck headset WB rock solid forks managed to 'find' a shortish stem added the bar and levers avid fr disc caliper, waiting on cranks, rear disc caliper and saddle then the wheel build.........sell my old stuff first. Can't wait to put a leg over it!!!

Happy riding

Steve

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!!

The Lefty has surprised me with how nice it rides. Once I got the SPV valve pressure set right, Its great. This is the first one I have had on one of my own bikes, although I had ridden them before.

The Avids I have used in the past seemed to pulseeven with the stock rotors. I seemed to me that the outer ring of the rotors are too narrow and the "arms" on the rotor passed between the pads too much

Steve - I saw your picture of the frame, very nice. you will be real happy with that bike. I also sold a bunch of "old" stuff to help offset the financial outlay.

Special Sauce - I do like the Little Alberts. Thwey are light, the two I got weighed in at 579 and 589 grams, right on the claimed 590 gram weight. The do have pretty good grip, but the problem I am having is that thorns go through like crazy. I had 4 flats in 3 rides - all thorns. I am going to put some continental tubes in with the removeable core, so I can add some stans directly to the tube.

Thanks again all!

· Registered
2,849 Posts
Congrats on the new Moots! Quite a few of these lately - but yours being the first I've seen with the Lefty and Rohloff. I've got a buddy who ride Cannondales and he swears by then Leftys - he's always the first up the mountain and one of the first down it. Is this the one that comes with Terralogic internals?

Looks like one hellofa riding machine - thanks for the post and go enjoy the bike!

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rivet said:
Cool looking bike, but I can't help thinking that for all the money invested, the weight........27lbs?
I could have probably made it lighter and spent less.

The Rohloff adds 1-1.5 lbs, but I am willing to take the penalty for the added reliability and low maintenance of the Rohloff.

I could have also save 1/4 - 1/3 lb with the delgados or another rim. In the case of the delgados, I didnt want to run a rim that specifically states no tubeless. The Stans I wasnt interested in because I didnt want to use Crows and had concerns of interface with other tires. Another penalty I willingly accept.

With the fork, I could have run the Reba and saved 1/3 lb and a lot of cash, but the Lefty is stiffer and has up to 140mm travel (I have it limited to 110mm, 30mm more than Reba). With Lefty, I have the added reliability of coil spring. Plus its just so damn cool looking.

So, in all, I can see a similar build with these changes and maybe others coming in around 24 or less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.