Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...actually the pictures really suck but the bike rocks.

I've been playing with the setup on this bike since new years...mostly bars, wheels, tires and saddles. Here's the rundown of the build as it will remain for this summers long ride season:

19 mooto frame
monkey fork with dremmeled bosses
king headset
american classic wheels
moots post, willit's stem
salsa carbon bar
xo drive train
Hurricane cranks with 20-30-40
bonti xr or maxxis ignitor. they're both great!
eggs
avid discs w/ paul levers

The thing I was most leary of was the wheels. They have an extremely narrow flange width and the rims are not eyeletted. I ultimately decided to buy them because they're cheap and I figured I wouldn't be riding them everyday. They were cheap but I have been riding them everyday! They have remainded perfectly true for a few months now and they've seen some pretty hard use under the monkey fork. So far I'm really impressed with them.

The salsa bar was a no-brainer. I needed a flat bar and it needed to be wide. I ordered up both the salsa and a titus ti bar. The salsa looked great and the titus did not. It wasn't as wide as I had asked for and it requires the use of a shim....weak. It's in my garage and I never bothered to install it...the salsa was just to nice...and it's a good deal lighter than the titus.

The gearing is great...I never have to use the granny or the top two cogs.

The bonti tires are great, I bought a few pairs...dig em!

Oh, and the chain is red. I like it.

Any questions?

B

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Classic Profile!

It's been a while since I've seen a new rig with those "old school" proportions. The stem in particular. I haven't seen that rise/ length combo used on a new bike in a long time. I like it!

You mentioned gearing, but didn't list your cassette ratio. Length of crank? I like the red chain, too. Another throwback to BMX times of yore. What brand is it? Thanks!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guitar Ted said:
It's been a while since I've seen a new rig with those "old school" proportions. The stem in particular. I haven't seen that rise/ length combo used on a new bike in a long time. I like it!

You mentioned gearing, but didn't list your cassette ratio. Length of crank? I like the red chain, too. Another throwback to BMX times of yore. What brand is it? Thanks!
Thanks! The stem is a Willit's 120mm x 6 degree. It's apparently the only stem that Wes ever built with two bolts at the steerer clamp and the h-bar.

The cassette is a 12-34.

The cranks are 175. I've been using 180's on my singlespeeds for a while but still prefer 175 for gears and fixed gears.

The chain is a connex....not sure of the model but it has been a great performer....uses a master link almost identical to sram. I bought a few of them at interbike for $10...too good to pass up!

B

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a couple. First is: how are those Pauls working with the Avid discs? I have an old pair o' Pauls and I figure I'd use them with some Avids if I could get sufficient leverage. Second: What's the deal with chain slap? Are you letting that red thing scar up your expensive frame? Your bike looks great; enjoy it this season. Where's the Strong though?

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Old school?

What's so old school about that?

And where'd you get that red chain? I have a bike I'm looking to make uglier.

-M

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AteMrYeats said:
I have a couple. First is: how are those Pauls working with the Avid discs? I have an old pair o' Pauls and I figure I'd use them with some Avids if I could get sufficient leverage. Second: What's the deal with chain slap? Are you letting that red thing scar up your expensive frame? Your bike looks great; enjoy it this season. Where's the Strong though?
Pauls and avid discs are awesome. Very solid feel with great modulation. If your pauls are made for v-brakes you'll be all set.

No prob with chain slap....I've got a clear plastic sticker dealie on there:) My trails climb for ever and then go downhill so fast that I rarely shift for the downs...therefore my chain is almost always in the third cog down from the top...a ways from the chainstay.

The strong is still going strong:)! It's permanently setup as a singlespeed and I wanted a geared bike to complement it. The strong is still my first choice for everything except rides that involve a substantial amount of pavement to get to the trailhead.

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cables Avid Mechs

I noticed you have the "hydro brakehose guides" to the rear disc break. Since there are no cable stops, what brakecables and housings do you use that give a good responsive feel? Seems to mee you should use a housing that gives as less compression as possible.

Nice clean look!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.