Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to build up a m 29er and i narrowed my choice to these 2 brands.

What would be the better option? I have no experience with 29ers. I made a quick spin on the moots and i liked it from the moment i saw it.

I think the moots in a 20" size looks good and feels good to. The problem with the IF is that you build/buy the bike from a drawing without seeing the end result.

I am 6.2 tall and weight 200 pounds.

What would you do?

Cheers Fatboy.

·
EXORCIZE
2,222 Posts
fatboy66 said:
The problem with the IF is that you build/buy the bike from a drawing without seeing the end result.
IF's custom geometry would almost certainly result in superior fit and riding characteristics. The only problem is the upcharge for it, and possibly a longer wait. That said, the fact that you've ridden the 20" and that your weight is average for your height does make you good candidate for the Moots stock size.

Btw, both companies are top-tier custom houses and have their advocates, so your question may not yield a clear answer. I think here in America, its a west coast/east coast company image/style choice as much as anything else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don't sweat the fit at all. I've had 2 custom bikes from Blacksheep and one from Seven. The fit process is pretty dialed in with companies nowadays. After I filled out the questionnaire with my measurements told them if I was using a straight or laid back post, they asked what size stem, and how many spacers I planned on using under the stem. When I got all of the frames, it was amazing to me that they fit perfectly with the exact stem length, spacers, and saddle in the center of the rails. They were the easiest builds I ever did, no guess work. They even will tell you how much seatpost you'll show (or you can specify how much), it's a great process.

One other question, maybe someone out there can answer. Does Moots still use ONLY straight gauge tubing or have they started butting and manipulating the tubes. If they are still using straight gauge only, I think I'd go with the IF.

I've heard the argument about how straight gauge tubes can be used to tune the ride by using different diameters, but it seems to me that using different size tubes AND using butted tubes would give the builder many more ways of tuning the ride.

Just a thought.

·
Squalor
1,571 Posts
I've had 3 IF's. One was a 29er. I still own two (Club Racer and Planet X). All were/are steel.

I currently own a 20" Mooto-X Ybb.

All great bikes. I'd talk to both companies and see who you like best. I think IF, when left to make the decision, makes a "tighter" MTB than Moots. I'd rather be on my Moots on all day riders.

I'd determine use....then builder.

Really good position to be in. Let us know what you decide to do.

Also, you really should check out Steve Potts. Those three are the top ti builders on my list.

My Moots:

Good Luck

LP

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The problem with custom geometry is that you pay upcharge and it fits YOU, so when you are selling your frame you sell it at a BIG discount. I do not know anyone who owned his/her bike forever.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ryder1 said:
IF's custom geometry would almost certainly result in superior fit and riding characteristics. The only problem is the upcharge for it, and possibly a longer wait. That said, the fact that you've ridden the 20" and that your weight is average for your height does make you good candidate for the Moots stock size.

Btw, both companies are top-tier custom houses and have their advocates, so your question may not yield a clear answer. I think here in America, its a west coast/east coast company image/style choice as much as anything else.
Our shop actually sells both brands. Moots is currently running about 8 week turnaround. IF is about 6-7 weeks from when you sign off on the diagram. From when you submit fit kit, you should see drawing within 3-5 days, depending if the Matt or Joe are traveling. Moots also does a full custom program for an additional 300.00 over retail price.

Unless you are fairly abnormal, I doubt a custom will make THAT much different. On a road bike with a more static riding postition, a custom will def be preferred, but on a MTB, which tends to be much more dynamic, I dont necessarily think that a custom is worth the upcharge. Of course, that changes if you have abnormal body proportions or areas of pain or weakness (bad back, etc) that can be addressed with custom geometry

I personally ride a mooto-x ybb. It was stolen april 19, but the replacement frame came in last week, so looking to build it up quick. By far the best bike I have ridden for the style of riding I do, which is faster XC type stuff. If you are an endurance rider, the moots with the ybb definitely takes the edge off and doesnt beat you up as bad over the long haul. I have a different bike for the gnarly rocks and roots of some of the rougher trails over the midatlantic appalachians

Some smaller things to consider:

- IF lets you pick decal colors and style.

- IF lets you dictate cable routing and water bottle placement and any other little thing, like pump pegs, additional rack mounts, etc. If you order a Moots that has not begin building or is early "in the pipe", you can also make slight changes to cable routing bottle bosses etc. at no extra charge.

- IF will let you dictate degree of slope on the top tube and seat tube length, not that that will be too much of an issue for you at 6'2". With moots, the minimum SP length is predetermined to allow the optimal seatstay angle for the YBB. The 18" is the smallest 29er with YBB.

- IF will build the bike around a certain fork, but I do not know if that is really that beneficial. The differences between A-C and rake on the current forks is not that dramatic, and you can effectively change the rake and handling by changing the tires and/or pressure. You may also decide later you want a new/different fork.

- Both use a similar blasting finish to strengthen the welds and alleviate stress at the weld

- One last item, which may mean nothing is the actual shop. Moots workfloor is immaculate. Everything is spotless and extremely orderly. IF is opposite, stuff is everywhere, piled up on workbenches,etc. I dont think this effects end product as both pay 120% attention to the details of the frame, just funny to look at the differences between to two work areas.

If you decide to go IF, the main thing you will want to do is make sure you work with a shop that has a lot of experience with them, the fit kit, and especially does a good job in the interview process to determine what you are looking for and covering all the bases. A lot of the small issues people end having with an IF is due to the shop not communicating EXACTLY what the customer is looking for. This is usually because they did not ask enough and or the correct questions.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the great input. I read a lot of comments that are usefull in my decision.

The 29" project is as new for me as that i for years ago started with downhill and i had to make a choice in bike and set-up. Now that chapter is over and i want a comfortable 29er to do some nice xc riding. Last year in my last year of DH riding i broke my 5th vertibra and since then i feel my lower back when i do xc riding on my current Yeti ARC. On my enduro bike intense 5.5 i have not that problem.

If i decide for the moots it is maybe good to go for a YBB version for just a little bit more comfort or not? I was first thinking of a rigid version of the Mooto X.

Best regards,

Fatboy

·
Registered
594 Posts
poff said:
The problem with custom geometry is that you pay upcharge and it fits YOU, so when you are selling your frame you sell it at a BIG discount. I do not know anyone who owned his/her bike forever.
Yeah, but if you DON'T pay the upcharge then you're just riding around on an off-the-shelf bike made for anyone in that size slot. Must not always riiiddee Moots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.