Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to make this my do it all mountain bike. I ride mainly fast Southeastern singletrack, but I tend to be a little rough on things. I would love to keep this a light weight and durable build. I have never ridden a 29er but decided to take the plunge sight unseen. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but whatever. An insurance company is paying the tab since my full squish 26er was banged pretty good.

Mooto XZ w/ RP23 (19 inch)
Fox Fork
Full XTR build kit
Easton EC90 Post
Thomson stem
Easton Monkeylite SL bars???
WTB Devo saddle
Wheelset and tires???

I am curious about handlebar and wheelset selection. I see most people are riding flat bars on their 29ers. Why? As for wheels, I am thinking King's laced to Arches or Flows but I am open to recommendations? I have no clue about spokes either (DT Supercomps maybe), but thats just because they were the most expensive and I am not paying for the bike. I would love some input on the build and ways to lighten it up. The webiste I am purchasing through says it will weight 24.5lbs but I think its gonna be closer to 27.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Most people run on flat bars because of the larger front wheel and headtube angle of the 29er. It's a more agreesive position as well. However, it's all about comfort so use what fits you best.

King's w/ Flows is major $$$ that is lightweight and durable, can't go wrong there especially if you are doing all mountain. Also consider the Spinergy Xyclone Disc 29er wheelset. The wheelset is 1650 grams total! That's nuts and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the Flows. I have buddies that use the Spinergy's and they have told me they beat the hell out of them and have never trued them yet after years of use. Spinergy uses a special kind of spoke material technology stronger than stainless steel much lighter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This bike is not going to cost me a nickel so I may as well get a nice set of hubs out of it. I might go with the I-9 classic hubs. I would love to be able to get away with the Arch's, but I don't know how they'll hold up. I like the idea of saving some weight without the rim strips.

Its been pretty fun building a nice bike without having to pay for it!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the King hubs would be a good choice, if you can stand the noise. Doesn't seem to bother most people. I run the Easton bars and like them pretty well. I'd go for a Thomson post over the Easton post, though. I'm not crazy about carbon on the seatpost, and I like the Thomson two-bolt mechanism. All my bikes have two-bolt mechanisms of one sort or another; serrations just suck. For something even more fancy, you could get a Black Sheep post- same Thomson head, but ti shaft. Also- do you need an offset post or a straight post?

The Thomson stem is probably pretty nice, but I was advised to go with a Ritchey on my custom, since they were lighter and cheaper, and I did, because I'm cheap! Also, I don't totally trust the cam mechanism tightening on it, versus the rear-facing bolts on most stems. Ideally, get the shop to let you pay for some swanky stem of some sort, but have them install a cheapo stem in a couple of different lengths and rises, to make sure you have everything totally dialed in before you get the swanky one. It may not be necessary, but if you're not 100% sure, might as well.

Sounds like a great bike! Hurrah for insurance! You'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't forget tall King crownrace, fox does not clear ZX's downtube without it. Mine weighs 28lbs with xtr, eriksen post/devo saddle, fox fork, moots open road stem (negative rise), ritchie wcs xc bar, hope M4's, king/mustang wheels, fasttrack/nevegal tyres and other crap.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
poff - How do you like the bike? This seemed to be the best frame to suit my needs, I just haven't ridden one. Does it feel sluggish at 28lbs.?

I'll be sure to get the tall King race installed. I also have a Thomson Masterpiece post coming with the bike. I thought I would save some weight and put an EC90 post on that I have lying around. And, I swapped the front rotor for a 180mm XTR.

Anyone know of lighter, more reliable brakeset besides XTR. I was on a pair the other day, and they were nice. I liked them better than my Mono Mini's.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It is fine here in NCal, the thing I noticed upon switching from racer X 29er is that 0 degree stem would not work on MZX since I was not able to rail tight uphill switchbacks. I switched to -6 deg stem and it cured the problem. It is not sluggish and if you wat to drop weight get some racing ralphs and save 2 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.